Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean that’s what we need to get close to challenging , and needs to happen relatively fast, hence why I said I would like ya to sign players in January, then try sign couple more in the summer and then the next window or summer

..the transformation in such a short period of time is startling but the reality is it normally takes at least two summer windows to instigate the start of real change.

And where’s the money coming from to sign those 6 starters
If they are all going to start you are looking at the guts of 200m pounds minimum

Sales and moshiri backing the manager . How else we going to improve if we don’t invest and change players? We have half a good team now , we need another 5-6 to make us a very good side , that’s a fact in my eyes, it’s the situation we are in and if we don’t push on we will fall further behind

..the transformation in such a short period of time is startling but the reality is it normally takes at least two summer windows to instigate the start of real change.

Agreed , but 5-6 signings over 3-4 windows isn’t a massive turnover, especially if zouma and gomes are two of them say summer window, then a ST , RB and CM and RW is all that’s required over this jan, summer and next jan and summer .

Sales and moshiri backing the manager . How else we going to improve if we don’t invest and change players? We have half a good team now , we need another 5-6 to make us a very good side , that’s a fact in my eyes, it’s the situation we are in and if we don’t push on we will fall further behind
Unless Usmanov comes on board , there is a rights issue ( which if it does happen will be Stadium related IMHO) or Bill coughs up the Arteta money then FFP and Moshiri’s relative wealth won’t allow the spending of 200 plus million over 2/4 windows

We spent a lot more than anyone expected in the summer. People stating we should spend more or that Moshiri should back the manager more need to be realistic. Moshiri has backed the manager and I imagine that Silva is very happy with the squad that he’s been given to work with.

Let these guys continue to gel. Carry on the way we’re going and compete for top 6. Take stock again at the end of the season when there’s a lot more available players to target.

(Unless Lozano is available in jan and then do whatever it takes to get him in)

We spent a lot more than anyone expected in the summer. People stating we should spend more or that Moshiri should back the manager more need to be realistic. Moshiri has backed the manager and I imagine that Silva is very happy with the squad that he’s been given to work with.

Let these guys continue to gel. Carry on the way we’re going and compete for top 6. Take stock again at the end of the season when there’s a lot more available players to target.

(Unless Lozano is available in jan and then do whatever it takes to get him in)
Im pretty sure Lozano agreed to stay with PSV for 2 years which would take him up to summer of 2019, then he would be let go to a bigger european club, i do hope we will be in there when he decides to move whenever it is.

Which players from abroad are out of contract at the end of the season? Pre contract agreements can be signed from Jan.

I love the Bernard signing. Pay a sizeable signing on fee and no transfer fee. Any other good ones out there?

Obviously needs to be the right player to avoid us being stuck paying massive wages if it doesn’t work out but that’s similar to most transfer signings.

Did a quick search of players who run out of contract at the end of 2019.

Some interesting names

Contact ends 2018/19

Unless Usmanov comes on board , there is a rights issue ( which if it does happen will be Stadium related IMHO) or Bill coughs up the Arteta money then FFP and Moshiri’s relative wealth won’t allow the spending of 200 plus million over 2/4 windows

Well then we might as well give up mate, we cannot challenge if we can’t even buy a better players that we already have and that aren’t good enough to challenge currently. Digne was 17m mate , Silva signed richy for 11m before , brands singed Lozano for 6m? And apparently had eyes on richy , Mina was bought for 11m last January . You just have to find the right players , Walcott , Morgan , DCL , Tuson, niasse are all saleable and would have interest if we decided to rais funds. Mirralas , bolasie, sandro need to go buy think we are stick with them until their contracts expire

Did a quick search of players who run out of contract at the end of 2019.

Some interesting names

Contact ends 2018/19

I find it hard to believe some of those players are out of contract in the summer
A lot will have options for one more year
I know Zouma signed a 6 year deal in 2017 so there are probably a lot of other errors on that list or it’s way out of date
There are a lot of names I’d jump at
James , Higuain , Mata Fabregas plus a couple of CB and RW
However I think the list is out of date and not s lot would come here
Higuain if he is out of contract would be a statement signing

Well then we might as well give up mate, we cannot challenge if we can’t even buy a better players that we already have and that aren’t good enough to challenge currently. Digne was 17m mate , Silva signed richy for 11m before , brands singed Lozano for 6m? And apparently had eyes on richy , Mina was bought for 11m last January . You just have to find the right players , Walcott , Morgan , DCL , Tuson, niasse are all saleable and would have interest if we decided to rais funds. Mirralas , bolasie, sandro need to go buy think we are stick with them until their contracts expire
No not give up just spend within our means
Yes I’d like us to be like City a couple of years ago and spend north of 200 m in one window but it’s not going to happen , it can’t happen

I find it hard to believe some of those players are out of contract in the summer
A lot will have options for one more year
I know Zouma signed a 6 year deal in 2017 so there are probably a lot of other errors on that list or it’s way out of date
There are a lot of names I’d jump at
James , Higuain , Mata Fabregas plus a couple of CB and RW
However I think the list is out of date and not s lot would come here
Higuain if he is out of contract would be a statement signing

Yeah your absolutely right, I didn't really double check the names on the list, just put in the link.

Personally I would like a right back right wing and striker.

January should be all about shifting more deadwood on permanents if possible for me.

One or two quality additions, hopefully a striker and a right back would be a bonus
Quite right. We have plenty of lads that can be shipped for dollar bills. January is also about strengthening/fortifying for the final stretch, so I disagree with the notion that we shouldn’t sign anyone. Hopefully at least one impactful player comes in.

I truly believe that Richarlison's future lies up top. I've said this multiple times in his thread but I don't understand what people want from a center forward that he isn't doing. So for me a development #9 to back him up would be good because I'm just not sure about DCL and Tosun isn't putting fear in defenses. But that is secondary to getting in another true right winger and hopefully one that will at the very least push Walcott to a higher level. Then we'd have depth across the front three.

Absolutely need a right sided player at the same level as Richarlison...for me its Lozano but im sure Brands has a few names on the list.

Richarlison stays CF till Jan and lets see how he and Bernard are doing...not to mention if Lookman gets in the 11.

I get all that. And I guess a bit of it is personal preference.

Totally get that getting players in Jan would also set them up better for next season. I guess we can see with Tosun and to a lesser extent Walcott that it doesn’t always work...although I’m harsh on them two at the minute.

And to be clear, to improve we definitely will need new and better players, in just far from convinced that January will see that happen as they’re not needed right now.

But yeah, personal preference I guess. I’d rather wait myself. I reckon more value can be found in the summer. And we’d be in a bette position to push on then too.
Mostly agree with this , but come January and suspensions and god forbid any further injuries kick in we would be struggling.
Not the best of times January to sign players but then again recently we have a track record of signing some turkey's in the summer windows.
Our 1st 11/12-13 are up there atm and the only thing I see we could improve is finishing the amount of chances we are making now.

Now where's the next budding Suarez ?
I think there's certainly a bit of bluff with Moshiri in a sense that you don't want to tell everyone how much you are looking to spend and ultimately have your pants pulled down. I would also suggest Brands will be directing him more now and will likely say raising the expectations in that way places needless pressure on him. Under promise and over deliver.

Another important point to consider is that signing lots of players in January is rarely indicative of a club in a good place. It's been interesting in the last couple of seasons the teams at the top of the league have hardly strengthened. I'm not sure lots of recruitment in January massively helps.

For me a lot for us will be based on trying to remove players. I said in the summer the cull of the squad we saw is likely a 3 window job. I think you will see more players move on. Lads like Schneiderlin, Niasse, possibly Baines and Jagielka may well go and even some of the young player who aren't getting much game time (Dowell & Banningime) may go out if the right championship team comes in (with the possible pre-cursor to being sold).

I can't see any major signings arriving for us in January. I do think we may look for loans or possibly a prospect target. The lad Barrios for example may be one, where Brands knows someone who is very capable and wants to finalise the deal before the summer. The price won't be subject to the vagaries of price volatility of the PL mid season circus so we won't be burnt. Also maybe someone like Barbosa may come in at a knockdown price.

Ive mentioned this a few times but;

Posters are suggesting we wont get value or top players in Jan as its midway through the european leagues...

Fair enough...

But its the end of the south american season...

The top sides like barca and Madrid along with PSV and Ajax etc tend to sign south americans in jan.

I think jan will be a good indicator if were looking to bring in players from that region. Cant see it being delayed till summer...makes no sense for the selling clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back