Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe add a young-ish but very decent right back to push Seamus and send Kenny on loan for a year or two. That can also wait until the summer though.

Wingers we're sorted, #10 we're sorted, in goal, CB and LB we're sorted and in the centre of the park we are sorted for starters, perhaps need better than McCarthy, Davies, Schneiderlin as backup. I'd sell two of them and get a quality player in, or again at least a young-ish but decent player who may not expect to be starting every week, but with the potential to come in next year when Gomes ultimately leaves us.

Up top... Tosun is good but not really suited to our system. Niasse is very clearly way out of favour. DCL will always be on the bench. Richarlison looks good imo and Tosun is more than enough for this season.

So all in all, right back and centre of the park. Get two bright prospects in from the Championship or abroad.

No mate I'm thinking Toure Silva Kompany Aguero even the likes of Tevez.
They signed players to take them to the next level....and it worked.

Edit
Add Kevin De Bruyne to that list.

And Fernandinho. Their recruitment has had its ups and downs. Mancini bought some good players then Pellegrini bought a few but also a lot of duds. In fairness to Pep he has added quality even if it is for big fees. Fortunately for us Silva has turned some of Koeman and Walsh’s buys into good ones (Gueye Keane and Lookman now contributing more) as well as sweeping the board with his own signings along with Brands. Sadly the overall recruitment from Martinez and Koeman means we were starting from such a poor position that we may need another few windows to get to a similar stage City got to where Mancini was just breaking into the top 4 and looking at winning the FA Cup.

The exact same arguments could be applied to Gylfi. Completely flopped at Spurs and went back to being the fish in Swansea’s small pond. He’s played well here for the opening months of this season and no more than that. In terms of influence Zaha is probably the most important player to his club outside the top 6 and he also doesn’t have set pieces fluffing up his stats. Whether his importance speaks to his quality or poor management from Hodgson who’s built a team over reliant on him isn’t completely clear, but Palace’s record with and without him speaks for itself. Again, it’s no different really from when Gylfi was at Swansea. Whether zaha can make the step up as Gylfi is now doing.. well I guess someone will have to find out. But already this season we know what a better manager, system and style of play can do.

Personally I’d rather see him on our XI than Walcott, but then I’d rather see Lozano over Zaha, and I’d rather see Dembele over Lozano and so on and so on.

I think the difference with Gylfi is, when we signed him he was doing it on an international stage. Also I don't think he "flopped" at Spurs, they just had lots of central midfielders and sent him out on loan, I think they tried to keep him, but he didn't want to go back. I agree that I would rather have Lozano or Dembele. I think Zaha will go to another London club, Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea.

The exact same arguments could be applied to Gylfi. Completely flopped at Spurs and went back to being the fish in Swansea’s small pond. He’s played well here for the opening months of this season and no more than that. In terms of influence Zaha is probably the most important player to his club outside the top 6 and he also doesn’t have set pieces fluffing up his stats. Whether his importance speaks to his quality or poor management from Hodgson who’s built a team over reliant on him isn’t completely clear, but Palace’s record with and without him speaks for itself. Again, it’s no different really from when Gylfi was at Swansea. Whether zaha can make the step up as Gylfi is now doing.. well I guess someone will have to find out. But already this season we know what a better manager, system and style of play can do.

Personally I’d rather see him on our XI than Walcott, but then I’d rather see Lozano over Zaha, and I’d rather see Dembele over Lozano and so on and so on.
He didn't flop at Spurs, but the POINT is that we aren't going to spend a fortune on a position we are already strong in and won't be incrementally better. It's not a good use of resources.

We're not signing Zaha, especially at the prices being thrown around, but those that don't rate him I don't understand at all. Palace won 11 games last season. When Zaha didn't play they won 0. He commands so much attention that it genuinely makes the other players better when he's playing.

Because palace are god awful mate, zaha got some results for them.by diving for pens.

When your entire team uscsry up to play via you then yes when you're out it will effect the team badly.

No better than Walcott in my eyes and I don't particularly think Walcott's that good either.

No mate I'm thinking Toure Silva Kompany Aguero even the likes of Tevez.
They signed players to take them to the next level....and it worked.

Edit
Add Kevin De Bruyne to that list.

The thing is you’re going back about 10 years for all those players. @Neiler is right, Pellegrini filled that squad out with some genuine dung and rode on the back of Mancini’s signings to win the title. It says a lot that they got progressively worse every season until Pep arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back