Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I mean not many I’d pick over say Digne, Gomes or Rich (on the left) in our league or others but that’s maybe pushing it a little.
Agreed. Those are really good players, though. Couple are going to get better, too. Mix in a few more of those with a truly world class player or two and we are in the CL. Takes a bit of time, however, but none of those guys were with us last year. It's exciting.

Hi Zat, I know you've made some excellent points on my take on Richarlinson and I haven't had the chance to come back and answer it.

Much of what you said above I agree with. The big divergence we would have is my desire to have marquee names. I don't see us trying to utilise this model. I see us having a more European model, whereby there is an acceptance that once players get to a certain tipping point we can move them on.

It's funny as the sort of conversations we have now about Richarlinson we probably had about Lukaku 2-3 years ago. The money was spent very poorly but thats different from saying the approach was wrong. This summer we spent a similar amount very well. Would I rather have the 6 players of this summer (albeit with 2 on loan) or Lukaku? To me the choice is easy. As frankly I would say about Stones, or Barkley (had we have sold him for the 35 million we ought to have received).

There is no way I'd pay 35 for Ross, 50 for Stones or 90 For Lukaku, however good they were. This is in no small part down to the fact that we intrinsically know we are operating in a different market to them. That's always a good indication that it is a worthwhile consideration to move people on.

I do not believe that we will need to sell every player. There will be some though that may want to move on and may be able to generate a level of funds that allow us a greater aspect of flexibility in the market place. For me the most important challenge for the club now, is to ensure that Brands has the financial freedom to execute his plans, or as much financial freedom as possible. Players sale's will be a useful tool for this.

I agree again with moving players on. I start from the position that every player has a price. I think we could see Walcott moved on by the end of the season, particularly if Lookman keeps improving. However if a club comes in in January (say West Ham) with what we offered the club should consider it. I am not sure it's an either/or though and my sense is Richarlinson will be very marketable.

I would be wary of moving Coleman along, because I think his experience of the place is invaluable as is his leadership. The ref did a great job on Sunday, but a lot of that was because Coleman kept him honest.
I would say to a far greater end that ourselves and many clubs in this country. Athletico Madrid have produced a side that have won the Europa League, could have won 2 champions league and would have likely won 1 if not 3-4 PL titles in the last 7-8 years. This has been done on the back of selling players at an opportune moment.

Our key difference is I don't believe us to be top of the food tree. I think we are the next rung down.

I think that we are so close to having a top 4 first 11 that it would be obtuse to sell a young star player with the goal of adding several more -- because we are so close.

Lets say we signed Gomes, what more do we need;

CB + RB + DM + CM + RF + CF = 6 players.

If we binned off the deadwood and loan players:
Vlasic
Onyekuru
Bolasie
Schneiderlin
McCarthy
Tosun
Niasse
Baines (end of contract)
Jagielka (end of contract)
Besic

That must surely be around £100mil. There may also be one or two of the u21 lads who will be moved on (Dowell/Holgate)?

Also add in Walcott and we're looking at potentially over £120mil in incoming fees and a huge wages budget.

Surely Brands can bring in a few decent players with that cash without having to sell our star forward player?

With Atletico they had young lads like Saul and Koke who went into the 11 from their youth team...if we had that then wed only be 4 players off with a decent amount to spend...

If Marco/Marcel do buy in a Striker in January, who makes room for them? Do we go with a Back 3 and remove a DM (Gueye) or does Walcott get the shove and Gylfi and Bernard setup behind the striker?

I imagine it will just be a case of

---------------------------Striker---------------------
Richy/Berny------Siggy/Berny-----Walcott/Lookman/Richy

Meaning, Walcott/Bernard most likely to miss out. I'd say Sigurdsson and Richarlison are first names on the team sheet in that area. That said going forward we need competition in those places. Although United aren't currently a prime example, Lingard and Martial often miss out despite being two of their best players.

ronaldhino is the best Brazilian from my generation I reckon.

original Ronaldo was when I was teenager, cant remember him all that well

Brazilian Ronaldo has everything , Ronaldinho was pure skill and very entertaining and up there with the very best, but Ronaldo was the greatest ever imo

...linked to 19 year old Red Bull Salzburg attacking midfielder, Hannes Wolf.
Is this coming from somewhere reliable? I watched them against Leipzig in the Europa League the other day and he stood out an absolute mile on a pitch with players like Werner/Augustin/Bruma etc. Could turn out to be a very shrewd signing if there's anything in it.

Is this coming from somewhere reliable? I watched them against Leipzig in the Europa League the other day and he stood out an absolute mile on a pitch with players like Werner/Augustin/Bruma etc. Could turn out to be a very shrewd signing if there's anything in it.

..I wouldn’t expect it’s a reliable source, Zook, we were one of a few clubs linked with the player in the foreign press.

..I wouldn’t expect it’s a reliable source, Zook, we were one of a few clubs linked with the player in the foreign press.
Apparently Brands was at the Leipzig Celtic game the other week so maybe he had an eye on the game against Salzburg

I think that we are so close to having a top 4 first 11 that it would be obtuse to sell a young star player with the goal of adding several more -- because we are so close.

Lets say we signed Gomes, what more do we need;

CB + RB + DM + CM + RF + CF = 6 players.

If we binned off the deadwood and loan players:
Vlasic
Onyekuru
Bolasie
Schneiderlin
McCarthy
Tosun
Niasse
Baines (end of contract)
Jagielka (end of contract)
Besic

That must surely be around £100mil. There may also be one or two of the u21 lads who will be moved on (Dowell/Holgate)?

Also add in Walcott and we're looking at potentially over £120mil in incoming fees and a huge wages budget.

Surely Brands can bring in a few decent players with that cash without having to sell our star forward player?

With Atletico they had young lads like Saul and Koke who went into the 11 from their youth team...if we had that then wed only be 4 players off with a decent amount to spend...

All very well saying offload these players but to whom. A club has to come in for them one cannot just chuck them out of the door. If near end of contract okay don't renew. Methinks you need to be more realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back