Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you'd rather us continue the season with Gana as our only permanent midfielder and Gomes on loan? A single injury or two and we'd be playing without a midfield.

Davies is decent, played too much too soon with too much pressure to uphold. He will grow from all the experience and hopefully become better learning from an actual footballer like Gomes.

Davies offers absolutely nothing.

The players out on loan depreciate in value, offsetting any wage reduction that might have accrued (and in sme cases the club would have been paying some of the wages in any case).

Not a problem with reducing the squad. However, it cant be allowed that he does that and holding back as players become available that Silva wants. If it;s in the order he stated yesterday of one IN one OUT, then that's reasonable. However, and IMO, we clearly saw the club stall on an attacker late in the summer window hoping to get a big Lookman deal over the line and/or a club for Niasse.

You've made your mind up on Brands after one transfer window. That's ok. That's your prerogative. I'd like to see how he performs over a series of windows, as I have some reservations about his summer performance.

I enjoy a lot of what you put mate, and it's always well written, but I think you're a bit harsh on Brands. I think deep down you don't agree with the role, which is fair enough but you are using the dislike of the role to judge how the man is performing the role. It's one thing saying you don't believe in DOF, but as DOF go the fella has made the best of a very difficult situation.

The players out on loan depreciate in value, offsetting any wage reduction that might have accrued (and in sme cases the club would have been paying some of the wages in any case).

Not a problem with reducing the squad. However, it cant be allowed that he does that and holding back as players become available that Silva wants. If it;s in the order he stated yesterday of one IN one OUT, then that's reasonable. However, and IMO, we clearly saw the club stall on an attacker late in the summer window hoping to get a big Lookman deal over the line and/or a club for Niasse.

You've made your mind up on Brands after one transfer window. That's ok. That's your prerogative. I'd like to see how he performs over a series of windows, as I have some reservations about his summer performance.

As others have said, vlasic and onyekurus values have increased.

I also think bolasies value has gone up as we couldnt sell in the summer and now hes actually doing something at villa.

Zat who will be replacing modric for Croatia... Whoever that lad is we need to sign him up

Supposedly Ante Coric is highly rated, think he went to Roma

Were linked to this eastern european

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ajdin-hasic/profil/spieler/522851

I'm just judging him on available evidence mate, has he done very very well in his initial period here, yup, is he for me anyway doing what a DoF should be doing as part of his job and acting as the person who sets out the direction of the club, yup, including being fir want if a better word "the face" of the club, again yes, his interviews come across as very focused, with a clear direction, and fir this club especially a breadth of fresh air, as they come across as very professional. He's in that wayvery much in the mould of Monchi.

Letting the manager get in with managing and training and fielding the bigger questions himself.

His recruitment has been to drawer so far. His offloading of players has been acceptable, given the mess he inherited, I'd argue moreso, also the priority initially "had" to be on incomings ahead of outgoings, least until the team had some semblance of being an actual decent team which I'd say it now has.

If he continues for the next 2-3 recruitment windows along a similar path, we will be in a very good position, time will tell ultimately, but he has had a track record at his prior two clubs in this role of not being a one season wonder and able to see out a long term strategy for turning a club in a mess around.
Well, I think his performance is mixed. Leaving Richarlison aside, as he was undoubtedly already on Silva's radar, Digne and Gomes are two gems. He has that in his plus column. The others I'm far from convinced about. As said, his strategy on loans out I find hard to accept. I think your point on him letting the manager manage is fair. That was a concern of mine when he came in: that he'd be back seat driving. He's kept out of it. Also, his presence has stopped that halfwit Moshiri from opening his grid and embarrassing us.

I have nothing against him. I just wont praise him beyond what I believe he's actually done.

Well, I think his performance is mixed. Leaving Richarlison aside, as he was undoubtedly already on Silva's radar, Digne and Gomes are two gems. He has that in his plus column. The others I;m far from convinced about. As said, his strategy on oans out I find hard to accept. I think your point on him letting the manager maange is fair. That was a concern of mine when he came in: that he'd be back seat driving. He's kept out of it. Also, his presence has stopped that halfwit Moshiri from opening his grid and embarrassing us.

I have nothing against him. I just wont praise him beyond what I believe he's actually done.

Keep doubting him Dave, he wants you to doubt, he craves it.

I have to admit I'm not convinced by Mina or Bernard. Zouma I'd rate more useful at this stage.

A mixed bag on incomings overall.

Mina looks a bit dodge, hes got that in his locker, but he will do ok for us, the vermin managed without a top class CB for years.

Bernard has la magica, I think once he adjusts he will be sound.

Hes signed 6 first team players that will do us good, mixed bag my ring.

I’m expecting one player at most. I disagree with the notion that you shouldn’t spend in January and wait till the summer.

Midway is a vital point in the season and the manager has had time to assess problem areas on the pitch.

Plus it tends to be a YUGE moral boost when a GUD player does come in mid season. Hopefully it’s a freakin goalscorer; I don’t care where he plays along the front 3. Just score goals

Mina looks a bit dodge, hes got that in his locker, but he will do ok for us, the vermin managed without a top class CB for years.

Bernard has la magica, I think once he adjusts he will be sound.

Hes signed 6 first team players that will do us good, mixed bag my ring.
My guess: Zouma is a better bet than Mina - who will struggle here; Bernard will become more productive with a striker who has good movement; Digne and Richarlison will be poached off us, either this summer or soon after; Gomes will return to Barcelona or be loaned out by them elsewhere.

It's only natural that there's doubts. Why should anyone accept at this stage that he's proving the DoF role a success?
Dude, you are literally one of the only people still on the planet that think the DoF role is a bad idea. Brands isn't going to prove or disprove the role, that's been done about 100 times over.

I share your concerns about Mina. He's very boom or bust. He is going to make mistakes - already has really if you consider his role in Newcastle's goal - but his foot skills and relative agility give me hope. He's pretty raw.

Zouma is just very limited by his passing, which isn't great. But it's a good loan to reduce risk.

I think you and I were critical of Brands not bringing in a striker with a different profile. People trashed us for Rondon as a cheap alternative, but this team is crying out for someone that can hold the ball up and finish a bit.

My guess: Zouma is a better bet than Mina - who will struggle here; Bernard will become more productive with a striker who has good movement; Digne and Richarlison will be poached off us, either this summer or soon after; Gomes will return to Barcelona or be loaned out by them elsewhere.
Have a glass of sherry mate.
It's the season for it.
Been so negative does you no good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back