Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't judge him on this season tho because he hasn't wanted to be there. He has everything to be one of the best in the world, and he improves them regardless of price. I hate to say this bur they did good business this year and it pisses me off that we cant seem to do the bloody same.

There’s a crazy breed of Evertonian’s who want Sam Allardyce on the back of his 25 year career consisting of no trophies, one 6 place finish and years of dreadful football to spend the family silver we’ve waited decades for.

They don’t deserve nice things.

It's insane. How on earth someone can watch us play, watch our 11 or 10 play on our own 18 to cover so our LB only has to guard against going outside, and conclude it's the lack of defensive cover that is forcing the best XI LB Cuco Martina from not advancing is amazing.

Because allardyce is a wizard mate, did you not hear?

We need to get rid of Galloway + Pennington + Browning +Williams + Mori + Jags

Leaves us with Holgate + Keane. I wouldn't go with 3 at the back, only two but we still need 2 more with pace/positioning to compete.

I'm not a big fan of Maguire but Mawson looks solid and can play Left or Right sided centre back so ideal.

Why?

Could get rid of more than 19 players and most of them we wouldn't even realise had gone...

Stekelenburg
Robles contract expiry
Garbutt
Galloway
Pennington
Martina
Baines
Jagielka
Williams
Mori
Browning
Schneiderlin
Bolasie
McCarthy
Klaassen
Mirallas
Lennon
Barkley
Besic
Sandro

and more...

We would need
1 Back up keeper
2 Centre backs
2 Left Backs
1 Centre midfielder
2 Forwards

Never going to be that much change though surely...so hopefully a lot are shipped out in Jan and we make at least 2 very good signings.

I don't mind it but we need to stick to a back 4 with the players we have.

No idea why we signed Williams...Sigurdsson looks good actually but I'm not sure hes what we needed...Bolasie is far worse though.

Mawson to me looks like being ideal to add to Keane and Holgate and rotate them all around.

Have we not figured out yet that wholesale changes do not work!

Let's get rid of these ten, twelve, is absolute mental. It's a squad game, we need to move on five players, some who haven't been near the team, and bring in three, obviously a left back, centre forward and a left sided central defender.

In the summer look a doing the same numbers wise, but bring in quality not quantity, but players who are ready now, we have great quality for the future already.

Last edited:
I’m not convinced, against Chelsea he was sloppy at times and some awful pundit gave him motm, the one time we pressed slightly out of our box he gave alway a sloppy pass and we got caught out, then later in game he got rolled so easily by a Chelsea player with a shoulder drop and put his back to play taking about 5 seconds to turn round.

As you say, a deep defensive line can make the most average of defenders look very very good, and I think he will be found out if we try pushing up in the future.

Sam hasn’t made this players worldies, he’s just dropped our line back ten yards.

Correct. I think Kenny and Holgate have the skill set to play a high line. I think Keane does too but we need to see it in action.

None of the others we have can do this so theres a lot of work on signings and sales needed.

There’s a crazy breed of Evertonian’s who want Sam Allardyce on the back of his 25 year career consisting of no trophies, one 6 place finish and years of dreadful football to spend the family silver we’ve waited decades for.

Which manager do you want mate?

Do you rate Simeone?

Have we not figured out yet that wholesale changes do not work!

Let's get rid of these ten, twelve, is absolute mental. It's a squad game, we need to move on five players, some who haven't been near the team, and bring in three, obviously a left back, centre forward and a left sided central defender.

In the summer look a doing the same numbers wise, but bring in quality not quantity, but players who are ready now, we have great quality for the future already.

Which of these would you keep;
Garbutt
Pennington
Galloway
Browning

Do you think Jagielka and Baines have a season left in them? Jagielka is 35 and Baines has been slated this season and before

How about Williams? Don't you think he is error prone? Isnt Mori also error prone?

I think people are currently happy with allardyce because six weeks ago we were an awful side who were concedin goals for fun and that didn't look like changing.. We are now 9th with 5 clean sheets in 7. Relegation fears are more or less gone now.
We needed stability. We got that.
But we also need to add players to improve quality

I don’t care what they recoup to be honest, if we still had him now he’d be worth 120/130 in my opinion.
I dunno, man. What other strikers have gone for 100M? There are only so many teams that can afford that kind of cash. That being said, MAYBE Chelsea at this point, but I honestly think we got a decent number for him. Now why we didn't replace him is quite another story...

Which manager do you want mate?

Do you rate Simeone?
No point getting involved in discussions with you lad. You’re expectations of the club are clearly far lower than mine.

I’ll leave you to it.
It's a fair question though mate. What we want as fans, and what we get are two completely different things, nothing to do with lack of ambition on the fans part, we get what we're given.

I think people are currently happy with allardyce because six weeks ago we were an awful side who were concedin goals for fun and that didn't look like changing.. We are now 9th with 5 clean sheets in 7. Relegation fears are more or less gone now.
We needed stability. We got that.
But we also need to add players to improve quality

Sam’s here now, and even though I wouldn’t have panicked when we did and appointed him I can understand why some did. But he’s here, he’s doing exactly what I expected of him and he’s fine for the remainder of this season but he’s going to have to show something he’s never shown before over these last few weeks to stay beyond this summer IMO.

I think he’s got enough at his disposal to finish 7th now, I’d be reluctant to give him considerable sums to spend and I’d see how he gets on over the next few months.

As boring as it makes this window, as grim as the football will be, I’d keep the big money for the next manager to spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back