Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
...he’s said he want to cut the squad, so a stop gap now plus a long-term acquisition in the summer means 2 extra players coming in. Lots depends on Baines’ return.
well, no, a loan now for 6 months and a player in the summer means 1 player coming in long term, not 2. And I think we need to be a bit realistic about Baines coming back, a) he's not been the same since that ankle injury a couple years ago and b) we have no idea if this is the only "issue" he's going to have. Not getting another LB for the rest of the season means if Baines goes down, even from something else, we are BACK to the worst player in the Premier League.

Just saw news that Baines is out another month atleast.

Starting to get the feeling that he's finished. I hope im wrong

Maybe we should hit to LB market after all.

Thought this a month or so ago when allardyce said 'we cant really rely on leighton baines any more'

Over the years the lad has played through many an injury for us so i wouldnt be suprised to see it take its toll now

well, no, a loan now for 6 months and a player in the summer means 1 player coming in long term, not 2. And I think we need to be a bit realistic about Baines coming back, a) he's not been the same since that ankle injury a couple years ago and b) we have no idea if this is the only "issue" he's going to have. Not getting another LB for the rest of the season means if Baines goes down, even from something else, we are BACK to the worst player in the Premier League.

...finding a 6 Month loan deal would be difficult, particularly for somebody good.

We clearly need a long-term, top quality LB but i’d much prefer Allardyce to get the player he wants. I’m not as bothered as others about making do with what we already have on our books for the rest of the season.

...finding a 6 Month loan deal would be difficult, particularly for somebody good.

We clearly need a long-term, top quality LB but i’d much prefer Allardyce to get the player he wants. I’m not as bothered as others about making do with what we already have on our books for the rest of the season.

Normally I'd agree eggs and say Allardyce should wait. But I think that left side is such an issue that its impacting on results and other players performances trying to cover for him that if it's left until the summer Allardyce might not have a job. Certainly a few more Spurs type performances that we witnessed last week won't be accepted.

So if I was Allardyce I would be pushing hard to get the players in I wanted to ensure I get the right results and in turn securing my job safety

I think we were so injury hit that we played Gosling at right back, Coleman at left back and Tony Hibbert might have been at centre half although someone would need to check that. I would do it myself but I don't really want to relive that game...

We wernt injury hit that bad. Moyes was making a statement and trying to put pressure on bill to give him funds. Was kind of a "don't give me money this is the team I will put out"

Mate, I feel like I'm "attacking" you, so I apologize. But we don't even NEED "somebody good". Literally any LB in the top 2 divisions of a relatively "big" league would suffice. The entire team is covering for how terrible Martina is. It's pulling everyone over to help cover him. You saw Spurs notice that and attack it regularly. He has no business on the pitch, much less in that position.

Normally I'd agree eggs and say Allardyce should wait. But I think that left side is such an issue that its impacting on results and other players performances trying to cover for him that if it's left until the summer Allardyce might not have a job. Certainly a few more Spurs type performances that we witnessed last week won't be accepted.

So if I was Allardyce I would be pushing hard to get the players in I wanted to ensure I get the right results and in turn securing my job safety

...I suppose much depends on Baines being fit. I appreciate it’s a struggle with Martina but Allardyce might think he managed to struggle through and get decent results with him so far. He is bad, though.

I think we were so injury hit that we played Gosling at right back, Coleman at left back and Tony Hibbert might have been at centre half although someone would need to check that. I would do it myself but I don't really want to relive that game...
Will probably get laughed out of town for this but if Hibbert was 2-3" taller I think he would have been an England regular at CB. This is before the whole "ball playing CB". Defensively, always thought he was a 7 or above. Just.....TERRIBLE at going forward.

Mate, I feel like I'm "attacking" you, so I apologize. But we don't even NEED "somebody good". Literally any LB in the top 2 divisions of a relatively "big" league would suffice. The entire team is covering for how terrible Martina is. It's pulling everyone over to help cover him. You saw Spurs notice that and attack it regularly. He has no business on the pitch, much less in that position.

...I absolutely get where your coming from and respect your point. There might be a 6 month loan out there, although Antonee Robinson (Bolton) and Callum Connolly (Ipswich) are already our players but playing in the Championship. Seems a bit daft that we allowed both to go on loan.

...I absolutely get where your coming from and respect your point. There might be a 6 month loan out there, although Antonee Robinson (Bolton) and Callum Connolly (Ipswich) are already our players but playing in the Championship. Seems a bit daft that we allowed both to go on loan.
Such a "decisive" manager that we allowed 2 promising youngsters to go out on loan and not register another one meaning we literally had 0 cover for a 33 year old LB.

Just a pathetic manager. Hope he never gets an opportunity again.

Such a "decisive" manager that we allowed 2 promising youngsters to go out on loan and not register another one meaning we literally had 0 cover for a 33 year old LB.

Just a pathetic manager. Hope he never gets an opportunity again.

...I remember saying at the time I was surprised both went on loan given how brittle Baines has become. If you add Galloway into the mix, we have 3 LBs on loan in the Championship (I appreciate Connolly is getting rave reviews in CM) which really shows a very poor level of planning.

There doesn't seem to be much love for Garbutt here, but he looked OK in a run of games a while ago and he must
be an improvement on Martina, surely.

I'd like to see us get Luke Shaw in, but if not, why buy someone just to see us through to the end of the season?

It certainly was daft mate. Especially when cover was not.brought in and Garbutt not named in either squad. Robinson loan since been extended too.

The club has acted like a bunch of amateurs in this. Especially given Baines' recent injury record and our fixture list with being in EL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back