Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think that’s a bit harsh, catcher. Which of the 6 are the flops?

Digne. Flop? He was behind a really good player, started all season and impressed at Roma. Probably couldn’t have gotten him, though, so partially agree.

Mina. Could we not have gotten him out of Brazil? Maybe not over Barca. Flop? Eh, pretty early to call him that.

Gomes. Flopped at Barca, although he was just a bad fit, but could we had gotten him from Valencia? Not sure.

But Zouma, Richy, Bernard, flops?

Maybe these players had impediments to their career development, maybe I’m taking umbrage with the he term flop, but still think it’s a bit harsh.

I didn't mean it in a harsh way mate. It was just a point that just because Fred struggles in his first season at United shouldn't mean we discard him. In many ways it might bring him more into focus.

We can use different labels. But most of the lads haven't as yet fulfilled early promise and capitalised on big moves. Peinaar was much the same as this and to an extent Arteta too. It's no bad ting for me. Nigel Martyn had fallen out of favour at Leeds as well when we got him.

So I agree with everything you wrote - Beni is a bit different, right now Beni/Davies as DM/CM backups is correct, and yes, it would be nice to have someone a bit better than Beni as backup to Gana. But buying Fred at $35M is a pretty extreme response to that. If anything, if we really want to splash the cash, let's get someone who can play both box to box knowing that we might not be able to keep Gomes and also sub in for DM if need be. Doucoure comes to mind, but someone like that. Doucoure, Ndombele, De Jong - kid is amazing, these guys would be super expensive. I supposed the second tier would be Sander Berge, maybe Arne Meier, who's really good BTW, Tyler Adams (USA!USA!), guys like that. But how much better are these guys than Beni or Tom Davies?

OR find someone undervalued that could be OKAY as backup if we don't think Beni is ready. How's Bayou Ndiaye doing at Galatassary? Someone like that?

But if we are really concerned about buying backups, don't we have bigger holes at ACM? Bernard has never played there, so not sure he's the answer. What about keeper? Is Virginia better than Davies as a backup b/c I'd put Stek in the same bucket as Schneiderlin, McCarthy, etc.

Realistically, we move Morgan, keep McCarthy, and have Beni/Davies as well. Competing with the top 4 isn't going to happen overnight.

It has to be an u25 player who (like Fred) is considered a flop or not good enough (for whatever reason) at their new club -- that Brands/Silva feel will hit their best levels with us...

OR

An u21 player who plays in a team which is smaller than us or of course a top side where they arent getting games.

I would just look at the centre like this if we sign Gomes;

Sigurdsson/Vlasic/Dowell
Gomes/Davies
Gana/Baningime

What we really need is to be able to loan out Dowell and Baningime as a January priority to ensure their development doesnt stall with no game time.

Schneiderlin, Besic and McCarthy can all be sold to free up some funds. Then (as you suggested) we should be looking at someone who can make an impact at DM/CM. Perhaps not even with such a focus on this season but to acclimatise and be up to speed for next season.

Berge is at Genk so easy to attain
Tielemans at a struggling Monano
Ddombele's Lyon are 4th miles off PSG
Meier at Hertha

These 4 could be possible signings for us, as could many more Brands has knowledge of.

I feel we do need one new player in and the 3 i mentioned sold with Baningime on loan.

Moise Kean cracking header vs England U21. Ronaldo etc. in the way. One to watch.

Weird hes not been sent on loan again this season.

Declan rice could leave on a free, contract dispute. Would not mind him ending up here

Is he really as good as the media say or did he just have a good game against us?

Wouldnt be free either, would be a tribunal for him.

Perhaps the bracket below what were looking for?

Berge is at Genk so easy to attain
Tielemans at a struggling Monano
Ddombele's Lyon are 4th miles off PSG
Meier at Hertha
I'm 100% sold on Ndombele and Aouar from Lyon, they're brilliant, but I'm doubtful that we'd be that attractive to them

He's class.

But, the Bundesliga is brilliant for that type of player to thrive.
Starting to look a bit Eredivisie like in Germany I agree but not every 18 year old is doing what he does. I think he'll keep it up and maybe he will keep Pulisic out of the team so we can sign him for our right side.

I'm 100% sold on Ndombele and Aouar from Lyon, they're brilliant, but I'm doubtful that we'd be that attractive to them

Depends, Silva and Brands seem to be very persuasive.

Good brand of football and some big name players in our side.

Yeah true. Lookman also shone over there as has the likes of Keita for the RS and our own klaassaan and neither are established over here so its definitely a weaker league.

It's just very different.

Pacey, skillful players thrive there because all of the teams attack with pace, which then opens up space in midfield as well (which is why Klaassen is doing well).

Sancho is a real talent, though.

Starting to look a bit Eredivisie like in Germany I agree but not every 18 year old is doing what he does. I think he'll keep it up and maybe he will keep Pulisic out of the team so we can sign him for our right side.

Hmm, I don't think the defending has been good for some time really. Dortmund never had a good defence under Klopp. Hummels is probably the best defender in that league and he's not as good as the best four in the PL, which itself isn't a 'great' defensive league (because there aren't that many great defenders really left!).

Pulisic would be a dream, ey :D

Hmm, I don't think the defending has been good for some time really. Dortmund never had a good defence under Klopp. Hummels is probably the best defender in that league and he's not as good as the best four in the PL, which itself isn't a 'great' defensive league (because there aren't that many great defenders really left!).

Pulisic would be a dream, ey :D
I'm not saying there's much chance of it happening but if Pulisic struggles for game time the rest of the season, which is possible with how well Reus and Sancho are playing, he might look to leave. And if it's playing time he's looking for it might be best if he avoided teams that tend to stockpile attacking players and instead went somewhere where he was going to be first choice from the start. As you say more a dream than anything but maybe not an impossible one.

Smalling would be a no from me of course too.

As for me believing we won’t get anyone in January, I’m just pretty sure we don’t need anyone right now.

We’re not going to win the league. We probably won’t get top four or top 6 really, and more realistically 7th already looks achievable.

Then reasses in the summer if we can push on again as we did this
summer.

There is no urgency to improve this January. From me anyway.

People seem in too much of a rush to see us push on. It’s gonna take time despite our obvious progress already.

But that’s just me. And Farhad.
Yeah bingo

It's only worthwhile paying that January premium if you've got something to push for that season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back