Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, you are literally one of the only people still on the planet that think the DoF role is a bad idea. Brands isn't going to prove or disprove the role, that's been done about 100 times over.

I share your concerns about Mina. He's very boom or bust. He is going to make mistakes - already has really if you consider his role in Newcastle's goal - but his foot skills and relative agility give me hope. He's pretty raw.

Zouma is just very limited by his passing, which isn't great. But it's a good loan to reduce risk.

I think you and I were critical of Brands not bringing in a striker with a different profile. People trashed us for Rondon as a cheap alternative, but this team is crying out for someone that can hold the ball up and finish a bit.
Respectfully I just don’t see much wrong at all with Zouma.

My guess: Zouma is a better bet than Mina - who will struggle here; Bernard will become more productive with a striker who has good movement; Digne and Richarlison will be poached off us, either this summer or soon after; Gomes will return to Barcelona or be loaned out by them elsewhere.
I think you are very wide of the mark my old chum , every one of the new recruits are buying in to the program.They will all be here for the next few seasons.
If this is after one very short window I cant wait for the next 2 or 3 . Quality players are being brought in and if you cant see that more fool you.

My guess: Zouma is a better bet than Mina - who will struggle here; Bernard will become more productive with a striker who has good movement; Digne and Richarlison will be poached off us, either this summer or soon after; Gomes will return to Barcelona or be loaned out by them elsewhere.

Cheery soul ain't ya. As for Brands he's done very well so far.

Dude, you are literally one of the only people still on the planet that think the DoF role is a bad idea. Brands isn't going to prove or disprove the role, that's been done about 100 times over.

I share your concerns about Mina. He's very boom or bust. He is going to make mistakes - already has really if you consider his role in Newcastle's goal - but his foot skills and relative agility give me hope. He's pretty raw.

Zouma is just very limited by his passing, which isn't great. But it's a good loan to reduce risk.

I think you and I were critical of Brands not bringing in a striker with a different profile. People trashed us for Rondon as a cheap alternative, but this team is crying out for someone that can hold the ball up and finish a bit.
I don’t think Rondon is the type of striker they want, ithink they want someone with pace and great movement, someone who can pull the centre backs out of position and leave space for Richarlison from the left. And hopefully someone similar from the right.

I don’t think Rondon is the type of striker they want, ithink they want someone with pace and great movement, someone who can pull the centre backs out of position and leave space for Richarlison from the left. And hopefully someone similar from the right.

Exactly + interchange with Richarlison and whoever we get on the right.

Thats why the Augustin links are exciting.

Rondon ffs lol

My guess is we want the type of striker who scores goals which kind of disqualifies Rondon

I have to admit I'm not convinced by Mina or Bernard. Zouma I'd rate more useful at this stage.

A mixed bag on incomings overall.

Can check my posts from years ago to see us was not a fan of Bernard or him making it in this league mate, but the lad his last two seasons at Donetsk really nature's physically and workrate etc to change my opinion on him hugely before we ever signed him.

Ultimately he's not gonna wrack up loads of goals, neither did Pienaar though remember, but what the lad does do us interlink play brilliantly and much like with Pienaar the players around him improve when he's in the team.

Think about Digne, looked decent early season, then exceptional since then - guarantee if you stuck a Walcott or Lookman ahead of him he'd not look as good.

Bernards weakness, is he's a forward player who doesn't score many, which if the rest of the forwards are scoring at a better rate, is fine having one who plays that "greater role" in making the system feel better, when you have three out of four not scoring though, on top of zero goal threat from centre mid, then it starts to look an issue.
Get in a good striker, another goalscoring attacking mid/winger, and Bernards lack of a goal threat doesn't matter as his general play more than makes up for it.

As for Mina, I like him, like the guys attitude, like that he's a big physical unit, without being slow or having g any obvious weakness,, but he's also decent on the ball which we have lacked in the side, is he the finished article - nope, still makes some mistakes but let's remember, the lad is still young and at the top level pretty inexperienced.

Also think he needs to ultimately play on that right side - not the left, keep Keane as the backup, get in a starting left cb who compliments Mina - think Zouma was brought in initially exactly for that, but Minas injury and Keane finding a form no one expected has complicated the choice.

Finger in the air ... there will be one or two incomings just to lift the squad and fan base. Who they’ll be, I have no idea but they will need to be able to push fir a starting place and not just be U23 fodder.

Outgoings to balance the above up.
Doubt we’ll get wads of dosh for players like Mirallas or Bolasie as clubs know they are for sale

I think you are very wide of the mark my old chum , every one of the new recruits are buying in to the program.They will all be here for the next few seasons.
If this is after one very short window I cant wait for the next 2 or 3 . Quality players are being brought in and if you cant see that more fool you.
Digne and Richarlison wont be satisfied with what we can offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back