Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything you are saying in my opinion is great, the one thing I don't see is Zouma being permanent. He has said and I believe Chelsea has said he is going back there. Don't quote me on that though

I agree he has. I also think he will want to stay if the option is available to him. For me he'd be daft to go back to Chelsea. I can see us using him sparingly until we agree a deal though.

The echo have been running similar profile pieces on other players we’ve been linked with recently. It’s nithing new and I certainly wouldn’t read anything into it. The writers get paid to write so that’s what they’ll do. It only takes one small snippet from one journo anywhere in the world and they all jump on it invade they’re seen to be missing stuff.

If anything was seen by last summers business it’s that brands gets things sorted and doesn’t tend to highlight what he’s working on. People can look into every little thing he says all they want and I’m guilty of chatting about what I think will or could happen but in reality none of us know and most of the journos don’t either.

Some people on here should be fictional authors with some of the stuff they come up with.

The echo have been running similar profile pieces on other players we’ve been linked with recently. It’s nithing new and I certainly wouldn’t read anything into it. The writers get paid to write so that’s what they’ll do. It only takes one small snippet from one journo anywhere in the world and they all jump on it invade they’re seen to be missing stuff.

If anything was seen by last summers business it’s that brands gets things sorted and doesn’t tend to highlight what he’s working on. People can look into every little thing he says all they want and I’m guilty of chatting about what I think will or could happen but in reality none of us know and most of the journos don’t either.

Some people on here should be fictional authors with some of the stuff they come up with.

To be fair mate I remember the Echo running quite a lot of features on Mina for several weeks before we signed him.

I agree he has. I also think he will want to stay if the option is available to him. For me he'd be daft to go back to Chelsea. I can see us using him sparingly until we agree a deal though.

I like Zouma, but I'd need to see more of him before I decide we should buy him on a perm. He has all the characteristics we need in a centre back, but I wouldn't put it past brands to find a similar sort of centre back in Europe for a third of the price.

I just hope we don't agree that because we need to buy one centre back, we'll take the easy option and give jagielka another year so he can be 4th/5th choice. Especially when we have a fair few youngsters behind him.

I like Zouma, but I'd need to see more of him before I decide we should buy him on a perm. He has all the characteristics we need in a centre back, but I wouldn't put it past brands to find a similar sort of centre back in Europe for a third of the price.

I just hope we don't agree that because we need to buy one centre back, we'll take the easy option and give jagielka another year so he can be 4th/5th choice. Especially when we have a fair few youngsters behind him.

Thats a fair point. In general I like players who have come here and shown their worth. I think he has done that. A lot will depend on Chelsea being realistic with the price, but I'd be delighted if we could get a deal over the line.

Thats a fair point. In general I like players who have come here and shown their worth. I think he has done that. A lot will depend on Chelsea being realistic with the price, but I'd be delighted if we could get a deal over the line.

I just think with his position at Chelsea we shouldn't go over £20m. Just my opinion as I don't like to see us getting shafted on players who are so out of the picture at their current clubs. People on here are saying to throw £40m for gomes, but imo, barca don't deserve that. They didn't deserve what they got for mina either, and thankfully brands didn't go as high as they wanted him too.

Based on that I have confidence in him to do the right things.

I will throw this out there re Ndombele and Lozano. Both players were linked heavily in the summer. It may be that some sort of agreement was reached in the summer that they were not for sale then but may be in January. It may well have gone further than that, to being that they would not sell in the summer but might in January. For Lyon to get through to the knock out phases of the CL would make a huge difference (as it would for PSV).

I suppose the critical point though is it's likely Brands would have kept some sort of dialogue going with both clubs. It may well be that both clubs feel it's a good time to move the players on in January and we are at the front of the cue. Brands' personal conduct will help us enormously in these situations.

It's quite hard to sign players in January but that is if you are working from scratch. We haven't really done it for a long time (if ever, christ knows why) but you are able to negotiate for players before January. There's every chance this is what is going on currently.

The players themselves must look at the turnaround at the club and think they want to be part of that. I'm sure word gets fed back to the French camp from Zouma and Digne which would impress Ndombele. The next move is an important one and he needs to be playing regularly. He doesn't look at the level to do that at some of the teams monitoring him.

So yes, my gut feeling is that we would have made an effort to get him in the summer and been warned off. Brands seems professional enough to heed the warning but also maintain a relationship moving forward.

It's for this reason I wouldn't even rule out Keiran Tierney re-emerging as a target at some point. We will see.

Do we have enough money to sign Ndombele & Lozano in January, plus look to secure deals for Gomes & Zouma. I'd probably say no but then it didn't look as if we have 100 million to secure the deals we did this summer. We have 15 points from our last 7 and if that is repeated again we have 37 points from 20 games and are well in the mix for the top 4. There's every chance that Moshiri feels we need to keep investing while things are moving in the right direction.
100% this.

I will throw this out there re Ndombele and Lozano. Both players were linked heavily in the summer. It may be that some sort of agreement was reached in the summer that they were not for sale then but may be in January. It may well have gone further than that, to being that they would not sell in the summer but might in January. For Lyon to get through to the knock out phases of the CL would make a huge difference (as it would for PSV).

I suppose the critical point though is it's likely Brands would have kept some sort of dialogue going with both clubs. It may well be that both clubs feel it's a good time to move the players on in January and we are at the front of the cue. Brands' personal conduct will help us enormously in these situations.

It's quite hard to sign players in January but that is if you are working from scratch. We haven't really done it for a long time (if ever, christ knows why) but you are able to negotiate for players before January. There's every chance this is what is going on currently.

The players themselves must look at the turnaround at the club and think they want to be part of that. I'm sure word gets fed back to the French camp from Zouma and Digne which would impress Ndombele. The next move is an important one and he needs to be playing regularly. He doesn't look at the level to do that at some of the teams monitoring him.

So yes, my gut feeling is that we would have made an effort to get him in the summer and been warned off. Brands seems professional enough to heed the warning but also maintain a relationship moving forward.

It's for this reason I wouldn't even rule out Keiran Tierney re-emerging as a target at some point. We will see.

Do we have enough money to sign Ndombele & Lozano in January, plus look to secure deals for Gomes & Zouma. I'd probably say no but then it didn't look as if we have 100 million to secure the deals we did this summer. We have 15 points from our last 7 and if that is repeated again we have 37 points from 20 games and are well in the mix for the top 4. There's every chance that Moshiri feels we need to keep investing while things are moving in the right direction.

Interesting hypothesis time will tell of course, not many weeks now.to window opening.

I just think with his position at Chelsea we shouldn't go over £20m. Just my opinion as I don't like to see us getting shafted on players who are so out of the picture at their current clubs. People on here are saying to throw £40m for gomes, but imo, barca don't deserve that. They didn't deserve what they got for mina either, and thankfully brands didn't go as high as they wanted him too.

Based on that I have confidence in him to do the right things.

I think Brands will have a valuation in mind and while there will be some flexibility he will not go beyond that. I also think he will ascertain quite early into the negotiation whether a deal can be done. If Chelsea are stupid it will be pulled quite quickly.

I don't think 20 million is a massively unfair ballpark figure to work from either.

They run features on most players we’re linked with. That’s what they get paid to do

Of course. There is another side though, which is they may be getting fed some information from the club, for whatever reason. There is little in it for them to keep a news story going over a number of days, and present it as quite hard, as it has been, if it's pure speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back