Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
The players out on loan depreciate in value, offsetting any wage reduction that might have accrued (and in sme cases the club would have been paying some of the wages in any case).

Not a problem with reducing the squad. However, it cant be allowed that he does that and holding back as players become available that Silva wants. If it;s in the order he stated yesterday of one IN one OUT, then that's reasonable. However, and IMO, we clearly saw the club stall on an attacker late in the summer window hoping to get a big Lookman deal over the line and/or a club for Niasse.

You've made your mind up on Brands after one transfer window. That's ok. That's your prerogative. I'd like to see how he performs over a series of windows, as I have some reservations about his summer performance.

..Onyekuru and Vlasic are out on loan, I imagine their value has increased. The value of Bolasie, Sandro, Besic, Mirallas et al will have dropped but that would’ve been the case had they stayed. I imagine Brands wanted permanent deals for those as much as you do but all the smooth talking in the world wouldn’t convince clubs to sign those players on £80k per week.

The players out on loan depreciate in value, offsetting any wage reduction that might have accrued (and in sme cases the club would have been paying some of the wages in any case).
Whoa. If players are depreciating in value while on loan, we are doing this incorrectly. Vlasic, Henry, those guys aren't depreciating on loan.

If you are using Mirallas or Bolasie as examples, they are bad ones, but for FFP sake, it's good that they are on loan. But those guys were the hand he was dealt. Frankly, both have probably increased in value since the summer, which shows you how low their values were. That's not on Brands. It was also a calculated decision to see if they wouldn't play better at lower levels. We shall see if that strategy pays off, but we'll have to wait for the summer to find out.

C82BC52E-9D0F-4B0A-9484-4B1EAFBFCD45.webp

So any thoughts on a possible balotelli move in January?

Nice President confirmed they will not renew his contract and balotelli previously stated his desire to return to the prem.

Not pretending to know Marco’s preferred striker type but he is fast, physical, good in the air, proven scorer in the prem, creative on the ball, and can distribute equally as well.
I'm thinking it's never happening.

I would be happy with shifting Niasse, Morgan, and possibly loaning out Holgate. And bringing in a striker and in an ideal world a physical box to box midfielder. Leave right back, back up keeper and another wide forward until the summer.

So any thoughts on a possible balotelli move in January?

Nice President confirmed they will not renew his contract and balotelli previously stated his desire to return to the prem.

Not pretending to know Marco’s preferred striker type but he is fast, physical, good in the air, proven scorer in the prem, creative on the ball, and can distribute equally as well.

My thoughts on this are I can’t wait for Balotelli to retire so people stop suggesting him.

Whoa. If players are depreciating in value while on loan, we are doing this incorrectly. Vlasic, Henry, those guys aren't depreciating on loan.

If you are using Mirallas or Bolasie as examples, they are bad ones, but for FFP sake, it's good that they are on loan. But those guys were the hand he was dealt. Frankly, both have probably increased in value since the summer, which shows you how low their values were. That's not on Brands. It was also a calculated decision to see if they wouldn't play better at lower levels. We shall see if that strategy pays off, but we'll have to wait for the summer to find out.
That's speculation. We have those two on long contracts so it can still result in a profit, in theory.

That's speculation. We have those two on long contracts so it can still result in a profit, in theory.
It is and that's fair, it works both way.

But it's certainly plausible that he couldn't get anything for them in the summer. If so, maybe sending them on loan was indeed the right thing to do. Obivously, no one is perfect and misjudgments are going to be made, but it wasn't his fault they were there to begin with.

Get rid of Holgate, Schneiderlin, McCarthy, Jagielka, Stekelenberg, Niasse and Tosun and nobody would even notice. Saves us over 350k a week in wages and would bring in at a guess about 30m if we're lucky.

Shift Pennington, Galloway, Garbutt, Besic, Bolasie, Mirallas, Bolasie, Sandro end of the season and we've finally moved all of our trash.

The funny thing is, not one of those players would need replacing, arguably only Stekelenberg and get a much better understudy in to push Pickford.

I agree, seems to do well in Germany too. Both goals and assists.
Really thought Haller was a bit too clumsy to do well in the PL, but he's been very good in Germany. Still not convinced he'd be good enough, but he would give us something we don't have up front. I actually thought someone like Nicolai Jorgensen would be a nice option in a similar style. Can hold the ball up, can pass it forward to Richy and Walcott or back to Siggy/Gomes. Not sure either are good enough, but as some of us said at the time, having a bigger striker that can provide an option to hold the ball up would be valuable.

Not a problem with reducing the squad. However, it cant be allowed that he does that and holding back as players become available that Silva wants. If it;s in the order he stated yesterday of one IN one OUT, then that's reasonable. However, and IMO, we clearly saw the club stall on an attacker late in the summer window hoping to get a big Lookman deal over the line and/or a club for Niasse.

You've made your mind up on Brands after one transfer window. That's ok. That's your prerogative. I'd like to see how he performs over a series of windows, as I have some reservations about his summer performance.

I'm just judging him on available evidence mate, has he done very very well in his initial period here, yup, is he for me anyway doing what a DoF should be doing as part of his job and acting as the person who sets out the direction of the club, yup, including being fir want if a better word "the face" of the club, again yes, his interviews come across as very focused, with a clear direction, and fir this club especially a breadth of fresh air, as they come across as very professional. He's in that wayvery much in the mould of Monchi.

Letting the manager get in with managing and training and fielding the bigger questions himself.

His recruitment has been to drawer so far. His offloading of players has been acceptable, given the mess he inherited, I'd argue moreso, also the priority initially "had" to be on incomings ahead of outgoings, least until the team had some semblance of being an actual decent team which I'd say it now has.

If he continues for the next 2-3 recruitment windows along a similar path, we will be in a very good position, time will tell ultimately, but he has had a track record at his prior two clubs in this role of not being a one season wonder and able to see out a long term strategy for turning a club in a mess around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back