Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other thing is, Brands recruitment so far has looked at lads who have made the big move at a young age, flopped and are looking to get themselves back on track. 4 of our 6 signings fall into that category. Highly rated players who have failed to deliver, crucially though not that young/inexperienced so they can't learn/adapt quickly. Same thing is true for Bernard, though he didn't flop on a transfer per se, his career has flatlined post 2014 compared to where he could be.

While a lot of this is pragmatism (we could never have attracted any of the players when they first became available) I do think there's a strategic angle. You're finding good players, who need their confidence rebuilding in a more supportive (arguably less pressured) environment and who will be hungry to turn their careers around.

Fred fits a lot of this. I'm not saying I would sign him but he does fit the profile. Our best player, arguably our best PL striker has flopped at United. It's not the only indication for me.

Re Fred I think a lot depends on McCarthy, Davies and Baningime. If those lads aren't deemed good enough, and cleared out alongside Schneiderlin it will make sense to invest again.

I think this is sound logic given that Silva is well known for getting more out of players that have the talent but just haven't been realising their potential - I also think that's a better phrase than 'flops' as they certainly have the skills it just wasn't working where they were, for differing reasons. So who would those players be in January - not any of the ones linked by the lazy journo's that's for sure!

Agree with all of this other than I’d keep Beni.

But we aren’t going to go and get flipping Fred for 40M, Zat. That being said, if Gana goes down, not sure Beni can replicate what he does.

If we are going to really challenge the top 4 then we need to have players pushing each other for positions...

Baningime is different to Gana...could develop into a tackle machine but seems quite focused on positioning etc rather than charging around into tackles and harrying.

The other thing is, Brands recruitment so far has looked at lads who have made the big move at a young age, flopped and are looking to get themselves back on track. 4 of our 6 signings fall into that category. Highly rated players who have failed to deliver, crucially though not that young/inexperienced so they can't learn/adapt quickly. Same thing is true for Bernard, though he didn't flop on a transfer per se, his career has flatlined post 2014 compared to where he could be.

While a lot of this is pragmatism (we could never have attracted any of the players when they first became available) I do think there's a strategic angle. You're finding good players, who need their confidence rebuilding in a more supportive (arguably less pressured) environment and who will be hungry to turn their careers around.

Fred fits a lot of this. I'm not saying I would sign him but he does fit the profile. Our best player, arguably our best PL striker has flopped at United. It's not the only indication for me.

Re Fred I think a lot depends on McCarthy, Davies and Baningime. If those lads aren't deemed good enough, and cleared out alongside Schneiderlin it will make sense to invest again.

Most clubs have a 2 players per position in the squad. We have Gueye and Gomes first choice, McCarthy and Davies second choice. Beni and Schneiderlin covering that’s before you even get to the other options of Siggurdson or Dowell deeper. Besic is still on loan. Unless we shift a couple out there is no point in buying a squad player and on current form Fred is not shifting Gomes or Gueye.

If we sign Gomes and have him with Gana as the DM/CM combo then the backups imo should be Baningime and Davies....i'd try and sell the others.

That being said, what we would still need would be another top player who is a very good all rounder like Gomes and for me I was suggesting we should take a look at Fred. His stock will be very low at the moment compared to summer and if it stays that way, then we may have a chance In Jan.

Highly unlikely but fits the mould.

We definitely need another central player in addition to Gomes and to punt out a lot of players on/loan currently or those who we just don't need like Schneiderlin and McCarthy.

Saw an article this morning about Arnautovic wanting to leave West Ham and that Everton and Chelsea were the two teams that were mentioned for landing spots. I think we would have a good shoot at getting him if we want to make that move given we would be a step up over west ham, are in need of a striker, could all but guarantee him playing time and we are currently positioned to make a run at the Euroleague next season. It would be interesting to see both him and Richarlison in the line up together since they can both play on the left or as a striker. I feel that the interchanging and movement that SIlva could have them doing could bring our attack it another level.

Can guarantee we won't have any interest in the lad mate, it's his agent using our name to try drum up interest and a move somewhere

If we are going to really challenge the top 4 then we need to have players pushing each other for positions...

Baningime is different to Gana...could develop into a tackle machine but seems quite focused on positioning etc rather than charging around into tackles and harrying.

If we sign Gomes and have him with Gana as the DM/CM combo then the backups imo should be Baningime and Davies....i'd try and sell the others.

That being said, what we would still need would be another top player who is a very good all rounder like Gomes and for me I was suggesting we should take a look at Fred. His stock will be very low at the moment compared to summer and if it stays that way, then we may have a chance In Jan.

Highly unlikely but fits the mould.

We definitely need another central player in addition to Gomes and to punt out a lot of players on/loan currently or those who we just don't need like Schneiderlin and McCarthy.

Reality is mate if we want to be pushing the top four, the days of 18-21 yo academy lads getting sizeable playing time in the league are well gone and will get less and less as we progress.

Simply look at the "top 6" maybe 4-5 players amongst the entire lot playing for them, and most of those are gonna end up replaced sooner rather than later when they can, taa being an example.

Rumours of Chelsea being handed a two year transfer ban, think they’d be very reluctant to let Zouma leave if so.

Rumours of Chelsea being handed a two year transfer ban, think they’d be very reluctant to let Zouma leave if so.

Why? Even if true and a van was imposed they'd simply do what the Spanish clubs did, appeal in order to delay the date of the ban enforcement and use that time to do as much transfer business as possible.

Think the majority who rate him, do so from his form in the champions League mate really, as doubt many have watched much Ukrainian games
I remember when Zorro was being touted as our next manager someone put up a rather long and detailed description of how Shaktar play
It said that Fred was the cornerstone of the team and he dictated how they play and was very versatile
As was said though doing it in the Ukraine in a dominant team is different to doing it in the PL
Maybe somebody could repost the article

I'm no big fan of Chris Smalling, but I can see the attraction of signing 15 million pound players for free. He could replace Zouma for free, or we could buy Zouma and sell Keane for 20 million and then have Smalling as the back up to Zouma and Mina.
Hi Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back