Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that we are so close to having a top 4 first 11 that it would be obtuse to sell a young star player with the goal of adding several more -- because we are so close.

Lets say we signed Gomes, what more do we need;

CB + RB + DM + CM + RF + CF = 6 players.

If we binned off the deadwood and loan players:
Vlasic
Onyekuru
Bolasie
Schneiderlin
McCarthy
Tosun
Niasse
Baines (end of contract)
Jagielka (end of contract)
Besic

That must surely be around £100mil. There may also be one or two of the u21 lads who will be moved on (Dowell/Holgate)?

Also add in Walcott and we're looking at potentially over £120mil in incoming fees and a huge wages budget.

Surely Brands can bring in a few decent players with that cash without having to sell our star forward player?

With Atletico they had young lads like Saul and Koke who went into the 11 from their youth team...if we had that then wed only be 4 players off with a decent amount to spend...

Take isue with Besic being described as deadwood. He's tearing it up at Boro and is young enough to progress further. People go on about Harry Wilson, but Besic has arguably been the better player at the same level.

I think that we are so close to having a top 4 first 11 that it would be obtuse to sell a young star player with the goal of adding several more -- because we are so close.

Vlasic
Onyekuru
Bolasie
Schneiderlin
McCarthy
Tosun
Niasse
Baines (end of contract)
Besic

That must surely be around £100mil. There may also be one or two of the u21 lads who will be moved on (Dowell/Holgate)?

Also add in Walcott and we're looking at potentially over £120mil in incoming fees and a huge wages budget.

Surely Brands can bring in a few decent players with that cash without having to sell our star forward player?

With Atletico they had young lads like Saul and Koke who went into the 11 from their youth team...if we had that then wed only be 4 players off with a decent amount to spend...

If we are so close, why do we need to sign 6 players? Surely that means we are 6 players off, which is not even halfway there.

Baffling comment.

James Rodriguez is probably leaving Bayern in January due to lack of playing time. Makes a lot of sense to look at bringing him in. His careers has faltered a little the last couple of years but we have a world-class manager and not far off a team challenging for the league title, so we're as an attractive a proposition as anything out there right now for him. I'd love to see us going in big and offering to match (or better!) his Bayern salary. At the very least get him in on loan and then sell the club to him in-person as he tears up the league.

James Rodriguez is probably leaving Bayern in January due to lack of playing time. Makes a lot of sense to look at bringing him in. His careers has faltered a little the last couple of years but we have a world-class manager and not far off a team challenging for the league title, so we're as an attractive a proposition as anything out there right now for him. I'd love to see us going in big and offering to match (or better!) his Bayern salary. At the very least get him in on loan and then sell the club to him in-person as he tears up the league.

Not a chance mate. Bed.

Shame you couldn’t mate. What a player in his prime, right up their with the best strikers who’ve ever played the game before he was ravaged by injury.
Yup. Watching him run with the ball, stepping over, so fast and powerful he would literally scare defenders to death. That Brazil side was unreal. Everyone could attack. But Ronaldo was just a complete bull, super direct, but with first touch and finishing to boot. He put all prior power/pace comparisons before him to shame.

Vlasic
Onyekuru
Bolasie
Schneiderlin
McCarthy
Tosun
Niasse
Baines (end of contract)
Besic

Needing 6 new players is not close. This is like FIFA stuff right now, Zat.

Beyond that, not sure why you are writing off Onyekuru or Vlasic. Not sure why DCL then makes the team.

RB - are we selling Coleman? That's fine, but add him to the list., and a first team RB won't be cheap. 25M if he's comparable to Digne.
CB - We'll have Mina, Keane, Holgate, but if you want to improve on Mina/Keane, that's like 40M right there.
DM - We'll have Gana, Beni, Davies can play there...if you want an improvement on Gana...that's like 50M maybe.
CM - We'll have Gomes and Davies, if you want an improvement on Gomes or at least a first team up to the Gana / Gomes level, again, 50M.
RF - We'll have Lookman, but Richarlison/Bernard can play, but regardless, if you want a Chucky Lozano type, that's another 40M.
CF - We'll have Tosun/DCL, assuming you want Richy on the left, I'm assuming you'll want go big here, another 50M.

That's the city model, 50M players all over. Is that 255M?

Let's hope we've got a few academy players that can step up and contribute.

Beyond that, some of these guys will go and that's fine.

This is kind of a silly exercise.

Needing 6 new players is not close. This is like FIFA stuff right now, Zat.

Beyond that, not sure why you are writing off Onyekuru or Vlasic. Not sure why DCL then makes the team.

RB - are we selling Coleman? That's fine, but add him to the list., and a first team RB won't be cheap. 25M if he's comparable to Digne.
CB - We'll have Mina, Keane, Holgate, but if you want to improve on Mina/Keane, that's like 40M right there.
DM - We'll have Gana, Beni, Davies can play there...if you want an improvement on Gana...that's like 50M maybe.
CM - We'll have Gomes and Davies, if you want an improvement on Gomes or at least a first team up to the Gana / Gomes level, again, 50M.
RF - We'll have Lookman, but Richarlison/Bernard can play, but regardless, if you want a Chucky Lozano type, that's another 40M.
CF - We'll have Tosun/DCL, assuming you want Richy on the left, I'm assuming you'll want go big here, another 50M.

That's the city model, 50M players all over. Is that 255M?

Let's hope we've got a few academy players that can step up and contribute.

Beyond that, some of these guys will go and that's fine.

This is kind of a silly exercise.

Beer money to Uncle Usmanov

But I agree. More like one or two to fine tune in next few transfer windows

Take isue with Besic being described as deadwood. He's tearing it up at Boro and is young enough to progress further. People go on about Harry Wilson, but Besic has arguably been the better player at the same level.

That’s not quite right according the my boro supporting mate.

He’s doing as he did last season when he went there. Started well and has started drifting off again.

I think we will add one marquee signing in January plus sort out Gomes full time for next season.

Be nice to think so but we’re cryng out for a boss slotter and can’t see one being available in January
Tying up Gomes in January would do for me as I fear other teams sniffing if it’s allowed to go to the end of the season although in Marco we trust

Be nice to think so but we’re cryng out for a boss slotter and can’t see one being available in January
Tying up Gomes in January would do for me as I fear other teams sniffing if it’s allowed to go to the end of the season although in Marco we trust

I am not too fearful. He appears happy here after a nightmare spell at Barca.

An upgrade to the right side attack or Ndombele will be very welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back