Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an American and I think this post is more confusing then a college draft, where, team pick players in a predetermined order. Now granted, they don't have to keep them on their rosters...

So they have to pick players they don’t want? You don’t see how that’s weird?

The World Series was a marketing ploy from 1900 modeled after the World's Fairs that happened around that time and it stuck. Not sure why British people get so stuck up on it but this isn't the first time I've seen it. The draft system was invented as some sports solution to the problem of having the richest teams always win because they can buy up all the players they want. At least in that system some good players will end up playing on teams that aren't always the richest or most popular. I'm sorry but I don't really understand why Europeans have to take pop shots at the American sports and at the same time why Americans are so negative toward soccer in the rest of the world. It's weird to me because at the heart of it all is a bunch of people coming together to watch something they enjoy and support a common team. It's all just for fun so what's the problem that some people do it slightly different?

Just find it weird that America does thkngs completely different to everyone else. I mean they started the MLS and decided to have ice hockey style penalties, forcing players to play for teams they don’t want to, saying that you can’t play ball if your grades aren’t good enough for example. If that was adopted everywhere players like messi etc my never have played professionally, pretty sure if that was implemented everywhere that we would be lookong for a new keeper , barkley would still be living in merseyside and Colleen wouldn’t be driving a Bentley. I have nothing against people enjoying things in their own way but Americans seem , to me, to want to be different and sometimes change things that are fine , just for the sake of changing them to make them “ American”

Its not just you, Silva would probably prefer to not have Gana or Iceland.

Silva prefers a sitting DM who mops up flanked by 2 number 8s.

But as I keep saying, until they are replaced by better players Gana and Iceland are our 2 best midfielders.
And just to be totally clear they both need to be replaced. I don't want to see us trying to shoehorn players into the wrong position or just generally making a bigger mess in midfield than we normally do. Get a true deep midfielder in, Doucoure being the first name that popped into my head, and another Gomes type and then go about switching things to that system.

.......it’s day 3 of the January transfer window, and here’s a summary of this Thursday morning’s Toffee transfer gossip;

- According to Spanish newspaper, Marca, Everton have enquired about Barcelona winger, Malcolm. The 21 year old Brazilian has started just 4 La Liga matches since his £36.5m move from Bordeaux and Everton are virtually prepared to match that figure with a £35m bid. Goal, however, suggest Everton face competition for the player from Chinese Super League team, Guangzhou Evergrande who have submitted a £45m bid.

- Sky Sports report Hull City are demanding £20m to prize away winger Jarrod Bowen. Everton and Spurs have been linked with a move for the forward.

- The Daily Mail again say West Brom and West Ham are considering loan moves for Everton’s 28 year old midfielder, James McCarthy.

- Various outlets report Wolves have bid £18m for Chelsea’s 21 year old striker, Tammy Abraham, who is on loan at Aston Villa (I know some folk on here like this player).

Last edited:
If he was a player that had only played in the Championship, sure.

But he's played in the PL for a full season and done nothing.
He was 19/20 in a terrible side.Get some perspective. Shearer, Henry, Kane were all struggling at that age to make an impact

As much as I would like Coleman to return to form, I have come to the conclusion Victor Moses could improve us at rightback. Probably available at a decent price.

I'd be willing to see what Abraham has at that price. He wasn't as awful as some people think last season and that Swansea side was highly dysfunctional. I fear that he's one of those players who is between Premier League and Championship level but I'd trust Brands to make an assessment on whether he could be turned into something more useful.

I'd be willing to see what Abraham has at that price. He wasn't as awful as some people think last season and that Swansea side was highly dysfunctional. I fear that he's one of those players who is between Premier League and Championship level but I'd trust Brands to make an assessment on whether he could be turned into something more useful.

...and I imagine Brands isn’t interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back