Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that's what Watford do. Let's be better than Watford.
Oh I hope to be better ( or as good as ) the top teams , if that means we strengthen in January then so be it.
ATM we are missing a slotter , if Brands & Silva identify one that fits into this team then we should be signing them.
Dont subscribe to not signing anyone in January me.
As they say if this "Iranian has got the dough"

Seen us linked with Rojo again today. Not sure about that one, probably a sign of how far we have come in a short space of time coz I'd have been made up with him in the summer. Just feel like now we should be aiming higher.

Oh I hope to be better ( or as good as ) the top teams , if that means we strengthen in January then so be it.
ATM we are missing a slotter , if Brands & Silva identify one that fits into this team then we should be signing them.
Dont subscribe to not signing anyone in January me.
As they say if this "Iranian has got the dough"
I truly believe that Richarlison's future lies up top. I've said this multiple times in his thread but I don't understand what people want from a center forward that he isn't doing. So for me a development #9 to back him up would be good because I'm just not sure about DCL and Tosun isn't putting fear in defenses. But that is secondary to getting in another true right winger and hopefully one that will at the very least push Walcott to a higher level. Then we'd have depth across the front three.

I am a fan of signings in January , can lift the squad , fans and obviously adjust the team. The main reason I like it and am happy to pay a bit more is because I’m sick of starting the season and waiting for our players to bed in, gel, adjust to the league etc just like Bernard , gomes, Mina are doing now. I want to be ready for the first game next season with as many players adjusted, settled on etc . We need to be at it from day 1 if we are going to push top 4 or 6. They have quality played that have adjusted and proved themselves and they can always revert back to them if any new signings don’t settle right away due to their squads. We are at the stage where any big signings that hopefully are capable of pushing us on, are going to be very big players that we need playing well from the start of the season and we won’t hace any back up players at the same quality. That’s why , if brands and Silva think we need , cm, st, rb, cb? Or whatever , we should try and sign as many as we can in January to give us a good chance to be ready for the first day of next season

I get all that. And I guess a bit of it is personal preference.

Totally get that getting players in Jan would also set them up better for next season. I guess we can see with Tosun and to a lesser extent Walcott that it doesn’t always work...although I’m harsh on them two at the minute.

And to be clear, to improve we definitely will need new and better players, in just far from convinced that January will see that happen as they’re not needed right now.

But yeah, personal preference I guess. I’d rather wait myself. I reckon more value can be found in the summer. And we’d be in a bette position to push on then too.

Seen us linked with Rojo again today. Not sure about that one, probably a sign of how far we have come in a short space of time coz I'd have been made up with him in the summer. Just feel like now we should be aiming higher.

Saw that too. Not for me but if it is happen it’s all about trusting in the management who have done alright so far.

I get all that. And I guess a bit of it is personal preference.

Totally get that getting players in Jan would also set them up better for next season. I guess we can see with Tosun and to a lesser extent Walcott that it doesn’t always work...although I’m harsh on them two at the minute.

And to be clear, to improve we definitely will need new and better players, in just far from convinced that January will see that happen as they’re not needed right now.

But yeah, personal preference I guess. I’d rather wait myself. I reckon more value can be found in the summer. And we’d be in a bette position to push on then too.
Mostly agree with this , but come January and suspensions and god forbid any further injuries kick in we would be struggling.
Not the best of times January to sign players but then again recently we have a track record of signing some turkey's in the summer windows.
Our 1st 11/12-13 are up there atm and the only thing I see we could improve is finishing the amount of chances we are making now.

Now where's the next budding Suarez ?

For me

ST
CM x2
RW
CB
RB

That’s assuming gomes and zouma don’t sign . I would sign both if possible.

All players signed must be first team players that push our now starting players to the bench
And where’s the money coming from to sign those 6 starters
If they are all going to start you are looking at the guts of 200m pounds minimum

Mostly agree with this , but come January and suspensions and god forbid any further injuries kick in we would be struggling.
Not the best of times January to sign players but then again recently we have a track record of signing some turkey's in the summer windows.
Our 1st 11/12-13 are up there atm and the only thing I see we could improve is finishing the amount of chances we are making now.

Now where's the next budding Suarez ?

Yeah of course should circumstances change and we have loss if injuries (not unheard of for us!) and suspensions then that’s a different story and we might need to see what we can get.

But as of this moment, I don’t think we need anyone until summer.

..I presume you’re suggesting positions that need strengthening in Summer. We won’t know about Gomes and Zouma until summer and this is the January transfer thread.

Moshiri has already said the club might not spend at all in January because players are still bedding in. Unless a particular player is available, I think that might be the case.

I think there's certainly a bit of bluff with Moshiri in a sense that you don't want to tell everyone how much you are looking to spend and ultimately have your pants pulled down. I would also suggest Brands will be directing him more now and will likely say raising the expectations in that way places needless pressure on him. Under promise and over deliver.

Another important point to consider is that signing lots of players in January is rarely indicative of a club in a good place. It's been interesting in the last couple of seasons the teams at the top of the league have hardly strengthened. I'm not sure lots of recruitment in January massively helps.

For me a lot for us will be based on trying to remove players. I said in the summer the cull of the squad we saw is likely a 3 window job. I think you will see more players move on. Lads like Schneiderlin, Niasse, possibly Baines and Jagielka may well go and even some of the young player who aren't getting much game time (Dowell & Banningime) may go out if the right championship team comes in (with the possible pre-cursor to being sold).

I can't see any major signings arriving for us in January. I do think we may look for loans or possibly a prospect target. The lad Barrios for example may be one, where Brands knows someone who is very capable and wants to finalise the deal before the summer. The price won't be subject to the vagaries of price volatility of the PL mid season circus so we won't be burnt. Also maybe someone like Barbosa may come in at a knockdown price.

I think there's certainly a bit of bluff with Moshiri in a sense that you don't want to tell everyone how much you are looking to spend and ultimately have your pants pulled down. I would also suggest Brands will be directing him more now and will likely say raising the expectations in that way places needless pressure on him. Under promise and over deliver.
Basically the whole "issue" of the Lukaku summer. Everyone knew we had a ton of money and, as such, quoted us high prices.

Honestly, I said this before, it's like we never did any actual negotiating.

"How much do you want for Keane wiht 1 year left?" "30m". "ok!"

"Now this 25 year old Dutch lad who never left Ajax, how about him?" "ehm...25m?" "OK!"

Another important point to consider is that signing lots of players in January is rarely indicative of a club in a good place. It's been interesting in the last couple of seasons the teams at the top of the league have hardly strengthened. I'm not sure lots of recruitment in January massively helps.

For me a lot for us will be based on trying to remove players. I said in the summer the cull of the squad we saw is likely a 3 window job. I think you will see more players move on. Lads like Schneiderlin, Niasse, possibly Baines and Jagielka may well go and even some of the young player who aren't getting much game time (Dowell & Banningime) may go out if the right championship team comes in (with the possible pre-cursor to being sold).

I can't see any major signings arriving for us in January. I do think we may look for loans or possibly a prospect target. The lad Barrios for example may be one, where Brands knows someone who is very capable and wants to finalise the deal before the summer. The price won't be subject to the vagaries of price volatility of the PL mid season circus so we won't be burnt. Also maybe someone like Barbosa may come in at a knockdown price.

...I largely agree. I think we will only buy if somebody we particularly want is available who might give us a boost. I doubt Baines and Jagielka will go at this point. The fact Jagielka was used on Sunday indicates Silva trusts him and puts him ahead of Holgate in the queue. Similarly, Baines is the only real back-up for Digne.

Schneiderlin, Niasse and Browning might be in demand I suppose but I suspect wholesale change will wait until summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back