Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gregg O’keefe from the podcast with Tony Scott, said he’d heard we aren’t looking to do much in January, but also said Brands could be keeping his cards close to his chest.

So he's lying when he says one in one out?

Pretty sure he stated that the main intention after he arrived was trimming the wage bill and to reduce the squad size from a ridiculous 32-34+ at one point to a much more reasonable and workable sized one.

Now the sceptical could have spun those statements as we had no more money for wages, and we had to sell to pay for incoming transfers etc.

What actually happened though was we let more go than we brought in so reducing the squad size down to 27 or so, we cut out ahuge amount of "wasted wages" on players who did and would not play for the team, ensuring that whilst the overall wages the clubs paying out its pocket are similar, the benefit your getting is your now paying players mainly who actually play football for you. As for transfers, yup what we sold was reinvested so partly sell to buy, but a hell of a lot was spent on top of that.

If we had a DoF who chose to ignore the size of a squad and players in that squad who have clearly now no future, who instead solely focused on adding more and more players to the team, and who disregarded the negative - both financially and on a dressing room of having a huge first team squad, then Dave I think we'd tuslky would have a major problem.

Thankfully we don't, maybe save your super cynical view until next summer, as right atm you have absolutely zero to show that Brands is not doing quite a remarkable job which bodes well for going forward.

You'll no doubt go on about loaning rather than selling asa stick to beat him with, open your eyes mate, hell even look across the park at the likes of Markovic still being on their books cos they can't sell the lad.

We recruited some terrible players, done for very high fees and compounded that by paying ridiculous wages to them to boot,

The likes of Sandro we'd struggle to have any taker on a free transfer now.
Bolasie similar no one was gonna cover that wage AND pay us half of what we outlaid on him.
And so on and so forth

What generally he has done though us organized moves for all those to a team that they may perform well enough to cone next summer be able to get another team to bite on buying them.

That for me us jim doing his job very well given the absolute clusterflick he inherited here.

Raul Jimenez said he’s going to decide his next move in the summer.

Looks a good goal threat to me from what I’ve seen this season. Rumoured £30m release clause and is about right at 27 too.

Whatever way it's contextualised the point remains that we have a DoF telling us that, if we have a position that needs strengthening, we can do that only by ridding ourselves of a player. At the very least that places a time problem to get deals done - I wonder now whether the lack of striker this summer was down to not getting shut of Niasse in particular. We certainly cant operate like that and expect to land targets promptly. The more alarming part of yesterday's statement is the likelihood that the taps are now turned off. That now the major outgoing sales that have funded the player buying spree of recent seasons have dried up and are no more, then we have a situation where the manager's told: "there's your assets out there in blue jerseys. You choose who to sell and then you tell me who you want to replace them". That can seriously hamper any restructuring of the squad that's required.

For me, we need in January/summer a good GK to vie for the no.1 shirt, a RB of quality to come in and be a starter, a LB deputy for Digne, if Gomes is going back we need to spend big for a creative midfielder, a right winger and an attacker. What Brands has said wont address that type of restructuring that we require; it'll make it almost impossible.
lol:bye:

Whatever way it's contextualised the point remains that we have a DoF telling us that, if we have a position that needs strengthening, we can do that only by ridding ourselves of a player. At the very least that places a time problem to get deals done - I wonder now whether the lack of striker this summer was down to not getting shut of Niasse in particular. We certainly cant operate like that and expect to land targets promptly. The more alarming part of yesterday's statement is the likelihood that the taps are now turned off. That now the major outgoing sales that have funded the player buying spree of recent seasons have dried up and are no more, then we have a situation where the manager's told: "there's your assets out there in blue jerseys. You choose who to sell and then you tell me who you want to replace them". That can seriously hamper any restructuring of the squad that's required.

For me, we need in January/summer a good GK to vie for the no.1 shirt, a RB of quality to come in and be a starter, a LB deputy for Digne, if Gomes is going back we need to spend big for a creative midfielder, a right winger and an attacker. What Brands has said wont address that type of restructuring that we require; it'll make it almost impossible.

...I wouldn’t take Brand’s statement too literally, Dave. I’m sure if a target was available the ‘taps would be open’, I also expect there have already been enquiries for a number of our players, so they will have an indication of outgoings.

I suggest Brand’s remarks were lots to do with managing expectation and highlighting the need to effectively control the size of the squad.

Andrei kramaric should be the winger we go after he is absoloute class n played out his skin against city got a goal and his record speaks for itself this season especially in champs league get europa league this season try get him in summer

Andrei the winger? Sign him now

One in-one out.

Gets a fee and frees wages, and that's recycled.

As said - sell to buy.

Let's see if he can actually sell one this time. No more loan deals Mr Jug Head.

We have a massive squad, paying wages , big wages to players that are never going to play for us again. You prefer we just keep signing players and waste money?

I hope we punt A LOT of players...

McCarthy
Tosun
Niasse
Schneiderlin
+ one surprise sale (none signed by Silva/Brands)
+ some youngsters sold / loaned

Then we bring in 2 top players as starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back