January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd question anyone's opinion who thinks there aren't probably 40 left backs in England alone who are better than Martina mate. This lad was deemed not good enough at right back for a side in 17th after being 3rd choice their for years.
Yes but we want better than those that are available

Jesmond isn`t like Newcastle, as it`s full of students from elsewhere and arty farty types, that`s the attraction of the place.

And the cracking old boozers at the back of Osbourne Rd ;)

No, you are correct. Jesmond is akin to Kensington but I only lived there for a period, also in Gateshead and in the town centre.

Spy bar, Osbournes, Jam Jar in Jesmond always a laugh, lovely place.

We enquired about Ben Chilwell of Liecester but were told he was not for sale.

Do tell us more

That's it. They have inquired about a number of players. Ben Chilwell was the only specific name that I heard. We were not encouraged to take it any further

Cool, thanks.

Who told you this btw?

someone involved in the search.

You're coming across slightly ITK but if Stafylidis isn't an upgrade on Martina for a 6 month loan then I give up watching football.

Mate, no offense, but tahts chatting utter tripe. Almost literally ANYONE is "good enough" to displace Martina at LB. I'm not being sensationalistic or going over the top, literally any LB in a top 2 division is better than Martina at LB.

You may think so, but that's a matter of opinion. All I can tell you is that 2 nights ago, I was told by one of the protagonists, "Walcotts done, now for a Left Back".

I rarely get ITK info, but this time I have. They are searching, I promise.

Anyway, enough. I will report back if I hear anything else, though I doubt I will.

Yeh but there is no point in getting any old left back in just because cuco is woeful. Baines is better than "any old left back" and may be back soon. As the poster clearly said, the ones that are good enough are not available.

I'd question anyone's opinion who thinks there aren't probably 40 left backs in England alone who are better than Martina mate. This lad was deemed not good enough at right back for a side in 17th after being 3rd choice their for years.

But, being better than Martina is not the criterion we should use to sign a player.

1 -- Chilwell would have been ideal really...I posted a couple of weeks ago i'd go up to 40mil for him. 2 years younger than when we signed Baines and I guess his value now would be 20-25mil but he's English so 10mil premium + they wont want to sell. Yes its a massive amount but as with Sessegnon, enormous potential and long term...

2 -- Its folly to suggest signing a player better than Cuco...we're then lumbered with yet another squad player...better to go after a top player or someone with massive potential. Sorry @Nymzee but the Greek was dropped this season...do we really want Augsbergs 2nd choice full back?

Shaw, Chilwell or Sessegnon for me...ideally Chilwell or Sessegnon and drop some cash.

1 -- Chilwell would have been ideal really...I posted a couple of weeks ago i'd go up to 40mil for him. 2 years younger than when we signed Baines and I guess his value now would be 20-25mil but he's English so 10mil premium + they wont want to sell. Yes its a massive amount but as with Sessegnon, enormous potential and long term...

2 -- Its folly to suggest signing a player better than Cuco...we're then lumbered with yet another squad player...better to go after a top player or someone with massive potential. Sorry @Nymzee but the Greek was dropped this season...do we really want Augsbergs 2nd choice full back?

Shaw, Chilwell or Sessegnon for me...ideally Chilwell or Sessegnon and drop some cash.

I am really not that impressed with Chilwell,you mention Baines as a comparison, Ijust don't see Chilwell getting anywhere near the goals and assists or even accurate crosses as Baines was doing and continued to do for a good few years.

I have seen very little of Seesignon but, like what I hear, more so than Chilwell.

There is only one LB I really want and Celtic just won't let us have him, he is THE one.

I am really not that impressed with Chilwell,you mention Baines as a comparison, Ijust don't see Chilwell getting anywhere near the goals and assists or even accurate crosses as Baines was doing and continued to do for a good few years.

I have seen very little of Seesignon but, like what I hear, more so than Chilwell.

There is only one LB I really want and Celtic just won't let us have him, he is THE one.

If we are spending 20-25mil on a 29 year old (almost) Walcott + spent 30mil on Pickford (keepers are generally cheaper) then 30-40mil for a young left back 'should' be In line with these numbers...

Sessegnon isn't proven in the prem but looks immense and the stats are incredible + crazy age for the performances.

Chilwell doesn't look as good as baines but has 2 years on him to get to baines level when we signed him and could be mentored by him?

Tierney...celtic wouldn't turn down a big offer from us...they cant afford to.

Jesus mate, Chilwell is aright, but seriously he's not anything close to a 40m quid player and never will be.

You're comparing a lad with 1 career assist and 1 career goal in like 50 games against Baines with his 38 goals and 64 assists in his 380+ games for us

If we are spending 20-25mil on a 29 year old (almost) Walcott + spent 30mil on Pickford (keepers are generally cheaper) then 30-40mil for a young left back 'should' be In line with these numbers...

Sessegnon isn't proven in the prem but looks immense and the stats are incredible + crazy age for the performances.

Chilwell doesn't look as good as baines but has 2 years on him to get to baines level when we signed him and could be mentored by him?

Tierney is the best of those by a mile, Sessegnon - is all about his attacking play - a MotD player atm, no idea if the lad can defend or will he end up playing as a winger like bale did, Chilwell - massively hyped up in the media before he ever kicked a ball for them, never seen anything special in the lad when I've seen him play - if he wasn't English no one would even think he's better than a decent young player

Would they accept McCarthy as part of any deal. I know he's had a bit of a revival but this has happened before and then bang he's out for months again. I'd sooner get rid of him and get a LB in that will balance out the squad

..reports that Everton have bid £1m for 17 year old Blackburn midfielder, Callum Wright. Apparently he was part of our academy but released when he was 13. Sounds a little like the Baines and Jagielka situation.

Let's hope it works out as well as those two. Glad to see us bring him home if it works out.

..reports that Everton have bid £1m for 17 year old Blackburn midfielder, Callum Wright. Apparently he was part of our academy but released when he was 13. Sounds a little like the Baines and Jagielka situation.
Hi Eggs, How long has the scout Martyn Glover been with us. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back