Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fred is getting a lot of stick at United...could be an interesting player for us.

@BlueToff @bluestevon hows Paredes doing at Zenit?

Don't really think midfield has to be a priority at all.

Not sure on Paredes, think he got sent off a few weeks back and got stick in the media because they suggested that he did it so he could go back to Argentina for Boca-River :D

Good player, though.

Not sure on Paredes, think he got sent off a few weeks back and got stick in the media because they suggested that he did it so he could go back to Argentina for Boca-River :D

Good player, though.
Wasn’t that Druissi? Either way, it’s still quite funny

Good player, though.

Midfielder is an absolute top priority in terms of making sure we sign gomes up mate.

Saw an article this morning about Arnautovic wanting to leave West Ham and that Everton and Chelsea were the two teams that were mentioned for landing spots. I think we would have a good shoot at getting him if we want to make that move given we would be a step up over west ham, are in need of a striker, could all but guarantee him playing time and we are currently positioned to make a run at the Euroleague next season. It would be interesting to see both him and Richarlison in the line up together since they can both play on the left or as a striker. I feel that the interchanging and movement that SIlva could have them doing could bring our attack it another level.

Arnautovic is more Kevin Mirallas than, well Kevin Mirallas.

Talented players but frustrating bellends.

Standard United reject linked with Everton story. We have 5 centrebacks in the squad. Bizarre as it is to say after last season but it’s not a position we need to worry about until Zouma’s loan finishes.

And even then we have Keane, Mina and holgate. Yes we’ll need another centre back but not necessarily someone who is going to be getting paid at the top end of our wage structure.

I`d settle for that, if it meant not signing Smalling.

He`s the new Ashley Williams MK 2 and is even doing all that stupid stuff with his hair like Williams too.

Smalling would be a no from me of course too.

As for me believing we won’t get anyone in January, I’m just pretty sure we don’t need anyone right now.

We’re not going to win the league. We probably won’t get top four or top 6 really, and more realistically 7th already looks achievable.

Then reasses in the summer if we can push on again as we did this summer.

There is no urgency to improve this January. From me anyway.

People seem in too much of a rush to see us push on. It’s gonna take time despite our obvious progress already.

But that’s just me. And Farhad.

If we are going to really challenge the top 4 then we need to have players pushing each other for positions...

Baningime is different to Gana...could develop into a tackle machine but seems quite focused on positioning etc rather than charging around into tackles and harrying.

If we sign Gomes and have him with Gana as the DM/CM combo then the backups imo should be Baningime and Davies....i'd try and sell the others.

That being said, what we would still need would be another top player who is a very good all rounder like Gomes and for me I was suggesting we should take a look at Fred. His stock will be very low at the moment compared to summer and if it stays that way, then we may have a chance In Jan.

Highly unlikely but fits the mould.

We definitely need another central player in addition to Gomes and to punt out a lot of players on/loan currently or those who we just don't need like Schneiderlin and McCarthy.

So I agree with everything you wrote - Beni is a bit different, right now Beni/Davies as DM/CM backups is correct, and yes, it would be nice to have someone a bit better than Beni as backup to Gana. But buying Fred at $35M is a pretty extreme response to that. If anything, if we really want to splash the cash, let's get someone who can play both box to box knowing that we might not be able to keep Gomes and also sub in for DM if need be. Doucoure comes to mind, but someone like that. Doucoure, Ndombele, De Jong - kid is amazing, these guys would be super expensive. I supposed the second tier would be Sander Berge, maybe Arne Meier, who's really good BTW, Tyler Adams (USA!USA!), guys like that. But how much better are these guys than Beni or Tom Davies?

OR find someone undervalued that could be OKAY as backup if we don't think Beni is ready. How's Bayou Ndiaye doing at Galatassary? Someone like that?

But if we are really concerned about buying backups, don't we have bigger holes at ACM? Bernard has never played there, so not sure he's the answer. What about keeper? Is Virginia better than Davies as a backup b/c I'd put Stek in the same bucket as Schneiderlin, McCarthy, etc.

Realistically, we move Morgan, keep McCarthy, and have Beni/Davies as well. Competing with the top 4 isn't going to happen overnight.

Does anyone here really think Smalling is better than Holgate? Definitely not Keane, Zouma, or Mina. Is he better than Jags, really? And if he is better, he better be MUCH better to justify the incremental difference in wages. Pass for me, he stinks.

No, not reasonable at all. On the first page of this thread, couldn't be arsed looking much further, Ijjysmith comments 3 times about not getting anyone. Did you pick up and challenge him on his views? Others go on to say comments like 'no chance' 'no way' etc etc.
I gave my opinion in a similar, but more long winded, way and my reasons for those opinions.
You chose to pick on that 'opinion' for reasons best known to yourself.
The thread title does not state anywhere that you have to come up with names and most of the responses I have read are just shooting down names mentioned by others and give no opinions of their own either. Did you choose to challenge them?

I stick by my original post as I do think it is as valid as any other comments on this thread together with my reasoning for those views.

Are you one of those people who think 'ah, he's got a low post count I'll just have a dig at him' For no other reason than to increase your own post count and it 'sounds big and hard'?

Believe it or not the internet is full of opinions both enlightening and bland and I suggest you let people get on and have their opinions or just ignore them completely.

Maybe gatekeeper was the wrong term in your case and may be more suited to internet bully.

If you see my posts in future then just ignore them and I'm sure we'll both be happier on got.

Can you 2 privately message each other rather than go back and forth. It’s quite tedious.

Does anyone here really think Smalling is better than Holgate? Definitely not Keane, Zouma, or Mina. Is he better than Jags, really? And if he is better, he better be MUCH better to justify the incremental difference in wages. Pass for me, he stinks.

He is better than Holgate currently but that doesn't mean Holgate wont improve.

I think some people still think we are in the past. We don't need to be looking for experienced bargains any more. We are trying to move on from there. Like when Jonny Evans moved a few years ago, I would have had him back then, decent and experienced but that was the market we were dealing in, that's not the case any more.

Someone like a Lascelles would be better for example, younger, has something to prove, would be a step up for him and it significantly weakens another top flight team. Getting Smalling would probably do nothing major for us and strengthen United as they would have to get a proper replacement for him. It would be pretty pointless.

That said, if Silva/Brands whoever wanted him and thinks he can offer something then he deserves a bit of faith decision wise for now at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back