January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
9 signings in the summer introduced into a team that doesn't play football.

1. Martina - We all knew a 9th choice Southampton RB was going to fail. Horrid signing.
2. Pickford - minimal risk
3. Sigurdsson - I've been critical of the fee paid as don't think he is near worth it. But managers persist playing him out of position to accomodate a bloke who lost his legs.
4. Rooney - Our best and our worst. A marketing signing
5. Klaassen - a stupid signing, a signing which made no sense when we were chasing Siggy, wanted Rooney etc. And then played out of position in a team which players a style of football completely opposite of what he is suited too
6. Sandro - see above, minus the stupid signing. he cost 5m after dominating in a top league, yet 6 months in we should write him off
7. Keane - Devoid of confidenceand surrounded by gutless players or poor players. And stuck with guys like Martina next to him. Gets criticism anyway.
8. Vlasic - actually plays football and takes the game on, free of criticism because of it but not played by managers as he doesn't hoof
9. ?im missing someone?

Seriously. We need to give guys a chance. Allardyce might not even be here in July. Perhaps we have a manager who makes guys like Sandro, Klaassen and Keane work. A manager who actually benches Rooney and those spuds like Schneiderlin who walk around.

Writing players off because they dont suit the pathetic game we play and are proven elsewhere is silly. Especially guys we harped on about being a bargain like Sandro.

9 signings in the summer introduced into a team that doesn't play football.

1. Martina - We all knew a 9th choice Southampton RB was going to fail. Horrid signing.
2. Pickford - minimal risk
3. Sigurdsson - I've been critical of the fee paid as don't think he is near worth it. But managers persist playing him out of position to accomodate a bloke who lost his legs.
4. Rooney - Our best and our worst. A marketing signing
5. Klaassen - a stupid signing, a signing which made no sense when we were chasing Siggy, wanted Rooney etc. And then played out of position in a team which players a style of football completely opposite of what he is suited too
6. Sandro - see above, minus the stupid signing. he cost 5m after dominating in a top league, yet 6 months in we should write him off
7. Keane - Devoid of confidenceand surrounded by gutless players or poor players. And stuck with guys like Martina next to him. Gets criticism anyway.
8. Vlasic - actually plays football and takes the game on, free of criticism because of it but not played by managers as he doesn't hoof
9. ?im missing someone?

Seriously. We need to give guys a chance. Allardyce might not even be here in July. Perhaps we have a manager who makes guys like Sandro, Klaassen and Keane work. A manager who actually benches Rooney and those spuds like Schneiderlin who walk around.

Writing players off because they dont suit the pathetic game we play and are proven elsewhere is silly. Especially guys we harped on about being a bargain like Sandro.
Keane is really poor imo.

I agree we should be and in an ideal world it would make a lot of sense.

However, Everton were stupid enough to put this lad on big big money. Money that we'd probably end up paying most of if we loaned him out.

The squad is massive, the wage bill is ridiculous.

We are sell to buy and we're about to blow some dollar on Walcott so I expect Sandro to be sold permanently in an attempt to balance some of the outgoings.
Guys who should be sold before Sandro;
Morgs
Jags
Williams
Macca (and I like the guy for crying out loud !!!)
Besic
Martina (free to Sunderland lol)
Niasse

Some on pretty big wages there. Why rid the guy who has barely played. He isn't surplus, others are with a good bargain signing or two (if Walsh did his job). Plus the snake is gone.

Then there is Sigurdsson. A guy we completely wasted money on with ready made players in the side.

The main issue is that Walcott is our 15th signing in the space of 12 months.

That is way too much squad overhaul in such a short space of time.

Which is why we've got such an imbalanced side.

In part it is mate, BUT the squad in the main is unbalanced more down to NOT in that group of 15 players buying several key positions to make the entire squad a bit more balanced, leading to us playing various players out of position, playing players to 'cover' substandard players, and playing players who do not compliment each other and drag each other down rather than making them stronger as a partnership.

We aren't in a relegation battle. Wouldn't want to loan to Bournemouth anyways tbf.

Rather send him to Spain, make him feel comfortable and then after his holiday in May try to re-integrate him more effectively. Odds on to struggle down South as well, given the rumours of struggling with new country & speaking limited English.
He would learn English a lot better spending all his time amongst English speaking people. Also the problem he has seems to be with the pace and physicality of the prem, he can only be acclimatised to that by playing in the prem? I said Bournemouth as an example after seeing how well they helped rehabilitate Wilshire.

Guys who should be sold before Sandro;
Morgs
Jags
Williams
Macca (and I like the guy for crying out loud !!!)
Besic
Martina (free to Sunderland lol)
Niasse

Some on pretty big wages there. Why rid the guy who has barely played. He isn't surplus, others are with a good bargain signing or two (if Walsh did his job). Plus the snake is gone.

Then there is Sigurdsson. A guy we completely wasted money on with ready made players in the side.
I would sell all of those plus Klaassen, Stek, Pennington etc.

But then begs the question, who would want them!? Teams might actually want Sandro.

I mean honestly I'd keep and loan sandro like you said (if we had that sort of luxury) but I understand why we probably won't as he's come across as crap on the pitch.

Add Bolasie to my list as well. What a stupid signing that was. Missed out on others, so panic and buy the one player who turns up against Everton at Goodison only. I'm glad to have him back from his injury as we are that bad. But in a proper team, I'd wager that Sandro offers more than Bolasie on the left as well.

In part it is mate, BUT the squad in the main is unbalanced more down to NOT in that group of 15 players buying several key positions to make the entire squad a bit more balanced, leading to us playing various players out of position, playing players to 'cover' substandard players, and playing players who do not compliment each other and drag each other down rather than making them stronger as a partnership.

Oh don't get me wrong, we needed the squad overall and I agree with you there^

Just shows what a mess we've made of it.

Nine new signings, was made for the first team this summer. One has quality (Pickford), and another has limited quality (Rooney) due to his age. The rest has failed.

No replacement for Lukaku, was made either.

At the moment a left back is also a serious issue.

This summer we don't even have the Lukaku money.

Ohh dear
Keane will prove to be very good value , Vlasic also.
I don't think it is fair to say Sigurdsson has failed, maybe not delivered as much as we had hoped, but certainly not failed.

Add Bolasie to my list as well. What a stupid signing that was. Missed out on others, so panic and buy the one player who turns up against Everton at Goodison only. I'm glad to have him back from his injury as we are that bad. But in a proper team, I'd wager that Sandro offers more than Bolasie on the left as well.

I like Sandro, but there is zero evidence that he can cut it.

He looks lost. His touch is abysmal. He isn't strong and he isn't rapid. He puts a lot in to games without actually doing much. He's erratic.

Now, the lad is 22. He's come into a crap team playing crap footy in a tough league. It's not all his fault. But ultimately he's on 100k p/week and at the moment is offering about as much to the playing squad as you and me, and when he has been given the chance, has done nothing to warrant retaining his place, really.

It's a shame, because there's definitely a player there in the right system, but we messed it up badly.

I would sell all of those plus Klaassen, Stek, Pennington etc.

But then begs the question, who would want them!? Teams might actually want Sandro.

I mean honestly I'd keep and loan sandro like you said (if we had that sort of luxury) but I understand why we probably won't as he's come across as crap on the pitch.
Stek and Penno I 100% agree with. Forgot they even existed.

And that is the exact reason, I wouldn't sell Sandro mate. he is proven and a loan with wage subsidy is an investment we would get back.

I still have hopes for Klaassen in a normal football side. He has no points on board so nobody wants him. So give him in a chance in a team with proper football. He is working hard and wants to stay here so no point dumping him 6 months in.

Wasn't last year. Again-put someone good next to him and he ain't that bad. Surround him with potatoes and you get an onion. We aren't at the level where we can buy VVD, Davinson Sanchez etc.
He only looks good when you sit way too deep, no surprise burnley are miles better without him. Poor defender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back