Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fellaini walks on this team in front of Walcott or Bernard. Siggy would move out wide.

So move him from where he’s looking a player integral to our side to where he was ineffective last year and where his form for spurs was similar ? That oft quoted and non attributable definition of insanity of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result feels appropriate.

Yeah of course should circumstances change and we have loss if injuries (not unheard of for us!) and suspensions then that’s a different story and we might need to see what we can get.

But as of this moment, I don’t think we need anyone until summer.
Not even a Boss Slotter if they were to become available and the possibility of releasing Niasse or even Tosun ?

Obviously if such a player is not available I'm fine with that.

I can see 1/2 from the South American market being targeted as their season ends soon. And if rumours are right clubs not prepared to release players mid season as with Barios.
Maybe January is the only time to get players from that type of market.

Anyway very happy with the squad up to now.

Not even a Boss Slotter if they were to become available and the possibility of releasing Niasse or even Tosun ?

Obviously if such a player is not available I'm fine with that.

I can see 1/2 from the South American market being targeted as their season ends soon. And if rumours are right clubs not prepared to release players mid season as with Barios.
Maybe January is the only time to get players from that type of market.

Anyway very happy with the squad up to now.

If there’s one there then yeah of course. Just don’t think there will be.

Basically the whole "issue" of the Lukaku summer. Everyone knew we had a ton of money and, as such, quoted us high prices.

Honestly, I said this before, it's like we never did any actual negotiating.

"How much do you want for Keane wiht 1 year left?" "30m". "ok!"

"Now this 25 year old Dutch lad who never left Ajax, how about him?" "ehm...25m?" "OK!"

I think he realises we got burnt in his first 2 summers. While I don't think it's entirely connected (there are other factors) there's no doubt a link. You start flashing your cash about and people will take advantage.

I think thats why it was important Brands walked away from the Tierney deals (and others) as well as taking some to the wire. It sent out a message that those days were done.

...I largely agree. I think we will only buy if somebody we particularly want is available who might give us a boost. I doubt Baines and Jagielka will go at this point. The fact Jagielka was used on Sunday indicates Silva trusts him and puts him ahead of Holgate in the queue. Similarly, Baines is the only real back-up for Digne.

Schneiderlin, Niasse and Browning might be in demand I suppose but I suspect wholesale change will wait until summer.

We clearly want to trim the squad. That process will continue through January and into the next window.

I think Baines and Jagielka will only leave if they want too. I can't see the club standing in their way if they do. I have no idea what each player wants, but you could understand if they want to maximise playing time at the end of their careers it may be an option for them.

Seen us linked with Rojo again today. Not sure about that one, probably a sign of how far we have come in a short space of time coz I'd have been made up with him in the summer. Just feel like now we should be aiming higher.

Would be a decent signing if he could ever stay fit - which he can’t. Plus he wouldn’t start ahead of Keane, Mina or zouma

Which players from abroad are out of contract at the end of the season? Pre contract agreements can be signed from Jan.

I love the Bernard signing. Pay a sizeable signing on fee and no transfer fee. Any other good ones out there?

Obviously needs to be the right player to avoid us being stuck paying massive wages if it doesn’t work out but that’s similar to most transfer signings.

January should be all about shifting more deadwood on permanents if possible for me.

One or two quality additions, hopefully a striker and a right back would be a bonus

..I presume you’re suggesting positions that need strengthening in Summer. We won’t know about Gomes and Zouma until summer and this is the January transfer thread.

Moshiri has already said the club might not spend at all in January because players are still bedding in. Unless a particular player is available, I think that might be the case.

I mean that’s what we need to get close to challenging , and needs to happen relatively fast, hence why I said I would like ya to sign players in January, then try sign couple more in the summer and then the next window or summer

I get all that. And I guess a bit of it is personal preference.

Totally get that getting players in Jan would also set them up better for next season. I guess we can see with Tosun and to a lesser extent Walcott that it doesn’t always work...although I’m harsh on them two at the minute.

And to be clear, to improve we definitely will need new and better players, in just far from convinced that January will see that happen as they’re not needed right now.

But yeah, personal preference I guess. I’d rather wait myself. I reckon more value can be found in the summer. And we’d be in a bette position to push on then too.

I’m not saying we will or won’t spend in jan , I was just replying to someone that said they don’t like the jan window or prefer not to sign in January , or words to that effect. I was just saying I am a fan of January windows and don’t mind spending more as it gives us a better chance of starting next season we’ll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back