Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smalling would be a no from me of course too.

As for me believing we won’t get anyone in January, I’m just pretty sure we don’t need anyone right now.

We’re not going to win the league. We probably won’t get top four or top 6 really, and more realistically 7th already looks achievable.

Then reasses in the summer if we can push on again as we did this summer.

There is no urgency to improve this January. From me anyway.

People seem in too much of a rush to see us push on. It’s gonna take time despite our obvious progress already.

But that’s just me. And Farhad.

That's the issue. Where could we spend to give it a real go at top 6? CF probably, but man, who is out there? I love all these ideas about selling Morgan, McCarthy, loaning out DCL, selling Jags, recouping that money to splash on a CF, but that sounds like FIFA type stuff.

He is better than Holgate currently but that doesn't mean Holgate wont improve.

I think some people still think we are in the past. We don't need to be looking for experienced bargains any more. We are trying to move on from there. Like when Jonny Evans moved a few years ago, I would have had him back then, decent and experienced but that was the market we were dealing in, that's not the case any more.

Someone like a Lascelles would be better for example, younger, has something to prove, would be a step up for him and it significantly weakens another top flight team. Getting Smalling would probably do nothing major for us and strengthen United as they would have to get a proper replacement for him. It would be pretty pointless.

That said, if Silva/Brands whoever wanted him and thinks he can offer something then he deserves a bit of faith decision wise for now at least.

I'm with you in that I hate that overrated concept of experience for experience sake. But I'm honestly not sure he's better than Holgate. I think he's complete garbage - get him away from Man U and watch how many PKs he's gives us and how he can't get away with the garbage he has to pull because he's not at the level. Lascelles would be better, but he'd be expensive and I just don't think he's THAT good, nor does he break our starting lineup.

I'm with you in that I hate that overrated concept of experience for experience sake. But I'm honestly not sure he's better than Holgate. I think he's complete garbage - get him away from Man U and watch how many PKs he's gives us and how he can't get away with the garbage he has to pull because he's not at the level. Lascelles would be better, but he'd be expensive and I just don't think he's THAT good, nor does he break our starting lineup.

Everyone decent is expensive now. We can afford it anyway.

I would have Lascelles ahead of Keane to be honest and Mina has only played one game... but I don't think we need a centre back anyway right now. I don't think we need anything actually at least until we see how this side pans out first.

Everyone decent is expensive now. We can afford it anyway.

I would have Lascelles ahead of Keane to be honest and Mina has only played one game... but I don't think we need a centre back anyway right now. I don't think we need anything actually at least until we see how this side pans out first.

Yep, interesting to think about, but we aren't even close to gelling yet as a squad and don't have any obvious issues, maybe CF.

Yep, interesting to think about, but we aren't even close to gelling yet as a squad and don't have any obvious issues, maybe CF.

There are obviously a couple of questions that need to be answered but only time will do that. I think Richarlison is ideal for what Silva is looking to do in the middle.

Does anyone here really think Smalling is better than Holgate? Definitely not Keane, Zouma, or Mina. Is he better than Jags, really? And if he is better, he better be MUCH better to justify the incremental difference in wages. Pass for me, he stinks.

Imagine a paring of Smalling and Keane ????

The stuff of nightmares.

We get rid of Williams and replace him with a younger version and just when Keane is starting to get his act together too lol

There are obviously a couple of questions that need to be answered but only time will do that. I think Richarlison is ideal for what Silva is looking to do in the middle.
I don't know about that. He's fine, but it's hard to not think that Silva wants him out wide and just in general, lots of wide depth as he loves to push up his backs and attack from the wide spots on the pitch.

I don't know about that. He's fine, but it's hard to not think that Silva wants him out wide and just in general, lots of wide depth as he loves to push up his backs and attack from the wide spots on the pitch.

I assume he wants a fluid front 3 who can interchange with each other.

That's the issue. Where could we spend to give it a real go at top 6? CF probably, but man, who is out there? I love all these ideas about selling Morgan, McCarthy, loaning out DCL, selling Jags, recouping that money to splash on a CF, but that sounds like FIFA type stuff.
I would say we can improve in a 4/5 positions. Problem is if we don’t improve and start to challenge the top 6/4 in the next 2 seasons. Then the likes of Richarlison, Mina, Gomes if he signs. Maybe even Digne and Bernard. Won’t hang around to finish 7th every season.

I assume he wants a fluid front 3 who can interchange with each other.

I think he definitely wants inside forward types that can score, but I'm not so sure he wouldn't want a CF that can hold the ball up a bit better. Richy is getting better, but he's just SOOO good on the left side. Think it gives us a better alternative than Bernard against the big clubs in that Richy can handle a longer pass and bring it down from out wide. Gives us a bit of relief. Just like him better out there, but can't argue with him playing CF in the current side. It's the right choice and Bernard is obviously good.

I would say we can improve in a 4/5 positions. Problem is if we don’t improve and start to challenge the top 6/4 in the next 2 seasons. Then the likes of Richarlison, Mina, Gomes if he signs. Maybe even Digne and Bernard. Won’t hang around to finish 7th every season.
That's fair, but it'll cost some money to improve at a couple positions and not sure there's too much more left in the kitty this year. Maybe with some sales, but think we'll also have a better idea how all these pieces fit together in the summer. We still can play MUCH BETTER as a unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back