Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we don’t sign anyone, we can thank Bolasie for terminating his Villa contract and taking another 70k a week off our already inflated wage bill.

Cheers Yannick.

To be fair, Bolasie didn't hand himself the 70k per week contract.

Fingers needs to be pointed at the people who hired a string of managers, with very different styles, and allowed each one to buy their own set of players. In itself that would be bad but they also handed out some ridiculous contracts. Up shot is that the squad is bloated and players have contracts that they wouldn't get elsewhere.

I got shot down a bit in November/December for suggesting that it would be really difficult to shift a lot of the deadwood. That in essence, due to their contracts situation, you wouldn't be able to bring in high fees.

That's exactly what we are seeing now. Needs to be a massive clear out to get a lot of players off the books. It's so much easier said than done though. The worrying thing is that if resources are scarce come the summer you may see a more sellable, but more important, player sold to raise funds for transfers.

you’re spot on mate. It’s why despite concerns about Silva I’m all for giving him time because we can’t ever get that consistency if we keep sacking managers.

Agree with this completely. A lot of people may have doubts about Silva but a continually churn of manager has not gotten us anywhere. All it's done is left an unbalanced squad that makes it harder and harder for the next manager to succeed. It also points to the lack of foresight and strategic planning at boardroom level. Whilst not every penny has been wasted, for a team playing catch up, we've p****d a huge amount of resources up the wall. On sacking managers, hiring and sacking Director's of Football and on players.

We just can't go on spinning the wheel on managers. If the club think Marco Silva was the man to take the club forward in the summer then let's stick with that. Let the boardroom show some balls and don't bend to the more reactionary element of our fanbase. It might turn out in 2 to 3 years that it was the wrong choice. But at the moment it's the right thing to do.

It’s my biggest worry and it worries me most because even though that’s under 3 very different managers they all still played the same formation and thus needed the same positions filling.

I yearn for a time when we have a settled formation, a settled XI and then we just upgrade 1-2 positions at a time due to age/sales.

Thats what Moyes did for 10 years +. Oh to be back to those times of a solid team, hard to beat, not rolling over and surrendering every week!

Have you noticed that most of the players we are linked with are nearly 30 years old in spite of it being clearly stated at the agm that we would be operating a different model going forward where we buy younger players on lower wages.
If we can move some players out in the next number of days then we may get player/s in but it is dependent on players leaving first.

Yeah, or we could end up with sandro again who will cost us 20m and still get no fee. Dzeko is a quality finisher , excellent technically and can bring others into play , he’s actually won things to which is good. We can’t attract the players we need when they’re in their prime so it’s either when they’re young and hope for the best or as a short term signing like dzeko for two years I think it’s worth it. If he can help get us near the top six for the next season or two then we can hopefully attract a decent striker when he leaves
Short term fixes are a waste of time. We're not going to do anything this season and Dzeko will be even older by next season. If we were pushing for the top 4 it might be worth it, but we need to look to the future, and that means young players.

Short term fixes are a waste of time. We're not going to do anything this season and Dzeko will be even older by next season. If we were pushing for the top 4 it might be worth it, but we need to look to the future, and that means young players.

Yep, I don't see the point of having the bloke. Nothing will change this season for us, we won't finish any higher than 7th, and even that's unlikely atm. Next season? It's another summer where we try to find the right players, they'll need time to gel, and there's likely to be a number of them too. So next year it's unlikely we'll break top 6 either. All the while paying Dzeko a fortune and all the while him getting into pension age. Quality striker, but of no real use to us. Get someone younger if possible who can gel in alongside the rest, give them a year and the season after next we're ready to go, without having to find another striker.

Only away from Home and I'd rip your arm off for that now tbh.

Moyes finished 17th in his second season with an appalling points total but was given time.

Marco and Brands have came in and had a massive job rectifying the wrongs of Koeman and Walsh.

It doesn't happen overnight but I think they're work this summer was excellent and they're well on the they've already build a very good group of individuals.

As was said earlier, adding 1 or 2 at times allows stability and progress but the damage Koeman / Walsh did mean we needed a mass overhaul and it's been done very well IMO. We don't need that over haul no more, not around 1st team starters anyway. It's all about getting shut of those who aren't involved and shrinking a couple of top quality players, each window, if they are available as I fully believe we now have the funds to do that.

The key is time now, if we're honest we aren't going down, we aren't getting top 5 yet we should still get 7th so just giving the manager time is now massive.

If ever results were irrelevant in any season, this is it (apart from the FA cup). It's all about next season and there's a lot of this team I would be very happy to see start next year, regardless of who the manager is. They just need moulding in to a team. Which takes time.

Moyes finished 17th in his second season with an appalling points total but was given time.

Marco and Brands have came in and had a massive job rectifying the wrongs of Koeman and Walsh.

It doesn't happen overnight but I think they're work this summer was excellent and they're well on the they've already build a very good group of individuals.

As was said earlier, adding 1 or 2 at times allows stability and progress but the damage Koeman / Walsh did mean we needed a mass overhaul and it's been done very well IMO. We don't need that over haul no more, not around 1st team starters anyway. It's all about getting shut of those who aren't involved and shrinking a couple of top quality players, each window, if they are available as I fully believe we now have the funds to do that.

The key is time now, if we're honest we aren't going down, we aren't getting top 5 yet we should still get 7th so just giving the manager time is now massive.

If ever results were irrelevant in any season, this is it (apart from the FA cup). It's all about next season and there's a lot of this team I would be very happy to see start next year, regardless of who the manager is. They just need moulding in to a team. Which takes time.
You say their work, but I'm not convinced that Silva had any say, other than on Richarlison who we paid a fortune for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back