January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't last year. Again-put someone good next to him and he ain't that bad. Surround him with potatoes and you get an onion. We aren't at the level where we can buy VVD, Davinson Sanchez etc.
To be perfectly honest we probably could have given Sanchez a go. It's hardly like he's a massive footballing name. We could have paid 30 odd mil for him no problem.

Moshiri reckons we bid 60m for koulibaly so?

We also could have signed VVD from celtic when it was obvious he was decent but everyone flaps over celtic players claiming they can't be good because it's scotland etc (I know how this might be seen as clutching at straws but it's true).

And Burnley are excellent defensively without him and Mee has always been considered the heart of their defence, not Keane. Even the Burnley fans said this prior to us signing him... Everton fans just chose to believe otherwise.

Williams/Holgate is our best cb partnership. If Keane just needs 'someone good' next to him then why can't he play with Holgate? Why can't he make simple distributions or just defend at all in general. Sure he wins some headers but he plods them straight back into danger just like Pickford rockets every ball he claims straight out of play/ to the opposition.

Stek and Penno I 100% agree with. Forgot they even existed.

And that is the exact reason, I wouldn't sell Sandro mate. he is proven and a loan with wage subsidy is an investment we would get back.

I still have hopes for Klaassen in a normal football side. He has no points on board so nobody wants him. So give him in a chance in a team with proper football. He is working hard and wants to stay here so no point dumping him 6 months in.
Whilst it's all true, and I do commend the lad for wanting to stay and fight for his place (who wouldn't for 100k+ a week ayyy) - Sandro hasn't come out and said the same has he?

I don't find it hard to imagine he's actually asked to leave.

The main issue is that Walcott is our 15th signing in the space of 12 months.

That is way too much squad overhaul in such a short space of time.

Which is why we've got such an imbalanced side.

and 15 signings mate?

Walcott, Tosun, Rooney, Sigurdsson, Pickford, Keane, Sandro, Klassen, Vlasic, Martina, Schneiderlin, Lookman - i make that 12 not 15 (not gonna and you shouldn't either include lads signed for the academy or Onyekuru who has never set foot at FF yet alone trained with the team)

2 of those Schnedierlin and Lookman where added last January - over a year ago nearly so wouldn't count them as 'new players' as such

Just how much squad overhaul was there though exactly.

NAme the typical starting 11 right now, it'd be Pickford (new), Kenny, Holgate, Williams/Jags, Martina (new), Schneiderlin/Davies, Gueye, Rooney (new), Bolasie/Lennon, Sigurdsson (new) and up till last week DCL.

Thats only 3 new players who'd go into the most typical starting 11 - at a push you could maybe say that 1 additional new player has more often than not been included - which would bring it to 4 (one of those being a keeper who in no way shape or form will have unbalanced anything)

In part it is mate, BUT the squad in the main is unbalanced more down to NOT in that group of 15 players buying several key positions to make the entire squad a bit more balanced, leading to us playing various players out of position, playing players to 'cover' substandard players, and playing players who do not compliment each other and drag each other down rather than making them stronger as a partnership.

It,s unbelievable that we spent all that money not having joined up thinking between the DoF and Ronk. They effectively operated in there own silos and burnt down the cash then one of them bottled it and got off with a load more cash.

and 15 signings mate?

Walcott, Tosun, Rooney, Sigurdsson, Pickford, Keane, Sandro, Klassen, Vlasic, Martina, Schneiderlin, Lookman - i make that 12 not 15 (not gonna and you shouldn't either include lads signed for the academy or Onyekuru who has never set foot at FF yet alone trained with the team)

2 of those Schnedierlin and Lookman where added last January - over a year ago nearly so wouldn't count them as 'new players' as such

NAme the typical starting 11 right now, it'd be Pickford (new), Kenny, Holgate, Williams/Jags, Martina (new), Schneiderlin/Davies, Gueye, Rooney (new), Bolasie/Lennon, Sigurdsson (new) and up till last week DCL.

Thats only 3 new players who'd go into the most typical starting 11 - at a push you could maybe say that 1 additional new player has more often than not been included - which would bring it to 4 (one of those being a keeper who in no way shape or form will have unbalanced anything)

He's over here for treatment right now fam, was in that photo with Tosun

He would learn English a lot better spending all his time amongst English speaking people. Also the problem he has seems to be with the pace and physicality of the prem, he can only be acclimatised to that by playing in the prem? I said Bournemouth as an example after seeing how well they helped rehabilitate Wilshire.
If he went to Bournemouth for 6 months and they paid even 30k a week Id be ecstatic.

Does well: Try integrate him. Fail? Loan to Spain for a year & sell after that.
Doesn't do well: Loan to spain & sell after he does well.

Minimal risk. High reward.

We aren't in a relegation battle. Wouldn't want to loan to Bournemouth anyways tbf.

Rather send him to Spain, make him feel comfortable and then after his holiday in May try to re-integrate him more effectively. Odds on to struggle down South as well, given the rumours of struggling with new country & speaking limited English.
He would learn English a lot better spending all his time amongst English speaking people. Also the problem he has seems to be with the pace and physicality of the prem, he can only be acclimatised to that by playing in the prem?

and 15 signings mate?

Just want to point out that Lookman/Schneiderlin were signed in January, and it is currently next years January.

That is not over one year, it is one year.

Quick maths.

Keane will prove to be very good value , Vlasic also.
I don't think it is fair to say Sigurdsson has failed, maybe not delivered as much as we had hoped, but certainly not failed.
Perhaps. But we a not moving forward with those signings you mention. They are medicore, at best

To be perfectly honest we probably could have given Sanchez a go. It's hardly like he's a massive footballing name. We could have paid 30 odd mil for him no problem.

Moshiri reckons we bid 60m for koulibaly so?

We also could have signed VVD from celtic when it was obvious he was decent but everyone flaps over celtic players claiming they can't be good because it's scotland etc (I know how this might be seen as clutching at straws but it's true).

And Burnley are excellent defensively without him and Mee has always been considered the heart of their defence, not Keane. Even the Burnley fans said this prior to us signing him... Everton fans just chose to believe otherwise.

Williams/Holgate is our best cb partnership. If Keane just needs 'someone good' next to him then why can't he play with Holgate? Why can't he make simple distributions or just defend at all in general. Sure he wins some headers but he plods them straight back into danger just like Pickford rockets every ball he claims straight out of play/ to the opposition.
We did bid 60m for Kouliably. Again, punching above our average. We couldn't sign VVD from Soton though, is my point. We also could have signed Hoedt, but we let him go to Soton and he has fit in nicely. But again, players just dont wanna come here.

Back on Keane though, he was a target for Utd and the RS as well. I cant answer your questions, and I think he has been horrendous but what do you do? 30m, and a fat contract. He legit could be the biggest flop of the lot. And we'd lose big time.

Our fans lack realism sometimes.

and 15 signings mate?

Was including youth... but even so, take that out.

10 new players in the space of six months, costing over £200m. It's a hell of a lot. It's probably been felt moreso because the players who have left were our better players, as well.

Oh don't get me wrong, we needed the squad overall and I agree with you there^

Just shows what a mess we've made of it.

Because we didn't do it properly mate, a squad overhaul can't be done by committee agreements, needed to be one voice making those decisions, and even though i have millions of doubts, it needed to have been walsh, I'm pretty sure that what has occurred is some have been ones they agreed totally on and the rest have been one agreeing to take a player the other suggests in return for getting another he wants that the other didn't.

I can't stand Allardyce, and have major major doubts over Walsh, but 'so far' Tosun and then Walcott makes a hell of a lot more sense than anything we did during the time with Walsh/Koeman making decisions.

IF as i suspect we are after Shaw and possibly Nzonzi (or any other big powerful cmn) plus that random french cb - then have to say 'AT LEAST' it has been a January that makes sense and has a clear direction in recruitment - even if you don't agree with the players chosen etc

So we signed Tosun, a striker who has yet to really show us what he can do. Now how does he compare to Swansea's target Inter Milan's Andre Silva, 22 years old and is a striker. Okay asking price is 35m but have we missed the boat here?

I think the most disgraceful thing about our dramas is. All the guys we actually need to get rid of; nobody wants. If we could get rid of the rubbish, I imagine people would be happy to stick with Klaassen and Sandro.

Koeman and Walsh haven't even bothered using Vaseline to try destroy this club. Incompetent duo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back