Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Creature, you started off a post in THE January 2019 Transfer Window thread by saying -
'Don't think it matters who people want or would like in January and beyond anymore'.
As in the thread, and all the people who have been giving their views on who they would like to come in or out, are irrelevant. Fair enough.
To which I replied 'Why are you on this thread then?' - reasonable response, no gatekeeper here.

Btw, agree with you on Vlasic.

No, not reasonable at all. On the first page of this thread, couldn't be arsed looking much further, Ijjysmith comments 3 times about not getting anyone. Did you pick up and challenge him on his views? Others go on to say comments like 'no chance' 'no way' etc etc.
I gave my opinion in a similar, but more long winded, way and my reasons for those opinions.
You chose to pick on that 'opinion' for reasons best known to yourself.
The thread title does not state anywhere that you have to come up with names and most of the responses I have read are just shooting down names mentioned by others and give no opinions of their own either. Did you choose to challenge them?

I stick by my original post as I do think it is as valid as any other comments on this thread together with my reasoning for those views.

Are you one of those people who think 'ah, he's got a low post count I'll just have a dig at him' For no other reason than to increase your own post count and it 'sounds big and hard'?

Believe it or not the internet is full of opinions both enlightening and bland and I suggest you let people get on and have their opinions or just ignore them completely.

Maybe gatekeeper was the wrong term in your case and may be more suited to internet bully.

If you see my posts in future then just ignore them and I'm sure we'll both be happier on got.

Fair. We just have different concepts of what the term flop means. Flops sounds to me as though they were a complete disaster. But the point is the same. Brands is looking for value. I think he’ll probably buy even younger in the future, but the squad has to be established first.

For me it all depends on which club mate, failing at some is almost no guarantee of anything, Chelsea for example, Barca and Madrid etc, some clubs deem a player a flop after half s dozen games, mina at Barca etc, hell we've done that ourselves in the past with players like klassen and further back kroldrup.

Generally how I'd use the term would be when a player is brought in for a specific role and ultimately fails to achieve that and is actively moved on by the club.

In that category martial really has flopped at united, was brought in with the fee and expectation to be their next massive player, four years on, is still effectively a squad rotation player whose never nailed a starting spot in the team down under two different managers

If we do any business I think a striker will be it, can't see much being done until summer and given the prices and of the winter window it's probably a good idea to wait unless we suddenly go into free fall but that doesn't look like it will happen this year, we are getting better all the time which is good news.

No, not reasonable at all. On the first page of this thread, couldn't be arsed looking much further, Ijjysmith comments 3 times about not getting anyone. Did you pick up and challenge him on his views? Others go on to say comments like 'no chance' 'no way' etc etc.
I gave my opinion in a similar, but more long winded, way and my reasons for those opinions.
You chose to pick on that 'opinion' for reasons best known to yourself.
The thread title does not state anywhere that you have to come up with names and most of the responses I have read are just shooting down names mentioned by others and give no opinions of their own either. Did you choose to challenge them?

I stick by my original post as I do think it is as valid as any other comments on this thread together with my reasoning for those views.

Are you one of those people who think 'ah, he's got a low post count I'll just have a dig at him' For no other reason than to increase your own post count and it 'sounds big and hard'?

Believe it or not the internet is full of opinions both enlightening and bland and I suggest you let people get on and have their opinions or just ignore them completely.

Maybe gatekeeper was the wrong term in your case and may be more suited to internet bully.

If you see my posts in future then just ignore them and I'm sure we'll both be happier on got.

Leave me out of this.

Maybe, but that would be a step down in quality.

would be decent upgrade on jags for free imo. We either need to get zouma + an even better player, or zouma/that player + a backup centre back, whilst getting rid of jagielka and williams. Obviously smalling being a first choice wouldn't be ambitious, but i'd probably take him as a decent ish english centre back. Doubt he'd go from first choice at united to 4th choice at everton though.

This, in reality, would be absolutely dreadful business

How so?

I know it's humorous to pretend that Smalling is some kind of donkey that has spent his career playing for the likes of Burnley, but he's actually been playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world, who have spent fortunes on trying to replace him but have failed to do so on each occasion.

If we don't sign Zouma, then Smalling will be a massive upgrade on the likes of Holgate and Jagielka ffs. If we do sign Zouma, then I can see Keane being benched, and think it would make sense to cash in on him, and replace him with someone of a similar ability on a free transfer, which would also allow us to bank an extra 20 million quid that could be spent elsewhere on the squad.

I don't see how that would be considered to be dreadful business at all.

Likely going from his form prior to his move. When he was superb - united and mourinho with that system really doesn't suit him at all.
I can appreciate that but I’m also just skeptical he that was a big fish in Ukraine and isn’t suited to the prem. No shame in that. Many really good players aren’t.

How so?

I know it's humorous to pretend that Smalling is some kind of donkey that has spent his career playing for the likes of Burnley, but he's actually been playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world, who have spent fortunes on trying to replace him but have failed to do so on each occasion.

If we don't sign Zouma, then Smalling will be a massive upgrade on the likes of Holgate and Jagielka ffs. If we do sign Zouma, then I can see Keane being benched, and think it would make sense to cash in on him, and replace him with someone of a similar ability on a free transfer, which would also allow us to bank an extra 20 million quid that could be spent elsewhere on the squad.

I don't see how that would be considered to be dreadful business at all.

Chris Smalling is absolutely garbage.

Saw an article this morning about Arnautovic wanting to leave West Ham and that Everton and Chelsea were the two teams that were mentioned for landing spots. I think we would have a good shoot at getting him if we want to make that move given we would be a step up over west ham, are in need of a striker, could all but guarantee him playing time and we are currently positioned to make a run at the Euroleague next season. It would be interesting to see both him and Richarlison in the line up together since they can both play on the left or as a striker. I feel that the interchanging and movement that SIlva could have them doing could bring our attack it another level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back