January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because we didn't do it properly mate, a squad overhaul can't be done by committee agreements, needed to be one voice making those decisions, and even though i have millions of doubts, it needed to have been walsh, I'm pretty sure that what has occurred is some have been ones they agreed totally on and the rest have been one agreeing to take a player the other suggests in return for getting another he wants that the other didn't.

I can't stand Allardyce, and have major major doubts over Walsh, but 'so far' Tosun and then Walcott makes a hell of a lot more sense than anything we did during the time with Walsh/Koeman making decisions.

IF as i suspect we are after Shaw and possibly Nzonzi (or any other big powerful cmn) plus that random french cb - then have to say 'AT LEAST' it has been a January that makes sense and has a clear direction in recruitment - even if you don't agree with the players chosen etc

Or even if you dislike Allardyce??????

To be perfectly honest we probably could have given Sanchez a go. It's hardly like he's a massive footballing name. We could have paid 30 odd mil for him no problem.

Moshiri reckons we bid 60m for koulibaly so?

We also could have signed VVD from celtic when it was obvious he was decent but everyone flaps over celtic players claiming they can't be good because it's scotland etc (I know how this might be seen as clutching at straws but it's true).

And Burnley are excellent defensively without him and Mee has always been considered the heart of their defence, not Keane. Even the Burnley fans said this prior to us signing him... Everton fans just chose to believe otherwise.

Williams/Holgate is our best cb partnership. If Keane just needs 'someone good' next to him then why can't he play with Holgate? Why can't he make simple distributions or just defend at all in general. Sure he wins some headers but he plods them straight back into danger just like Pickford rockets every ball he claims straight out of play/ to the opposition.

Keane got the plaudits due to his background of being an ex United academy player etc

To be perfectly honest we probably could have given Sanchez a go. It's hardly like he's a massive footballing name. We could have paid 30 odd mil for him no problem.

We also could have signed VVD from celtic when it was obvious he was decent but everyone flaps over celtic players claiming they can't be good because it's scotland etc (I know how this might be seen as clutching at straws but it's true).

And Burnley are excellent defensively without him and Mee has always been considered the heart of their defence, not Keane. Even the Burnley fans said this prior to us signing him... Everton fans just chose to believe otherwise.

Williams/Holgate is our best cb partnership. If Keane just needs 'someone good' next to him then why can't he play with Holgate? Why can't he make simple distributions or just defend at all in general. Sure he wins some headers but he plods them straight back into danger just like Pickford rockets every ball he claims straight out of play/ to the opposition.

Keane got the plaudits due to his background of being an ex United academy player etc

I think the most disgraceful thing about our dramas is.of; All the guys we actually need to get rid nobody wants. If we could get rid of the rubbish, I imagine people would be happy to stick with Klaassen and Sandro.

Koeman and Walsh haven't even bothered using Vaseline to try destroy this club. Incompetent duo.

Left it two seasons too late!.

We did bid 60m for Kouliably. Again, punching above our average. We couldn't sign VVD from Soton though, is my point. We also could have signed Hoedt, but we let him go to Soton and he has fit in nicely. But again, players just dont wanna come here.

Back on Keane though, he was a target for Utd and the RS as well. I cant answer your questions, and I think he has been horrendous but what do you do? 30m, and a fat contract. He legit could be the biggest flop of the lot. And we'd lose big time.

Our fans lack realism sometimes.
Well let's say we signed him for 30m and on a big contract, it's little difference to Klaassen at 25 and on a big contract for instance. Of whom at this moment in time is an expensive flop (could turn it around but just putting it into perspective).

I have to say I don't believe the bid for Koulibaly as if that was the case surely we would've gone in for him again if we were that willing/ or signed another player of that ilk (which I don't believe is Keane).

Of course, the managers or Walsh' influence could've changed our plans there.

Problem with Keane mate, is he strikes me as a follower rather than a leader, so needs to be partnered with an experienced, vocal and good cb partner, not a young kid who needs similar guidance or a past it washed up players who has no legs anymore and who are spending their time worrying about there own game and not helping the younger/less experienced players out a bit. (also have the feeling Keane simply can't play that left cb position so it's either right side or nothing with him- which means him and Holgate won't work)

It,s unbelievable that we spent all that money not having joined up thinking between the DoF and Ronk. They effectively operated in there own silos and burnt down the cash then one of them bottled it and got off with a load more cash.

Pretty much so, it's like organising a wedding and both people doing separate wedding plans then trying to mesh them together, it ain't gonna end up well.

Was including youth... but even so, take that out.

10 new players in the space of six months, costing over £200m. It's a hell of a lot. It's probably been felt moreso because the players who have left were our better players, as well.
I think the amount of incomings being a problem is a massive red herring personally. Between June 2016 and June 2017, City signed 13 senior players and TWENTY NINE players in total. They seem to be doing OK though? Chelsea signed 11 first teamers in the same period. The issue isn't the number of players we've signed, it's the quality of them.

Keane lol. My gosh. We could have had Mcguire and Hoedt for his price. And would have been able to offload somebody like Jags. Just pathetic from Walsh and Koeman. Pathetic. Gotta back him in now though.

We were all chuffed when he signed, and his first few games he was very good.

Since that injury he picked up against Sunderland - and in the game before that vs United - he has never found his form again and looked a shadow of the player he did last year.

I'd be willing to wager that, alongside Holgate, he'll be very good.

But at the moment he isn't up to scratch and, as such, needs to be on the bench at best.

He's over here for treatment right now fam, was in that photo with Tosun

Aye mate, i was more talking about not including him as a reason for squad disruption etc

Just wait though, bet you anything this lad will turn into a bad bad bell in terms of spouting off within a year to the media about moving etc

Well let's say we signed him for 30m and on a big contract, it's little difference to Klaassen at 25 and on a big contract for instance. Of whom at this moment in time is an expensive flop (could turn it around but just putting it into perspective).

I have to say I don't believe the bid for Koulibaly as if that was the case surely we would've gone in for him again if we were that willing/ or signed another player of that ilk (which I don't believe is Keane).

Of course, the managers or Walsh' influence could've changed our plans there.
My argument is slightly different then the 25m v 30m write offs.

Keane: Dropped his head, did the things we signed him for incorrectly and terribly. Played in a role he was signed for. I.e the characteristics he butchered were the ones you mentioned.

Klaassen: Has spent an entire 45m or so in position. Judged on poor performances in unfamiliar roles. I.e the characteristics many judge him on are the ones we knew he didnt have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back