Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
And replace him with who?

I'm the first to say I don't think he had his best game yesterday, and we need someone who can bring a bit more offensive ability while bringing some defensive solidity as well. In most likelihood, that player wouldn't be available in January, and the best ones of that type (Ndombele, Doucoure) won't be coming to a mid-table side, especially if (in Ndombele's case) they are already at a CL side or, in Doucoure's case, he's already at a mid-table side :)
Doucoure would swap Watford for Everton in a heartbeat, just like their ex-manager and Richarlison wanted to do. It’s not about where we are now, it’s about where we want to be.

Gana is good when we’re on the back foot and he can break up the attacks. When the onus is on us to go out and win a game, he’s as bad as you can get in that midfield.

We were linked to him ages and ages ago. He looks a beast and a half.

Aye, thing is Bilbao rarely sell their players in their early stages.

I can think of two high profile players that have left in recent years - Llorente, at 28/29, and Martinez, who went Sociedad last year at about 26.

He's definitely got bags of talent, but he is inconsistent (but that's youth).

He's now 24 and on a seven-year deal, so the likelihood of us getting him would be slim.

He scored 10 last season when often utilised wide, as he has been in seasons before. He's now playing regularly as a CF I think, but has struggled with an injury. Think he's on about 8 or 9 goals, but Bilbao have been awful.

Doucoure would swap Watford for Everton in a heartbeat, just like their ex-manager and Richarlison wanted to do. It’s not about where we are now, it’s about where we want to be.

Gana is good when we’re on the back foot and he can break up the attacks. When the onus is on us to go out and win a game, he’s as bad as you can get in that midfield.

I'm not sure he would, not when he has better options. I'm not saying it's impossible, but he's 24/25, and knows that he has the chance to move from a middling club to a club in the CL. It's not like Richarlison, who's 21. We can try and sell him a dream but ultimately he could just skip that part anyway and go to a top club as he's entering his prime. Why would he not? And don't say wages, because Moshiri has already said that isn't going to be our model, at least for now.

Well we've got five games to come against the top 6 at home, and I'd like us to go out and prove we've come on against them. Gana will be key to that. We've hopefully got a cup run to think of. We don't sell - for £30m - in the middle of the season.

I wouldn't sell him at all right now, not in January, but I'd be looking at £40/45m minimum asking price, and only if we had a replacement already in - and a good replacement at that (which again, is the crux of the issue at this time of year).

100%, Inaki Williams is kind of the profile of striker we should be looking at.

Quick, strong, versatile.

He's not a striker who would get 20 a season I don't think, but he does hit double figures.

Now, he's on a seven-year deal at Athletic Bilbao, so perhaps not him, but that's the template that we need I reckon. Someone that can bring what Richarlison brings, but more of a striker's instinct.

Just a footie genius aren’t I.

Like who? We keep conceding without him.
Davies/McCarthy starter no thanks.
You’re talking absolute wham here I’m afraid. He’s second only to Kante in what he does in this league. Two games with Davies or Schneiderlin back in and you’d be crying for Gana back.
Why are you so thick mate
We can buy players how hard is that to understand. I don’t care if gana is the best tackler in world football, he can’t pass the ball 10 yards to a team mate. And is nearly 30. It’s a easy decision sell sell sell sell

And replace him with who?

I'm the first to say I don't think he had his best game yesterday, and we need someone who can bring a bit more offensive ability while bringing some defensive solidity as well. In most likelihood, that player wouldn't be available in January, and the best ones of that type (Ndombele, Doucoure) won't be coming to a mid-table side, especially if (in Ndombele's case) they are already at a CL side or, in Doucoure's case, he's already at a mid-table side :)

Someone who will be on par with Gana, but will cost us about £45/50m.

So it makes sense Toff, sell an important player for us in the middle of the season for £30m, and pay £45/50m to replace him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back