January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the amount of incomings being a problem is a massive red herring personally. Between June 2016 and June 2017, City signed 13 senior players and TWENTY NINE players in total. They seem to be doing OK though? Chelsea signed 11 first teamers in the same period. The issue isn't the number of players we've signed, it's the quality of them.

Well, I'd say in our case we aren't 'used to' that level of squad upheavel. We've always been a stable squad and side and yet we all-but threw that away last season.

As I've also said, we lost our best players and, as you say, the quality we have replaced them with hasn't been up to scratch.

Aye mate, i was more talking about not including him as a reason for squad disruption etc

Just wait though, bet you anything this lad will turn into a bad bad bell in terms of spouting off within a year to the media about moving etc
He is very lukaku-esque in that manner having already had some OTT interviews.

He's since been absolutely scolded by his manager prior to his injury so perhaps that has wound his neck in a bit.

Was including youth... but even so, take that out.

10 new players in the space of six months, costing over £200m. It's a hell of a lot. It's probably been felt moreso because the players who have left were our better players, as well.

It's all about integration mate, and even a large groupm of players can be integrated fine if you bought well and more importantly if you have the right type of characters in the dressing room, but honestly look at this squad, and tell me who the hell you think would take on that role of getting them settled in the team and training etc, can't think of one single person who'd do that in this entire team (maybe Coleman?)

We were all chuffed when he signed, and his first few games he was very good.

Since that injury he picked up against Sunderland - and in the game before that vs United - he has never found his form again and looked a shadow of the player he did last year.

I'd be willing to wager that, alongside Holgate, he'll be very good.

But at the moment he isn't up to scratch and, as such, needs to be on the bench at best.
His injury has clearly hindered him, which he has recently admitted.

We were all chuffed when he signed, and his first few games he was very good.

Since that injury he picked up against Sunderland - and in the game before that vs United - he has never found his form again and looked a shadow of the player he did last year.

I'd be willing to wager that, alongside Holgate, he'll be very good.

But at the moment he isn't up to scratch and, as such, needs to be on the bench at best.
True that. Williams and Jags havent helped. Nor playing 5 at the back with Martina on the left, a fourth choice right back at right back and two granpas along side him.

He struggled. Imagine my shock. Contradicts my last post but he did stuff some pretty basic stuff up. Happy to give him a chance as well.

My argument is slightly different then the 25m v 30m write offs.

Keane: Dropped his head, did the things we signed him for incorrectly and terribly. Played in a role he was signed for. I.e the characteristics he butchered were the ones you mentioned.

Klaassen: Has spent an entire 45m or so in position. Judged on poor performances in unfamiliar roles. I.e the characteristics many judge him on are the ones we knew he didnt have.

completely spot on here...

I think the amount of incomings being a problem is a massive red herring personally. Between June 2016 and June 2017, City signed 13 senior players and TWENTY NINE players in total. They seem to be doing OK though? Chelsea signed 11 first teamers in the same period. The issue isn't the number of players we've signed, it's the quality of them.
As we are raising the bar set by the lovely Rachel Riley for quick maths here, how many of each of City/Chelsea signings after they did that have actually made it into their first teams effectively?

True that. Williams and Jags havent helped. Nor playing 5 at the back with Martina on the left, a fourth choice right back at right back and two granpas along side him.

He struggled. Imagine my shock. Contradicts my last post but he did stuff some pretty basic stuff up. Happy to give him a chance as well.

Oh he's made mistakes mate.

But yeh, he was part of a defence that was changing every week, had no pace and no communication.

Which is why Sam needs to go back to the settled back four that was doing well defensively at first. Okay, we need to oust Martina, but that will improve things.

In other news...

A paper reckons we have lodged a massive 1m bid for Callum Wright from Blackburn.

17yr old Midfielder whom we released 4 years ago.

Learn from your mistakes and include clauses Everton ffs

Bits? I've a feeling our league position would look very different without his goals.
Most of his goals were penalties to be fair.

Let's say Siggy scores those penalties.

Take away a hat trick vs west ham and we still win 1-0 cos of Williams.

We draw 0-0 with Stoke on the opening day and lose to City 1-0. (-3 points)

Can't think of anything else from the top of my head and before you all maul me, YES I am clutching at straws - but everybody did this about Lukaku I'm just making a point. Or losing 3.

So we signed Tosun, a striker who has yet to really show us what he can do. Now how does he compare to Swansea's target Inter Milan's Andre Silva, 22 years old and is a striker. Okay asking price is 35m but have we missed the boat here?

AC Milans?

and he has flopped massively in Italy so far mate

Well, I'd say in our case we aren't 'used to' that level of squad upheavel. We've always been a stable squad and side and yet we all-but threw that away last season.

As I've also said, we lost our best players and, as you say, the quality we have replaced them with hasn't been up to scratch.
That's kind of what I was getting at to be honest. It's pretty normal to sign that amount of players, and there's no reason it shouldn't work - as evidenced by the performance of many teams both at the top end and who've just been promoted (Huddersfield and Brighton brought in 14 and 13 players respectively this summer and are probably overperforming in respect to expectation). It's basically just that we're not used to it, and have put 2 and 2 together to assume that it's the number of signings that have been the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back