Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evertonians you kill me! Always swinging from hysteria ( we should be challenging for a top 4 spot; we’ll smash MAnC, Spuds, Chelsea etc. Etc.) to despair (Gana not good enough, ditto Mina, Walcott, Bernard, etc.etc. sell them all; Silva no good; moshiri is a fraud blah, blah,blah)

We surely have the most bi-polar fan base on the planet?

Surrounded by players in the bottom half, what does that tell you. Well I will help you it means we don’t have as much possession as the top teams. And if we want to reach to top that has to improve. Gana is not the only problem when it comes to giving the ball away, Walcott & Coleman also need replacing.

Like I said a month ago, Silva to me seems like a manger that wants to dominate possession, not always that easy away from home against the very best, but people were praising the Chelsea performance. We basically had 30% possession and one shot on target. That has to improve if we want to challenge the top 4. And that will only happen with better technical players.

No, it doesn't just suggest that.

We've won possession back higher upfield than any team in the league. Our pressing stats are up with the best. That's hugely down to the energy up top but also down to Gana's ability to harry and hassle. It pushes us forward because he's the last line of defence and he has the athleticism to get up and down.

In an ideal world, do we need a player who is better on the ball? Yes. I'm not disagreeing. But they'll also have to be able to bring the same - if not more - energy to our play that Gana does. I'm not saying it's impossible to get that player but, like @CRIMHEAD says, it's about priorities. We need a striker far more, and then probably next on the list would be a full-back going off most on here (and there'd be a lot of sense in getting a FB at the end of the season regardless of Coleman's form).

Silva doesn't want to dominate possession in every game. He knows that we won't do it.

When we're playing out from the back, it's because it's a tactic to dry and draw the opposition out and create space. I think we've shown against the best sides that we're not quite there yet but at times it has worked.

I think, off the top of my head, most games we've had we may have just edged the possession stats. It isn't Martinez-levels of possession, nowhere near. Against poorer sides at home, you'll have more of the ball.

You mention the Chelsea game. We had our chances. We had three golden chances. Just because only one of them went on target doesn't take away from that. A great chance doesn't have to hit the target to be a great chance. And you've picked the worst possible game to suggest Gana wouldn't be needed because he probably had one of his best games in an Everton shirt in that game.

This was my original post ... looking at Everton's 30 man squad, it seems the only guys not in that submitted list for this season are Vlasic (on loan) and Browning (U23) ... the rest of them are in that 30 man squad:

GK -- Pickford / ??? / Virginia
RB -- ??? / Kenny
RCB -- Mina / Keane
LCB -- ??? / ???
LB -- Digne / ???
CM -- ??? / Davies
CM -- ??? / Vlasic
AM -- ??? / Lookman
RF -- ??? / ???
CF -- ??? / ??? / DCL
LF -- Richarlison / Bernard / Onyekuru

1 GK
1 RB
2 CB
2 CM
1 AM
2 RF
2 CF

11 players needed for the squad.

GK -- Pickford / ??? / Virginia
RB -- ??? / Kenny
RCB -- Mina / Keane
LCB -- ??? / ???
LB -- Digne / ???
CM -- ??? / Davies
CM -- ??? / Vlasic
AM -- ??? / Lookman
RF -- ??? / ???
CF -- ??? / ??? / DCL
LF -- Richarlison / Bernard / Onyekuru

1 GK
1 RB
2 CB
2 CM
1 AM
2 RF
2 CF

11 players needed for the squad.
Vlasic & Lookman wont be here next season. Neither will Onyekuru.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back