January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have we been linked with this lad mate?

I think you are spot on really. I don't thin we will see anything as glamorous as it was under Koeman. It will very much be back to basics, getting lads in who are functional and can work to his system quite quickly. I doubt we will be looking at the top end of the market but looking for some "value" on deals.

He does like a wildcard you are right, and we may get someone with a bit of pace in a wide area. I hope he sees Ross in that light and can try and talk him round to staying though.

Gameiro is a great shout for a striker, I can only se it happening if Sandro goes out the door though. I think he will want some additional height and power as a centre forward.

It will be interesting to see if there is the same commitment to young players being brought in with one eye on the future.
Haven't seen anyone link Benalouane to Everton, but I did read that he's looking to move on in January now that Maguire has pushed him out of their starting XI. I thought he looked good last season.

There should be a few decent players available next month. I'd happily take a chance on Wilshire, for example.

Left-back first through the door, imo. Especially if Baines returns is still playing pretty poorly. Martina won't suffice. Reckon he won't go for a CB if Holgate carries on.

Striker will be a massive lump we can play from - away from home when we play 15 yards deep and just punt it forward.

Lots and I mean LOTS of wingers to be linked with too.

Allez Allez Allez oh.

Most people seem to think we dont have any dough sadly.

But yes, we can.

I dont see any reason at all why we wont sign 1 ST, 1 Fullback and 1 CB as the bare min.

Personally im seeing quite a few Outs and a few Ins.
Even if we were skint (which we are not) the outs should be able to finance one of those players, leaving Moshiri to pay out a bit for another.

We’ll get the positions we need, whether or not they’re the players people want is a whole ‘nother matter.

Im not disputing we need a CB, but we lack a real Striker also, a Striker doesnt just score goals, as ive said countless times :

We lack a focal point, somebody to play off, the modern number 9 who leads the line, knocks it down, holds it up and brings others into play, for all their qualities Rooney, DCL, Niasse, Sandro, none of them can play as a number 9 effectively in the Premier League, Rooney used to be able to and when DCL gains experience he will be able to, Niasse and Sandro IMO are much better playing with a number 9.

Of course thats not our only problem, but somebody for Iceland to hit from out wide, an out ball from our CBs, the long hopeful punt through the middle, basic stuff that we cant do as a team, it drives the whole team unit back 20 yards and constantly puts us on the backfoot.
MoutsGoat, Nov 9, 2017
But we don't NEED him in January tho. Players become "available" in the summer. We need to shore up the defence asap. Our "attack" (imo, again) is good enough to stay up

But we don't NEED him in January tho. Players become "available" in the summer. We need to shore up the defence asap. Our "attack" (imo, again) is good enough to stay up

Well we have had 2 clean sheets in the last 2 games so that suggests our defence is good enough to stay up?

We dont need any other players to stay up, the squad we currently have is more than good enough.

15 games 18 points = 1.2 per game = 45.6 points.

If we wish to do more than just survive, IMO we need a CB and a Striker.

I get the point your trying to make, "why overpay in the Winter window when theres very few available", but I would counter that with why buy anybody?

We need a CB cos the 1s we have got are a bit poo, we need a LB cos Baines needs cover/a rest and we need a Striker cos despite all DCLs qualities, IMO hes not yet at the required level to lead the line for the rest of the season.

Koeman wanted a Striker, now Big Sam says we need a Striker.

Are people seriously advocating the likes of Deeney, Walcott and Wilshere?

X_35Ug.gif

Well we have had 2 clean sheets in the last 2 games so that suggests our defence is good enough to stay up?

We dont need any other players to stay up, the squad we currently have is more than good enough.

15 games 18 points = 1.2 per game = 45.6 points.

If we wish to do more than just survive, IMO we need a CB and a Striker.

I get the point your trying to make, "why overpay in the Winter window when theres very few available", but I would counter that with why buy anybody?

We need a CB cos the 1s we have got are a bit poo, we need a LB cos Baines needs cover/a rest and we need a Striker cos despite all DCLs qualities, IMO hes not yet at the required level to lead the line for the rest of the season.

Koeman wanted a Striker, now Big Sam says we need a Striker.
The goals allowed per match state, with much fact, that our defense isn't a capable one. Our goals scored shows that our "attack"(such as it is) is the same as last year. Quite honestly, we need a new back 4. I just don't think anything forward is of as much importance as the defensive side.

Ben Mee and Luke Shaw would be really good signings but think it’s more likely we end up with Daley Blind to cover both positions. I personally think that full back and centre half are our biggest concerns but can only see us signing either a cb or a lb for some reason.
I can see us being in for Wiltshire if Barkley is off too, again not what I would want but think it follows the trend of getting an English asset and then hope someone else comes in and pays over the odds to meet their quota.
Would be happyish with Slimani as a forward but definitely not Carroll or Deeney. Could see us going for Vardy even though he isn’t the hold up style most expect us to go for with our ex Leicester boys here.

Suggesting Deeney should be met with an instant threadban. Have people learned nothing from the last two seasons, buying 30 year old lower half premier league players is not the way to go, they have little room for improvement and when you realise they might just stand out in crap teams you'll never see half the money you spent on them.

I like Yannick Bolasie and Sigurdsson (I despise Williams) but paying the kind of dough we did for them was way over the top.

And contrary to some bonkers opinions being belted out above, this season is still somewhat salvageable and relegation as a possibility needs dismissing immediately. We should be aiming for 7th again now, so we NEED a LB, CB AND a CF. I would argue a left winger as well although that could probably wait until summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back