Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not who he has signed more who he is looking at - Mario, Dendoncker who Pearce went to scout tonight etc.

People laugh it off but Villa and Newcastle had more money than us when we were under Kenwright yet we consistenly punched above them as Moyes made shrewd signings whilst those clubs spent money on expensive dross - sound familiar?

But we've scouted players like Dendoncker and been linked with Mata, Witsel, Koulibaly etc.? What's the difference?

Neither us or West Ham are actually signing any of these players.

@Eggs

It is understood he will be asked to provide a global dimension to the work of Steve Walsh - Sorry what does this mean? - Work and Steve Walsh in the same sentence?

..who knows, Matey, I think it depends on what you read into it. At face value, perhaps Walsh is concentrated on domestic and European targets and the club want a co-ordinated effort to include the African and South American markets.

Saying that, some are suggesting this undermines Walsh’s position and perhaps the club are already recruiting his successor.

..who knows, Matey, I think it depends on what you read into it. At face value, perhaps Walsh is concentrated on domestic and European targets and the club want a co-ordinated effort to include the African and South American markets.

Saying that, some are suggesting this undermines Walsh’s position, and perhaps the club are already recruiting his successor.

The PSV DoF will definitely have lots of South American contacts based on their own transfer strategy.

Saying that, some are suggesting this undermines Walsh’s position and perhaps the club are already recruiting his successor.

Walsh is rightly besieged right now as the standard of our recruitment has been woeful since he's come in so I think appointing someone to help him in his role can only be a good thing. The big problem that I see right now though is that the DoF position is supposed to provide a platform of continuity at a club, the same continuity the managerial position used to provide. It is difficult to see us having managers now that outlast a 3-5 year lifetime so the idea of a DoF, as I understood it, was to keep a very stable house in order so that new managers could easily pick up the pieces of their predecessors.

However I can't see where this is going to come from right now as the club are supposed to appoint relatively like-minded managers every time so the DoF doesn't have to rip up his transfer playbook every year and start again. There is no way that the next guy we appoint, be it someone like a Fonseca or Silva will resemble Koeman or Allardyce in anyway - so what you're left with is a team and structure designed for a Koeman type and you're handing that over to a Fonseca type. It just won't work and will lead to very common periods of complete upheaval.

If the club are going to persist with the DoF strategy (and I think they should) they need to have a clear understanding of what his role actually is.

Walsh is rightly besieged right now as the standard of our recruitment has been woeful since he's come in so I think appointing someone to help him in his role can only be a good thing. The big problem that I see right now though is that the DoF position is supposed to provide a platform of continuity at a club, the same continuity the managerial position used to provide. It is difficult to see us having managers now that outlast a 3-5 year lifetime so the idea of a DoF, as I understood it, was to keep a very stable house in order so that new managers could easily pick up the pieces of their predecessors.

However I can't see where this is going to come from right now as the club are supposed to appoint relatively like-minded managers every time so the DoF doesn't have to rip up his transfer playbook every year and start again. There is no way that the next guy we appoint, be it someone like a Fonseca or Silva will resemble Koeman or Allardyce in anyway - so what you're left with is a team and structure designed for a Koeman type and you're handing that over to a Fonseca type. It just won't work and will lead to very common periods of complete upheaval.

If the club are going to persist with the DoF strategy (and I think they should) they need to have a clear understanding of what his role actually is.

Exactly.

A DoF should set the complete structure in place.

Key points:

- Transfer policy
- Policy on young players (signings for the academy, progression from the academy to the first team)/is there a young player we can use instead of a big money signing?
- Football style/'philosophy' (we'll try to sign players that play *this* way)/the academy will play *this* way
- Close working relationship with the manager and all of the coaches
- Establish networks and partnerships with clubs across the globe (see Chelsea with Vitesse)

Walsh has pretty much done none of the above so far

Exactly.

A DoF should set the complete structure in place.

Key points:

- Transfer policy
- Policy on young players (signings for the academy, progression from the academy to the first team)/is there a young player we can use instead of a big money signing?
- Football style/'philosophy' (we'll try to sign players that play *this* way)/the academy will play *this* way
- Close working relationship with the manager and all of the coaches
- Establish networks and partnerships with clubs across the globe (see Chelsea with Vitesse)

Walsh has pretty much done none of the above so far

Is this a club's decision or the manager's? These short term appointments aren't really helping us in that sense if you think about it.

If the club says "we're going 4-3-3 - every age group, sign players to suit" but the manager can't use that system then it all falls down. Ideally we need a younger manager whom we know will probably either match the club's desired system or will be here for a "long" time. At the minute the club can't have a style to match transfer targets to as we've gone from Martinez to Koeman to Allardyce.

It's the main reason we're doing so poorly at the minute IMO because the players we own don't suit any of the managers we have. Same reason people wanting Dyche here baffles me.

Didn't see the game tonight as I was watching our U23s. But you almost sound pleased with yourself.

Personally, I'm not overly surprised that Walsh, a 20 year old new signing playing in only his second full game for a championship club, failed to impress against a full strength Man City, far and away the best team in England, and arguably possibly the best club team in the world right now. If you seriously believe that him being substituted at half time tonight justifies our selling him, without giving him one opportunity in the first team, then maybe football isn't the game for you my friend.

I was only giving an opinion ( Unsworth recommondation ) and staying a fact ( taken off at HT)
I live in Ireland and have never seen Walsh play
I have no opinion as to his abilities or wether he would be a player for us in the future
How you could figure out that I was pleased he was subbed st HT by what I posted is beyond comprehension
I literally have no opinion one way or the other on Walsh as like I stated I’ve never seen him play and I don’t give opinions ( unlike others ) on something or someone I’ve no idea about.
As to why he was sold FSA wouldn’t have a clue about him so it’s not a great leap of faith to assume his manager of the last few seasons said it was a good idea to sell him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back