Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fair, but it'll cost some money to improve at a couple positions and not sure there's too much more left in the kitty this year. Maybe with some sales, but think we'll also have a better idea how all these pieces fit together in the summer. We still can play MUCH BETTER as a unit.
I think there is plenty of money still left in the kitty. I kept reading we had no money in the summer and it was sell to buy.

I would say we can improve in a 4/5 positions. Problem is if we don’t improve and start to challenge the top 6/4 in the next 2 seasons. Then the likes of Richarlison, Mina, Gomes if he signs. Maybe even Digne and Bernard. Won’t hang around to finish 7th every season.
Let me start by saying I love Coleman and think he’s been a fantastic servant for the club
The squad needs improving in 3/4 main areas
RW
Walcott pace can terrify defences but his finishing can be erratic and poor at times
If we want goals spread across the team I don’t think he is going to get them for us and he needs to be replaced as a starter
However he is a good option off the bench as defences tire late in the game
CF
I’m not sure Ricarlison is going to get the 20 plus goals a season that CF at the big clubs get every year , I feel he’s better on the left where he offers more of a threat , but where does that leave Bernard .
RB
Coleman is 30 and will be touching 31 at the start of next season .
While I think he has 2 seasons left on him I wouldn’t be against upgrading him if we can someone younger of a similar quality to Digne at the right price , but it’s not a priority
Keep Coleman as back up because I don’t think JJK is going to make the top level we are looking for
LW
If Silva keeps Ricarlison at CF then it remains to be seen if Bernard can chip in with the 10/15 goals necessary to spread the goals around , but I’d certainly give him tonthe end of the season to see how he settles
However I wouldn’t contemplate selling him as he’s a proper footballer and you can never have too many of them.
It’s really a matter of how ruthless Brands/ Silva will be in pursuit of a top 4 place and wether Moshiri and co will back him financially to the levels required
This all goes on the assumption we sign Gomes on a permanent and Zouma or equivalent as well on a permanent
Gomes is the first and last priority

He's not tho, and it will be no surprise if he ends up at Everton.

Had this been Sam/Walsh, I'd have agreed entirely.

I don't think he's awful, but he's not exactly good. I don't think he gets in our defence, let's say that.

Brands/Silva won't go for that type of player. No chance.

Port Vale is a bit harsh
Newcastle , Sunderland or West Ham would be my bet ( not sure who Sturridge would bet on though)

I'm not arguing that he is world class, but he's more than an adequate back up on a free. United have spent tens of millions trying to upgrade on him, and they have failed on each occasion.

That's the issue. Where could we spend to give it a real go at top 6? CF probably, but man, who is out there? I love all these ideas about selling Morgan, McCarthy, loaning out DCL, selling Jags, recouping that money to splash on a CF, but that sounds like FIFA type stuff.

I don’t think we will seriously go for the top 6 this season as it’s not realistic. Yet.

For me anyway.

I don’t think we will seriously go for the top 6 this season as it’s not realistic. Yet.

For me anyway.
City , Chelsea and the sons of Satan are looking good for top 3
Spurs , United and Arsenal all have problems to a different degree
United are all over the shop , good one week , poor the next , brilliant the next , plus they could end up in the Europa league and Jose is not getting his own way with transfers
Spurs are still up and down ( look at the PSV match ) and the new stadium is taking its toll plus they haven’t strengthened, and they might have Europa to contend with
Arsenal were going well but Emery still hasn’t sorted out their defence and they are liable to mistakes plus Europa
If we get a good run between now and mid January and those 3 are still inconsistent and we are there or thereabouts for 4th Moshiri might sanction one or 2 signings if Brands/Silva feels we are in with a shout of 4th/5th

For me anyway.

I’m not so sure. We’re one of the form teams in the league despite playing both Utd and Chelsea away in recent weeks. That’s with players still trying to gel and our new £30m centre back (who will hopefully grab a few goals as well as keep them out) only just coming into the side.

I don’t think we need to strengthen in Jan but I think we should still be targeting to finish above Utd - which I assume will be good enough for 6th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back