Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't see the need for Augustin as he's similar to what we have but if we get him fine we can make it work. I really think we need someone left footed which Lozano isn't.

I don't want to completely burst your bubble here but Mexico scored 3 goals in 4 games. They really aren't a great example to aspire to. We should be looking at the actual top teams, City, Spurs, Chelsea, Bayern, etc, and figuring out what those teams do. One thing is they rarely play a classic #10 and use a single defensive midfielder.

I dont think Augustin is similar to our other forwards?

If you remember the games, their forwards couldnt hit a bard door and Layun especially seemed to miss 3 clear chances a game...

With superior finishers they would have scored many more.

The best setup for us is a deep playmaker and 2 box to box players in front of him.

However, if we go down that route there will need to be sales. If Richarlison plays left + we signed a right sided player then where does it leave walcott, lookman, bernard and onyekuru ?

Some sales would be needed.

Hernandez couldn't cut it in the PL...:coffee:

He did as a supersub...but that proves my point, the system with better players would be very dynamic.

I dont think Augustin is similar to our other forwards?

If you remember the games, their forwards couldnt hit a bard door and Layun especially seemed to miss 3 clear chances a game...

With superior finishers they would have scored many more.

The best setup for us is a deep playmaker and 2 box to box players in front of him.

However, if we go down that route there will need to be sales. If Richarlison plays left + we signed a right sided player then where does it leave walcott, lookman, bernard and onyekuru ?

Some sales would be needed.

He did as a supersub...but that proves my point, the system with better players would be very dynamic.
Richarlison is a center forward to me until we have the personnel to let him play on the wing. That includes a center forward and a reliable right wing. Walcott is toward the end of his career so maybe 2 years for him. Onyekuru Lookman and Bernard will be competing for spots and someone inevitably will leave as you say.

Augustin is similar to Richarlison to me in that he's a mobile striker who can play wider if needed. I haven't seen more than a couple games of him from watching Lookman last season tbf.

Check out his whoscored rating...i didnt watch but seemed a very high level performance based on his rating?

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/331924/Show/Aaron-Wan-Bissaka

Coleman was given;

City 5.54
Watford 6.25
Newcastle 6.8

In comparison.

Thats fair. Him and Augustin are both 5'8 which ia slightly taller than lookman + similar to Lozano.

I look back at Mexico in the world cup and how their front players counter attacked at rapid speeds and can see Lookman,Lozano, Richarlison and Augustin able to do that.

Rapid, direct counter attacks and all 4 have shown in different teams that they can score goals and interchange positions.

If we needed to use a target man in certain games then looking at DCL yesterday, he made several flicks that our players werent either sharp enough or willing to take chances on...i counted 3 times he swept it across to the right only for Walcott to ball watch.

With these high intensity explosive players i think we would look very dangerous.

As I said, played okay, Palace won as Leicester were plop

Coleman also played plop, have also watched that Doherty lad from he seems to be playing well for Wolves.

There are plenty of options out there

Wow...what is our business...as EFC fans?

Buy tickets, buy stuff from the shop, but most importantly support the team.

When you go shopping at Tesco, do you ask to see the inner workings of the business or do you just get your shopping and bail.

Modern football fans have an amazing sense of entitlement, its not OUR club, its a business owned by shareholders. That we happen to like quite a lot.

Like McDonalds.

Inappropriate Language
Buy tickets, buy stuff from the shop, but most importantly support the team.

When you go shopping at Tesco, do you ask to see the inner workings of the business or do you just get your shopping and bail.

Modern football fans have an amazing sense of entitlement, its not OUR club, its a business owned by shareholders. That we happen to like quite a lot.

Like McDonalds.

Me personally I question everything as well you know...

I think EFC could be doing a lot better than where it is now...drawing at home to newcastle and watford ??? F***ck off

Boils down to ownership....

Don't see the need for Augustin as he's similar to what we have but if we get him fine we can make it work. I really think we need someone left footed which Lozano isn't.

Who cares if its a right footer or left footer as long as they can hug the byline the way players like Sane do. Right now all the left sided players love cutting inside, no idea why we need another person who cuts in. Not saying that is a bad thing, just don't see why it matters. Silva ultimately wants to play with three forwards, if they can score then who cares what they tend to do.

I'm not convinced in the slightest on Augustin either.

Who cares if its a right footer or left footer as long as they can hug the byline the way players like Sane do. Right now all the left sided players love cutting inside, no idea why we need another person who cuts in. Not saying that is a bad thing, just don't see why it matters. Silva ultimately wants to play with three forwards, if they can score then who cares what they tend to do.

I'm not convinced in the slightest on Augustin either.
I think it adds some variety to the team that we currently don't even have as an option off the bench. It just allows us to do things a bit differently from time to time or to change a game if needed. Lozano has a style similar to Walcott when he was good on the right so we don't get much variety out of that. I wouldn't say no to it but again just like the idea of a lefty.

I think it adds some variety to the team that we currently don't even have as an option off the bench. It just allows us to do things a bit differently from time to time or to change a game if needed. Lozano has a style similar to Walcott when he was good on the right so we don't get much variety out of that. I wouldn't say no to it but again just like the idea of a lefty.

Walcott would be absolutely ace in this team right now if he knew how to convert his opportunities. A "Walcott" who can finish would be the perfect addition.

Richarlison is a center forward to me until we have the personnel to let him play on the wing. That includes a center forward and a reliable right wing. Walcott is toward the end of his career so maybe 2 years for him. Onyekuru Lookman and Bernard will be competing for spots and someone inevitably will leave as you say.

Augustin is similar to Richarlison to me in that he's a mobile striker who can play wider if needed. I haven't seen more than a couple games of him from watching Lookman last season tbf.

Augustin is just a central striker who reminds me of Anelka, martial and Henry in their general skillsets...all of which are best at CF. The typical rapid forward mould who can slot with good awareness.

Hes a proper CF who can create goals, run channels and of course score whereas Richarlison is more of a player who wants to charge direct at goal everytime...like kanchelskis used to do when wide.

Can be lethal and scares defences but perhaps needs to adapt more to CF and as a link to others....just my take on it.

When Lookman was behind him I wont go overboard but they looked like they could play well together. A couple of assists each from good interplay with one another and same age of course.

So, I think if we did sign Augustin then its worth us keeping Lookman to play both that role and rotate with richarlison who in turn could take Augustins place when necessary.

Even if we went for 2 box to box players it would be handy to change formation and move the Deep midfielder forward, take off a centre mid (or the deep player) and play with a 10...when were going for a goal.

My view on the first 11 has changed a few times this season, at the beginning (and since a couple of years) ive wanted Neves as our DM as a deep playmaker with 2 box to box players ahead....even someone like Torreira i highlighted in summer as someone who would suit that position so its not a player type set in stone...

Now ive come back to that way of thinking...but with Lookman we can have someone who can be used when we want to change from a deep player to an attacking player in the centre so from a DM to an ACM.

Whats interesting is also that in our first 11 id say only 4 players (Gomes if he signed would be 5) would be starters for a evolving team....

So im especially interested to see if we go for a RB / CM / RF / CF in this window as then we will know more clearly how Silva wants us to play and what players will be needed in the next window to complete most of the first 11 rebuild.

What I would love is if we sold one or two of Coleman, Walcott, Gana and Sigurdsson as that would show progressive change in how we do business and that we have clear targets...not only selling deadwood.

As I said, played okay, Palace won as Leicester were plop

Coleman also played plop, have also watched that Doherty lad from he seems to be playing well for Wolves.

There are plenty of options out there

I read that Palace only had 1 shot on target and scored from it lol

They rarely score many goals so their defence must be well drilled.

In theory this is the cheapest position in our team to be upgraded and so it may be something we look at in January if other teams are keen on our players then it could help us negotiate.

Walcott would be absolutely ace in this team right now if he knew how to convert his opportunities. A "Walcott" who can finish would be the perfect addition.

Which players would you both like to see signed at CF and RF ?

Which players would you both like to see signed at CF and RF ?
Jovic and Milik are the two guys I like at CF. Whether either is realistic I don't know but I think I've made it clear that I really think Richarlison is a striker long term. RF I feel like a lot of the guys are kind of far fetched with where the club is now but I look at players like Pulisic, Lozano, and Suso and think that's the class we need to be looking at. Realistically though Nicolas Pepe could maybe happen and he looks a real player. Not really sure about anyone else that we could actually get.

Augustin is just a central striker who reminds me of Anelka, martial and Henry in their general skillsets...all of which are best at CF. The typical rapid forward mould who can slot with good awareness.

Hes a proper CF who can create goals, run channels and of course score whereas Richarlison is more of a player who wants to charge direct at goal everytime...like kanchelskis used to do when wide.

Can be lethal and scares defences but perhaps needs to adapt more to CF and as a link to others....just my take on it.

When Lookman was behind him I wont go overboard but they looked like they could play well together. A couple of assists each from good interplay with one another and same age of course.

So, I think if we did sign Augustin then its worth us keeping Lookman to play both that role and rotate with richarlison who in turn could take Augustins place when necessary.

Even if we went for 2 box to box players it would be handy to change formation and move the Deep midfielder forward, take off a centre mid (or the deep player) and play with a 10...when were going for a goal.

My view on the first 11 has changed a few times this season, at the beginning (and since a couple of years) ive wanted Neves as our DM as a deep playmaker with 2 box to box players ahead....even someone like Torreira i highlighted in summer as someone who would suit that position so its not a player type set in stone...

Now ive come back to that way of thinking...but with Lookman we can have someone who can be used when we want to change from a deep player to an attacking player in the centre so from a DM to an ACM.

Whats interesting is also that in our first 11 id say only 4 players (Gomes if he signed would be 5) would be starters for a evolving team....

So im especially interested to see if we go for a RB / CM / RF / CF in this window as then we will know more clearly how Silva wants us to play and what players will be needed in the next window to complete most of the first 11 rebuild.

What I would love is if we sold one or two of Coleman, Walcott, Gana and Sigurdsson as that would show progressive change in how we do business and that we have clear targets...not only selling deadwood.

I read that Palace only had 1 shot on target and scored from it lol

They rarely score many goals so their defence must be well drilled.

In theory this is the cheapest position in our team to be upgraded and so it may be something we look at in January if other teams are keen on our players then it could help us negotiate.
That's a lot to respond to... Torreira was clearly a good player but we can't sign people over Arsenal. I don't like the way Neves carries himself. His play reminds me of Schneiderlin in that he lacks any sort of tenacity or desire. He just has a better range of passing and shot. If we're throwing out names the DM I like best is Sander Berge but I'm weary of the Belgian league since all those young Belgians like Dendoncker and Teleman are turning out crap. Maybe Ndidi could be an option but I can't say he's ever stood out that much at Leicester.

The thing with selling those types of players is we will need depth if we do make Europe. Look at the squads that the other Premier League Europa League teams play and tell me if we could rotate that much and top the group. We clearly can't so until we can we should be building our quality top to bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back