Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
...lots of Chris Smalling links this morning.

As sure as day follows night we'd be linked with smalling, Mata, Brahime (sp), and a fair few others we've seemingly been linked with for years - William Jose and Rojo will get linked again no doubt - Aunautovic just has been again etc.

I'd go as far as to say any link with a player we've been linked with across multiple managers and now two dof's is utter rubbish as will be any one which says that we and west ham, Newcastle all having an interest in the same player etc, it's lazy journos churning them out to hit their number of copy requirements per week.

Gana = Yes
McCarthy = Always injured, has to be sold
Schneiderlin = Got to be sold
Baningime = Yes but due a loan
Davies = Centre midfield
Gomes = Centre midfield
Agree with all of this other than I’d keep Beni.

But we aren’t going to go and get flipping Fred for 40M, Zat. That being said, if Gana goes down, not sure Beni can replicate what he does.

Fred's a system player mate, in the right one he will look top class, in the wrong one he'll look anything but that.

He'd actually suit the system we use actually. Quality wise he's good enough btw although he'll bust out at united if Jose stays

The other thing is, Brands recruitment so far has looked at lads who have made the big move at a young age, flopped and are looking to get themselves back on track. 4 of our 6 signings fall into that category. Highly rated players who have failed to deliver, crucially though not that young/inexperienced so they can't learn/adapt quickly. Same thing is true for Bernard, though he didn't flop on a transfer per se, his career has flatlined post 2014 compared to where he could be.

While a lot of this is pragmatism (we could never have attracted any of the players when they first became available) I do think there's a strategic angle. You're finding good players, who need their confidence rebuilding in a more supportive (arguably less pressured) environment and who will be hungry to turn their careers around.

Fred fits a lot of this. I'm not saying I would sign him but he does fit the profile. Our best player, arguably our best PL striker has flopped at United. It's not the only indication for me.

Re Fred I think a lot depends on McCarthy, Davies and Baningime. If those lads aren't deemed good enough, and cleared out alongside Schneiderlin it will make sense to invest again.

The other thing is, Brands recruitment so far has looked at lads who have made the big move at a young age, flopped and are looking to get themselves back on track. 4 of our 6 signings fall into that category. Highly rated players who have failed to deliver, crucially though not that young/inexperienced so they can't learn/adapt quickly. Same thing is true for Bernard, though he didn't flop on a transfer per se, his career has flatlined post 2014 compared to where he could be.

While a lot of this is pragmatism (we could never have attracted any of the players when they first became available) I do think there's a strategic angle. You're finding good players, who need their confidence rebuilding in a more supportive (arguably less pressured) environment and who will be hungry to turn their careers around.

Fred fits a lot of this. I'm not saying I would sign him but he does fit the profile. Our best player, arguably our best PL striker has flopped at United. It's not the only indication for me.

Re Fred I think a lot depends on McCarthy, Davies and Baningime. If those lads aren't deemed good enough, and cleared out alongside Schneiderlin it will make sense to invest again.
Think that’s a bit harsh, catcher. Which of the 6 are the flops?

Digne. Flop? He was behind a really good player, started all season and impressed at Roma. Probably couldn’t have gotten him, though, so partially agree.

Mina. Could we not have gotten him out of Brazil? Maybe not over Barca. Flop? Eh, pretty early to call him that.

Gomes. Flopped at Barca, although he was just a bad fit, but could we had gotten him from Valencia? Not sure.

But Zouma, Richy, Bernard, flops?

Maybe these players had impediments to their career development, maybe I’m taking umbrage with the he term flop, but still think it’s a bit harsh.

Digne. Flop? He was behind a really good player, started all season and impressed at Roma. Probably couldn’t have gotten him, though, so partially agree.

Mina. Could we not have gotten him out of Brazil? Maybe not over Barca. Flop? Eh, pretty early to call him that.

Gomes. Flopped at Barca, although he was just a bad fit, but could we had gotten him from Valencia? Not sure.

Maybe these players had impediments to their career development, maybe I’m taking umbrage with the he term flop, but still think it’s a bit harsh.

All three Barca lads where flops for them mate, none made a starting spot theirs, in the attacking part of Barca that'd not be enough to label them as such ofc as they have amongst the best n the world ahead but elsewhere in the team yeah it would be fair to say.

Then again the best two players in the league last season where flops both Salah and delete bruyne bombed out at Chelsea, and under a different less patient manager, the league best keeper would have bombed out at united those first two seasons he had there.

I'm no big fan of Chris Smalling, but I can see the attraction of signing 15 million pound players for free. He could replace Zouma for free, or we could buy Zouma and sell Keane for 20 million and then have Smalling as the back up to Zouma and Mina.

Gana = Yes
McCarthy = Always injured, has to be sold
Schneiderlin = Got to be sold
Baningime = Yes but due a loan
Davies = Centre midfield
Gomes = Centre midfield

Most clubs have a 2 players per position in the squad. We have Gueye and Gomes first choice, McCarthy and Davies second choice. Beni and Schneiderlin covering that’s before you even get to the other options of Siggurdson or Dowell deeper. Besic is still on loan. Unless we shift a couple out there is no point in buying a squad player and on current form Fred is not shifting Gomes or Gueye.

All three Barca lads where flops for them mate, none made a starting spot theirs, in the attacking part of Barca that'd not be enough to label them as such ofc as they have amongst the best n the world ahead but elsewhere in the team yeah it would be fair to say.

Then again the best two players in the league last season where flops both Salah and delete bruyne bombed out at Chelsea, and under a different less patient manager, the league best keeper would have bombed out at united those first two seasons he had there.
Fair. We just have different concepts of what the term flop means. Flops sounds to me as though they were a complete disaster. But the point is the same. Brands is looking for value. I think he’ll probably buy even younger in the future, but the squad has to be established first.

Digne’s only problem was being stuck behind Jordi Alba. He performed well enough to be at PSG Roma and Barca. Hardly a flop.

I'm no big fan of Chris Smalling, but I can see the attraction of signing 15 million pound players for free. He could replace Zouma for free, or we could buy Zouma and sell Keane for 20 million and then have Smalling as the back up to Zouma and Mina.
He would still stink and take up a decent wage. I’d rather have Mason Holgate or sign a younger, developing player with the upside to eventually be a starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back