Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets see what happens...i hope he doesnt go to Wolves, they would have Diawara and Neves there in the centre then for the long term...brought along by the One True Mout.

When Gana goes haring over to one side to tackle someone who is the player that drops back into his position? Or when he loses the ball from a dodgy pass?

Diawara is more someone who can play CM or DM and as a DM would screen the defence in a zonal area.

And yeah, Diawara is a very good passer of the ball...
When Seamus, Bernard, Richarlison, Gomes, Davies, Walcott, DCL, Tosun, Lookman, Schneiderlin, Digne or Baines gives the ball away in an advanced area who makes sure the other team doesn't counter attack and score? The entire defensive system is built upon a foundation of Gueye plugging holes. Which is why when he isn't there we were a disaster when playing 4 at the back. This isn't just me saying it you can find other people who will say similar.

Amazing watching the shambles a few days ago, stand out performer by a country mile was Gana. He was also missing during that shock run of terrible results.

Only evertonians would be clambering on here for him to be sold.
Gana is amazing player, when everyone cant forgive Walsh for the money he blew lets not forget he got him for 7m, which in today's market is crazy, up there with any of the great finds Moyes did this one. 45m might sound big for Siggy but 52m for him and Gana is fantasic

in basketball they sometimes do trade offers, in 1975 kareem abdul-jabbar was traded to the LA Lakers in exchange for Brian Winters, Elmore Smith, Junior Bridgeman and Dave Meyers imagine if you could do that in football i.e. you could make an offer like bolasie, schneiderlin, mirallas and tosun for werner

Mate no offence but American sports are crap and their system for just about everything is complicated , dramatised and just weird. Such things like a WORLD series , in which only a single country competes , drafting players from colleges , not being able to be drafted if you can’t pass maths , sorry... math, their commentary , upper 90 meaning top corner and let’s not forget the ice hockey type penalty shoot outs they used to have. I have heard the word roster on here a few times and now we are talking about the basket ball transfer system ... sorry I mean recruitment draft or whatever it is . Football or European soccer cannot be comaree to that I’m sorry :)

Mate no offence but American sports are crap and their system for just about everything is complicated , dramatised and just weird. Such things like a WORLD series , in which only a single country competes , drafting players from colleges , not being able to be drafted if you can’t pass maths , sorry... math, their commentary , upper 90 meaning top corner and let’s not forget the ice hockey type penalty shoot outs they used to have. I have heard the word roster on here a few times and now we are talking about the basket ball transfer system ... sorry I mean recruitment draft or whatever it is . Football or European soccer cannot be comaree to that I’m sorry :)

I'm an American and I think this post is more confusing then a college draft, where, team pick players in a predetermined order. Now granted, they don't have to keep them on their rosters...

The World Series was a marketing ploy from 1900 modeled after the World's Fairs that happened around that time and it stuck. Not sure why British people get so stuck up on it but this isn't the first time I've seen it. The draft system was invented as some sports solution to the problem of having the richest teams always win because they can buy up all the players they want. At least in that system some good players will end up playing on teams that aren't always the richest or most popular. I'm sorry but I don't really understand why Europeans have to take pop shots at the American sports and at the same time why Americans are so negative toward soccer in the rest of the world. It's weird to me because at the heart of it all is a bunch of people coming together to watch something they enjoy and support a common team. It's all just for fun so what's the problem that some people do it slightly different?

When Seamus, Bernard, Richarlison, Gomes, Davies, Walcott, DCL, Tosun, Lookman, Schneiderlin, Digne or Baines gives the ball away in an advanced area who makes sure the other team doesn't counter attack and score? The entire defensive system is built upon a foundation of Gueye plugging holes. Which is why when he isn't there we were a disaster when playing 4 at the back. This isn't just me saying it you can find other people who will say similar.

You've hit the problem on the head here...

Youve stated that the entire defensive system is built on a player to run at players and tackle them in front of the defence.

Theres no screening player...

As far as i can tell you have these options:

1 -- A screening player who plays in a zone that can also move back into the middle of the 2 centre backs, splitting them and going into a 3 man defence. This covers the full backs and the zones in which the opposition attacks...

An example of this would be Mascherano or even now Busquets at Barca and both have also been used as emergency centre backs on occasion. This only works with a certain type of DM and was tried unsuccessfully by Pep at City with Stones.

2 -- A player to charge around all over the place in front of the defence who can tackle everything.

The only example i can think of is Gana and as weve seen this can be destroyed by a mis-placed pass with Gana out of position or teams simply passing around him

3 -- Two box to box midfielders taking it in turns to defend / attack - there have been lots of examples of this but usually as teams now play 3 in the centre its becoming rare when using a 4 man defence. Successful teams now also use a deep lying playmaker to cover the central zone whereas we are top heavy due to playing Sigurdsson.

The player in this position should be one of the best players in the team and the fulcrum of the side...at Porto, Neves (now at wolves) was that player, weve also seen Jorginho and in the past even Pirlo and Beckham playing the deep role.

Theres lots of ways to setup the midfield and i think the entire midfield should be changed and is built on the back of having to play Gana and Sigurdsson as we have no other central midfielders.

If you had a choice of a system or tactical approach would you go for a Gana type player or something different?

You've hit the problem on the head here...

Youve stated that the entire defensive system is built on a player to run at players and tackle them in front of the defence.

Theres no screening player...

As far as i can tell you have these options:

1 -- A screening player who plays in a zone that can also move back into the middle of the 2 centre backs, splitting them and going into a 3 man defence. This covers the full backs and the zones in which the opposition attacks...

An example of this would be Mascherano or even now Busquets at Barca and both have also been used as emergency centre backs on occasion. This only works with a certain type of DM and was tried unsuccessfully by Pep at City with Stones.

2 -- A player to charge around all over the place in front of the defence who can tackle everything.

The only example i can think of is Gana and as weve seen this can be destroyed by a mis-placed pass with Gana out of position or teams simply passing around him

3 -- Two box to box midfielders taking it in turns to defend / attack - there have been lots of examples of this but usually as teams now play 3 in the centre its becoming rare when using a 4 man defence. Successful teams now also use a deep lying playmaker to cover the central zone whereas we are top heavy due to playing Sigurdsson.

The player in this position should be one of the best players in the team and the fulcrum of the side...at Porto, Neves (now at wolves) was that player, weve also seen Jorginho and in the past even Pirlo and Beckham playing the deep role.

Theres lots of ways to setup the midfield and i think the entire midfield should be changed and is built on the back of having to play Gana and Sigurdsson as we have no other central midfielders.

If you had a choice of a system or tactical approach would you go for a Gana type player or something different?

Its not just you, Silva would probably prefer to not have Gana or Iceland.

Silva prefers a sitting DM who mops up flanked by 2 number 8s.

But as I keep saying, until they are replaced by better players Gana and Iceland are our 2 best midfielders.

Its not just you, Silva would probably prefer to not have Gana or Iceland.

Silva prefers a sitting DM who mops up flanked by 2 number 8s.

But as I keep saying, until they are replaced by better players Gana and Iceland are our 2 best midfielders.

Indeed, they are our 'only' owned experienced players in the centre worth having on the pitch.

It will be interesting to see how quickly they can be replaced...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back