Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes that was the date that was quite widely given. There are quotes from Koeman as late as September saying he’d be in full training in November.

I’m not knocking the lad obviously, just saying it was fairly widely reported that he’d be back by now at the latest so it’s hardly a shock.
At the time I thought that was to justify not getting a RB in the summer. How many players have come back from that kind of injury in 9 months.

..or Crystal Palace from the sound of things. Shame about Konsa if true. Saying that, it might spark us into signing him.
Powerful lad Babacar ,could do well at palace, gets about the pitch good as well. Been impressed with him the few times I have seen him, wouldn't mind him here, but we have more urgent needs elsewhere in the team, can't see us going for him.

Galloway did a decent job at left back the other season, surely either him or Garbutt could do a job until Baines is back and we can upgrade in the summer?
I really don’t get the shouts for Garbutt and Galloway. These are players that have been deemed not good enough to get games in the championship. We need to sign a new left back. Period.

I told everyone that we wouldn't be getting a LB and no one believed.

Hopefully this is Sam playing mind games with the media and Cuco Martina.

If he comes out and says we are looking to sign a left back,

1) It straight away knocks Cuco Martina's confidence, he's playing badly , in a position he is not used to playing in. Knowing you are going to loose your place in the team, won't do him any good.

2) Any club, knowing we are actively looking to fill a certain position whether it be LB, CF, CM, will automatically put an extra 5-10M on the price, just as they tried to in summer , when we were looking at strikers.

....20 days into the January transfer window and despite Allardyce saying there will be no more incomings at Everton, there are still a few rumours this Saturday morning;

- BBC and other outlets say Everton have agreed to sell Aaron Lennon to Burnley for an undisclosed sum. The player has agreed personal terms and will undergo a medical today.

- According to The Daily Mirror, Liverpool are now leading the race to sign young Charlton centre back, Ezri Konsa. Everton have been strongly linked with the player but it looks like their neighbours will sign the 20 year old.

- The Independent says Everton Manager, Sam Allardyce, has almost admitted defeat in his attempts to sign a Left Back. The Daily Mail, however, reports Allardyce might switch his attention to 28 year old West Ham defender Aaron Cresswell.

- Florence newspaper, La Nazione, suggest Crystal Palace and Everton are trying to sign 24 year old striker, Khouma Babacar, from Fiorentina.

- The Liverpool Echo continue to link Everton with Lille defender, Adama Soumaoro.

I really don’t get the shouts for Garbutt and Galloway. These are players that have been deemed not good enough to get games in the championship. We need to sign a new left back. Period.

I agree - we do need to sign a new left back - but it doesn't look like we are yet according to the important people at Everton so we need to look at other options.
Those options must include 2 of our own players who actually played that position and both did well for us when they did.
I know they haven't shone at their Championship clubs but they were good enough for us when called upon before so until Baines returns (we may be only talking a week or two) I think we should utilise them.
Better them than Martina anyway!
Then in the summer spend £40m on a proper ace left back.

..Coleman’s debut but my memory is useless. Despite the hammering I actually enjoyed that day in Lisbon.

I think we were so injury hit that we played Gosling at right back, Coleman at left back and Tony Hibbert might have been at centre half although someone would need to check that. I would do it myself but I don't really want to relive that game...

I think Martina would struggle to get games at left back in the championship.

When you’ve been at Everton on big dough, had smoke blown up your arse all you career, you’ve been a top England player in all age groups, already had random opportunities in the premier league, with some big clubs chasing you as your contract is ending then you find yourself struggling at Wigan or a like it must be very difficult to motivate yourself, not everyone is cut for the same cloth. To get a second wind at Everton could be that springboard he needs.

I’ve seen literally 100s of kids released by cat 1 clubs at 10-16 and just give in. Give it a month at lower clubs and just realise there’s no hunger there, they’ve been ruined already.

I personally don’t think Garbutt’s quick enough to be a top premier league player but some of his attributes, particularly his left foot is right up there with the best in the league and as good as Baines in his pomp.

If he’s given a 2nd chance and embraces it, he’s a much better left back than Martina IMO.

Get rid of deadwood, maybe add one or two. I know we need LB but we can manage without. We can address it in the summer.

We dont want to over do it like we did in the summer.

Cenk Tosun & Walcott good additions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back