January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
..I think we were linked with a Chelsea LB in the summer. The lad was just coming back from a serious injury.

Rahm I think it was eggs. I thought I'd seen a little link right at the start of the window but I was probably just hung over from NYE ;)

Baba Rahmann or something.

Not sure he’s very good.

Looked like a decent young player with pace in Germany...went to Chelsea...wasn't played then got a bad injury.

baba rahman

What were baines stats at the same age?

up to21 - 73 games in lower leagues 1 goal

21-22 37 games in premier league 0 goals

22-23 35 games in premier league 3 goals

23-25 53 games in premier league 1 goal

so until the age of 25 baines had 5 goals in the premier league...

I especially like Chilwell as he's part of the u21 side along with our other kids...good to add to that group. They all stick up for each other as weve seen and become a unit within a squad...good for morale.

Sessegnon will be at that level soon enough...signing him and playing him left back this season would be a steep curve but well worth a big fee.

How to gauge Tierney in that league and why hasn't anyone signed him?

100% I like McCarthy but he should have been moved on 2 years ago. Perfect time now hes fit.

If that's the case why did we sign Walcott...
Probably because they feel he's a bargain and he is someone they really want, not just a stop gap for this year?

Probably because they feel he's a bargain and he is someone they really want, not just a stop gap for this year?

if we ignore this season then...

we have 8months of football out of him before he hits 30.

That's the definition of a stopgap signing for me personally...

if we ignore this season then...

we have 8months of football out of him before he hits 30.

That's the definition of a stopgap signing for me personally...

Not if you see him contributing heavily over 2-3 more seasons. I'm not saying don't sign a LB, I'm just saying maybe they really want someone who isn't available until summer. We're not winning anything this season, and we're not going to fix every issue in this window. Having said that I want us to sign a LB.

outs before any more ins now??

walcott will mean we can offload one of lennon or niasse, maybe we'll offload both. if we can get good fees you'd hope both would be off, as well as one of mccarthy and besic.

Didn't allardyce say at the start of the window he had £75m to spend? Seeing as half of that has gone on tosun and walcott (maybe only about £30m of that based on some of the payment breakdown theories for the tosun deal), we can expect 2 more ins? Hopefully a centre back and a left back. I presume that was £75m including whatever we got for outs.

Then again, if we're spending £13m of it on that french kid, that leaves just a left back to come in now? I'd rather we get in a centre back now to bed in and then get them a partner in the summer for big money because we need two. Getting one now means we could probably offload jags for a minor fee, which will only get smaller by the summer.

1 -- Chilwell would have been ideal really...I posted a couple of weeks ago i'd go up to 40mil for him. 2 years younger than when we signed Baines and I guess his value now would be 20-25mil but he's English so 10mil premium + they wont want to sell. Yes its a massive amount but as with Sessegnon, enormous potential and long term...

2 -- Its folly to suggest signing a player better than Cuco...we're then lumbered with yet another squad player...better to go after a top player or someone with massive potential. Sorry @Nymzee but the Greek was dropped this season...do we really want Augsbergs 2nd choice full back?

Shaw, Chilwell or Sessegnon for me...ideally Chilwell or Sessegnon and drop some cash.

He's dropped because of Philipp Max not because he's crap.

What were baines stats at the same age?

up to21 - 73 games in lower leagues 1 goal

21-22 37 games in premier league 0 goals

22-23 35 games in premier league 3 goals

23-25 53 games in premier league 1 goal

so until the age of 25 baines had 5 goals in the premier league...

conveniently leave out the stats about baines' premier league record assists total. Nicely done zat.

walcott will mean we can offload one of lennon or niasse, maybe we'll offload both. if we can get good fees you'd hope both would be off, as well as one of mccarthy and besic.

Didn't allardyce say at the start of the window he had £75m to spend? Seeing as half of that has gone on tosun and walcott (maybe only about £30m of that based on some of the payment breakdown theories for the tosun deal), we can expect 2 more ins? Hopefully a centre back and a left back. I presume that was £75m including whatever we got for outs.

Then again, if we're spending £13m of it on that french kid, that leaves just a left back to come in now? I'd rather we get in a centre back now to bed in and then get them a partner in the summer for big money because we need two. Getting one now means we could probably offload jags for a minor fee, which will only get smaller by the summer.

i'd rather a decent central midfielder than a centre back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back