Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
We aren't going to sign Gomes in January. He will be with us on loan until next summer, and during that time, any risk of injury will belong to Barcelona. We aren't going to take on the risk of injury any earlier than we have to.

We aren't going to sign Gomes in January. He will be with us on loan until next summer, and during that time, any risk of injury will belong to Barcelona. We aren't going to take on the risk of injury any earlier than we have to.

Apart from both Silva and Brands heavily hinting (well, Silva has explicitly said 'if we could buy him now, we would') that we want to sign Gomes in January...

Jan - Gomes on a permanent and Gabriel Barbosa on loan with agreed fee if he’s successful.

Besic, Schneiderlin and niasse sold in January.

Summer - goodbye to players like jags out of contract, sell bolasie, tosun, Sandro, mirallas, Dowell - buy Lozano, barbosa/striker, a centre back and another centre mid.

Jan - Gomes on a permanent and Gabriel Barbosa on loan with agreed fee if he’s successful.

Besic, Schneiderlin and niasse sold in January.

Summer - goodbye to players like jags out of contract, sell bolasie, tosun, Sandro, mirallas, Dowell - buy Lozano, barbosa/striker, a centre back and another centre mid.

I will be fuming if we sign another jarg hit and miss striker like Barbosa.

The centre forward position is the most important and we cant afford to keep taking punts hoping one comes good we need proven quality.

Surely we shouldn’t be looking to sell our first team regulars? Sell Schneiderlin and Besic, buy someone better than Gana. Sell Niasse and DCL, buy someone better than Tosun. Sell Kenny and Holgate, buy someone better than Coleman.
What we don’t need to do is buy squad players or sell first team regulars

Yeah, we have about 15 players or deadwood... But people want us to sell someone in the first XI, bizarre.

I will be fuming if we sign another jarg hit and miss striker like Barbosa.

The centre forward position is the most important and we cant afford to keep taking punts hoping one comes good we need proven quality.

Who would you suggest?

I'm not convinced on Gabigol and not even sure there's anything in the links, but it's actually about a very particular style - and quality - of player that is needed for that role.

No point in the striker being slow and only able to slot from inside the box, we have that already.

We need a player who can do what Richarlison does, which is create space for others by dragging defences all over the place. That's how Silva's system works.

Added to that, we need that player to be able to slot and get in the positions that Richarlison doesn't always manage.

I'm not convinced it will happen. But I have no doubt we'll try.

Brands and Silva have more than earned my trust in the transfer department.

I agree. But does anyone know the last time a year long loan deal was cut short because a club wanted to buy the player before the loan deal has ended? I've never heard of that before.

He is here until the summer, and during that period, the risk of serious injury will lay with Barcelona.

I agree. But does anyone know the last time a year long loan deal was cut short because a club wanted to buy the player before the loan deal has ended? I've never heard of that before.

He is here until the summer, and during that period, the risk of serious injury will lay with Barcelona.

Literally two weeks ago. Dortmund signed Paco Alcacer from Barca.

But yeh, it is rare.

Who would you suggest?

I'm not convinced on Gabigol and not even sure there's anything in the links, but it's actually about a very particular style - and quality - of player that is needed for that role.

No point in the striker being slow and only able to slot from inside the box, we have that already.

We need a player who can do what Richarlison does, which is create space for others by dragging defences all over the place. That's how Silva's system works.

Added to that, we need that player to be able to slot and get in the positions that Richarlison doesn't always manage.

Dont know but Brands surely must have a list of decent targets?

Off the top of my head

Werner
Dzeko
Rashford
Willian Jose
Belotti
Batshuyai
Bacca

Yeah, we have about 15 players or deadwood... But people want us to sell someone in the first XI, bizarre.
That’s probably because apart from the first 13/14 they haven’t got a clue who we own ?
We have a fair amount of crap to move out before we consider upgrading our starters
I could name 10/11 players who I think will get little or no game time here and should be shifted out as soon as possible
By shifting those out you free up wages and gives you better opportunities to sign a better class of player
However people seem to forget that to sell these players we need to find someone who will
Match their book value
Pay them their wages
Walsh / Koeman and to a lesser extent Martinez and Allardyce have a lot to answer for
Mirallas
Besic
Bolassie
McCarthy
Schnederlin
Steks
Dowell
Davies
Naisse
Tosun
JJK
Jags
Hewelt
Browning
Pennington
Connolly
Robinson
Beni
All the above plus probably a couple more I’ve forgot about need to be shifted out in the next 3 to 4 windows
Getting rid of those is a far bigger job than signing the 4/5 players we need for the first 11 to make us compete with the top 6
Granted we need a striker , a RW a RB and an upgrade on Gana ( the last 2 are not a pressing matter )
For those that want to shift out Walcott , Coleman , Gana have a look at the list of players I posted and tell me who of those you’d rather see in the first team instead of Walcott , Coleman and Gana
Hell I’d even sell Lookman if the 30 m offer came in or if Brands thought he could be used as part of the Werner deal
Barbosa on loan is not a bad idea
He fits the profile that Brands uses , a young player that made the wrong move too soon
We bought Tosun outright and that flopped
Getting Barbosa on loan with the option to buy at an agreed price is a good idea if we can shift Tosun /Naisse or both

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back