January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not if you see him contributing heavily over 2-3 more seasons. I'm not saying don't sign a LB, I'm just saying maybe they really want someone who isn't available until summer. We're not winning anything this season, and we're not going to fix every issue in this window. Having said that I want us to sign a LB.

My thoughts, we don't have a good track record on 'waiting' on targets mate, they never ever seem to end up here when we do so, we also need at all costs to avoid a repeat of this seasons 'bedding in problems' so get as much as possibly can be done this january, full pre season not disrupted one, then add the one or two players of quality in other positions needed, but not one as glaring as not having a semi competent fullback in the team

walcott will mean we can offload one of lennon or niasse, maybe we'll offload both. if we can get good fees you'd hope both would be off, as well as one of mccarthy and besic.

Didn't allardyce say at the start of the window he had £75m to spend? Seeing as half of that has gone on tosun and walcott (maybe only about £30m of that based on some of the payment breakdown theories for the tosun deal), we can expect 2 more ins? Hopefully a centre back and a left back. I presume that was £75m including whatever we got for outs.

Then again, if we're spending £13m of it on that french kid, that leaves just a left back to come in now? I'd rather we get in a centre back now to bed in and then get them a partner in the summer for big money because we need two. Getting one now means we could probably offload jags for a minor fee, which will only get smaller by the summer.

Nah the rumour went around from one of the papers that he had that much mate.

As for outs, i think any player brought in for a position will see one going out in that, so Lennon out for Walcott, Niasse out for Tosun, a few who barely feature can be shifted on with no effect on the depth - Besic for example and Sandro and Klassen who lets face it have not even been in many squads.

IF we lose any more players who've featured regularly then pretty sure we will only do so to bring in another - so if Schneiderlin got sold - nailed on another cm incoming etc.

Get Tierney or Sessegnon signed. Then we've got Baines and one of those 2 until season's end, which means the younger full back can hit the ground running next season.

i'd rather a decent central midfielder than a centre back

i'm just always wary about too much change, which has sort of been reflected this season and i think when you look at the names we have to play CM, they're all good players, they're just playing like idiots most of the time. And then there's the fact that none of them are actually ball carriers and none of them too creative either ... as well as none of them being actually able to defend.

In time i would like that sorted, but our current list of centre backs are all a bit terrible so that's why i feel that's more of a pressing need. Two are on the verge of retirement, one is very young, one has been an abysmal signing and the other has been injured for over a year.

Nah the rumour went around from one of the papers that he had that much mate.

As for outs, i think any player brought in for a position will see one going out in that, so Lennon out for Walcott, Niasse out for Tosun, a few who barely feature can be shifted on with no effect on the depth - Besic for example and Sandro and Klassen who lets face it have not even been in many squads.

IF we lose any more players who've featured regularly then pretty sure we will only do so to bring in another - so if Schneiderlin got sold - nailed on another cm incoming etc.

yeah i agree, except we were one too short on the striker front so i don't think tosun's signing alone would push niasse out. I think combining that with walcott who can also play there is what will be the major factor. As well as the fact he's actually been good, but everyone knows deep down it's temporary as he's a bit crap.

Get Tierney or Sessegnon signed. Then we've got Baines and one of those 2 until season's end, which means the younger full back can hit the ground running next season.

Am I the only one that thinks Sessegnon is just a winger playing LB and that Tierney has limited upside and it overrated? I would have both, don't get me wrong, but I guess I just like a bit more defense with my athleticism.

Am I the only one that thinks Sessegnon is just a winger playing LB and that Tierney has limited upside and it overrated? I would have both, don't get me wrong, but I guess I just like a bit more defense with my athleticism.
That's the modern game. Full backs are attacking weapons these days. They have to be able to get up and down the pitch, as teams don't generally play wingers any more.

That sounds great except we won't be able to sign either of them. Tierney will not leave Celtic and if he does it will be for a bigger side. Sessegnon will probably be signed by the Spurs or ManU

Alright, two positive signings so far. Not world beaters, but both players by all accounts upgrade the squad, and fill glaring needs. Now, we desperately need a CB and LB (to state the bleeding obvious) - please Everton make this happen. Surely you can see these two positions as desperate needs? Also, being greedy I know, but another forward/striker would not go amiss!

Then sell Besic, Schneiderlin, Lennon, Martina (LOL - give him away), Sandro, Klassen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back