Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m confident we’ll get a left back, but it really is time to push some players out the door.

Expect Lennon, Besic, Sandro, Stek and maybe Klassen and Niasse to leave before we get a full back in.

Definitely a mass clear out coming before the end of January I reckon.

We already had way too many and have added two more in Tosun and Walcott.

Niasse, Lennon, McCarthy or Schneiderlin, Besic, Sandro and probably a couple more.

..spot on. I always say judge a manager on who they’ve bought but I suppose that now extends to the DoF. The Everton ‘model’ could probably be a mix of the examples you highlight. Imagine getting a young Tim Cahill from Millwall now, or a crocked Andy Gray. It’s a real skill getting the right players in but it helps knowing the team shape you want to play. You also need a blend of players who compliment each other and have the right attitude.

Players like Rafinha - terrible injury so stock fallen - but if he recovers would be the quality we wouldn't be able to attract say without that injury concern, Gaitan - sat behind quality players and can't get a look in this season - harbours world cup hopes so desperate to move to play games for that reason, but 2 years ago looked one of the best wingers in the game, not too old still at 29/30 as he never relied purely on pace etc, any of the plethora of Brazilians that get funnelled in through Shakhtar (like Willian was before), young talented players who moved too soon to a 'big club' like shaw at united who saw a managerial change put them on the fringes, and youngish players who have shone in a lower league like scotland (Tierney, VVD and Wanyama before him) who the big clubs probably have too many doubts about to guarantee them the games they'd want so will be looking for that next step up in their careers.

Doesn't matter what their personal motives are for me, be it wanting to play at a higher level, wanting to take that next step with an aim at moving upwards in a few years time or trying to prove themselves to get back into international sides etc, as long as they come in with some hunger to do well, right now the problem we have is that players move here and settle into a comfort zone with little desire to push themselves on from that point.

Much as i hate to use them as an example, the rs attract players recently at least who bust a gut - be that to stay in the side due to competition, or to get into the international side, or to raise their profile to get that 'dream' move to Barca etc.

Difference between a hungry side and one without is massive

Definitely a mass clear out coming before the end of January I reckon.

We already had way too many and have added two more in Tosun and Walcott.

Niasse, Lennon, McCarthy or Schneiderlin, Besic, Sandro and probably a couple more.

No chance of all them going. 4 of them are first team regulars. We will only bring in 3 players at the most, and one of them will be a last day signing.

Players like Rafinha - terrible injury so stock fallen - but if he recovers would be the quality we wouldn't be able to attract say without that injury concern, Gaitan - sat behind quality players and can't get a look in this season - harbours world cup hopes so desperate to move to play games for that reason, but 2 years ago looked one of the best wingers in the game, not too old still at 29/30 as he never relied purely on pace etc, any of the plethora of Brazilians that get funnelled in through Shakhtar (like Willian was before), young talented players who moved too soon to a 'big club' like shaw at united who saw a managerial change put them on the fringes, and youngish players who have shone in a lower league like scotland (Tierney, VVD and Wanyama before him) who the big clubs probably have too many doubts about to guarantee them the games they'd want so will be looking for that next step up in their careers.

Doesn't matter what their personal motives are for me, be it wanting to play at a higher level, wanting to take that next step with an aim at moving upwards in a few years time or trying to prove themselves to get back into international sides etc, as long as they come in with some hunger to do well, right now the problem we have is that players move here and settle into a comfort zone with little desire to push themselves on from that point.

Much as i hate to use them as an example, the rs attract players recently at least who bust a gut - be that to stay in the side due to competition, or to get into the international side, or to raise their profile to get that 'dream' move to Barca etc.

Difference between a hungry side and one without is massive

..was thinking about this before. That fearless attitude the likes of Suarez and Sanchez have where they play like the game matters is a fundamental requirement. I call them street footballers. Lads who have probably grown up in poorer areas where they developed their footy skills subconsciously by playing all the time. I wonder if Rooney is the last of the GB street footballers, academy’s have taken over, kids sit in front of screens so you rarely see them out playing anymore.

It’s probably not a surprise that those you highlight come from the South American or African markets where that hunger and desire to succeed is supported by raw talent.

..was thinking about this before. That fearless attitude the likes of Suarez and Sanchez have where they play like the game matters is a fundamental requirement. I call them street footballers. Lads who have probably grown up in poorer areas where they developed their footy skills subconsciously by playing all the time. I wonder if Rooney is the last of the GB street footballers, academy’s have taken over, kids sit in front of screens so you rarely see them out playing anymore.

It’s probably not a surprise that those you highlight come from the South American or African markets where that hunger and desire to succeed is supported by raw talent.

Was talking to a guy about this in work just now.
I remember watching the world cup when it was played in Japan and South Korea and the South Koreans had this in abundance. They were so well drilled and played with unbelievable pride, energy and passion in their home world cup, albeit marshalled by Gus Hiddenk (I think). Okasaki and Son play the same way as do some of the South Americans mentioned above. Its infectious to watch and must be brilliant to play along side those guys. To be fair we had a pretty good team spirit under Moyes.

A pretty fair assessment of it all from you mate, can't remember who it was - but saw an interview with a journalist (think it may have been Winter) when he was saying something similar about the academy system 'softening' up and removing desire from young players, and he had a very good point.

It's a reason i'd love us to start looking at those markets (especially the SA one) as they do seem to create players who still have that attitude in them.

I'd also say i think very few English players really care much about being an international beyond what it means to their commercial earning power through being in it, the reason for that is myriad though, but it's a symptom of a greater problem in the game over here really. where as you go to Germany, Spain or SA for example and playing for the national side really matters to them, and think that attitude carries over into their club football by and large as well

Was talking to a guy about this in work just now.
I remember watching the world cup when it was played in Japan and South Korea and the South Koreans had this in abundance. They were so well drilled and played with unbelievable pride, energy and passion in their home world cup, albeit marshalled by Gus Hiddenk (I think). Okasaki and Son play the same way as do some of the South Americans mentioned above. Its infectious to watch and must be brilliant to play along side those guys. To be fair we had a pretty good team spirit under Moyes.

A key part of United success was Park as well, by no means the best player by a mile - but a very important one for those united sides as he gave them someone who'd run through walls for that side

A pretty fair assessment of it all from you mate, can't remember who it was - but saw an interview with a journalist (think it may have been Winter) when he was saying something similar about the academy system 'softening' up and removing desire from young players, and he had a very good point.

It's a reason i'd love us to start looking at those markets (especially the SA one) as they do seem to create players who still have that attitude in them.

I'd also say i think very few English players really care much about being an international beyond what it means to their commercial earning power through being in it, the reason for that is myriad though, but it's a symptom of a greater problem in the game over here really. where as you go to Germany, Spain or SA for example and playing for the national side really matters to them, and think that attitude carries over into their club football by and large as well

...very good point about the national teams. It’s probably something to do with the culture in the likes of Germany that maintains that desire to work hard and succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back