Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see all this talk of new strikers but is no one going to point out the glaringly obvious faults in our midfield? We struggle to circulate the ball, keep possession and create chances at all never mind score them, and besides we can excuse having average finishers if we can create quality chances (obvs the strikers have a part to play in that too but we don't even show any signs of creating anything through the middle to even see that there's no movement up top). We create chances at the big sides as we are actually a good pressing team and have more space for attacking transitions once we win the ball back, but struggle badly when we have to play against more defensive sides as either Silva won't adjust tactically, Sigurdsson shies away from the ball and doesn't do anything making us effectively play with 10 men and unable to build from the back, or most likely both.

The only player with any semblance of press resistance at all in that midfield is Gomes, and if he struggles then we struggle - Sigurdsson and Gueye in the same midfield simply does not work unless the third midfielder is superhuman or something. One or both of them need to be replaced, but the system needs to be changed as well. I'd sign 2 new midfielders before a CF.

SmartSelect_20190127-122711_Edge.webp

Our average positions from Saturday. How on earth are you supposed to play a possession based style of football with a shape and system like that? Once we lost the ball Millwall went direct and we were left exposed 2v3 in the scrap for the second ball, and they drew those set plays time and time again from that.

I see all this talk of new strikers but is no one going to point out the glaringly obvious faults in our midfield? We struggle to circulate the ball, keep possession and create chances at all never mind score them, and besides we can excuse having average finishers if we can create quality chances (obvs the strikers have a part to play in that too but we don't even show any signs of creating anything through the middle to even see that there's no movement up top). We create chances at the big sides as we are actually a good pressing team and have more space for attacking transitions once we win the ball back, but struggle badly when we have to play against more defensive sides as either Silva won't adjust tactically, Sigurdsson shies away from the ball and doesn't do anything making us effectively play with 10 men and unable to build from the back, or most likely both.

The only player with any semblance of press resistance at all in that midfield is Gomes, and if he struggles then we struggle - Sigurdsson and Gueye in the same midfield simply does not work unless the third midfielder is superhuman or something. One or both of them need to be replaced, but the system needs to be changed as well. I'd sign 2 new midfielders before a CF.

View attachment 53524

Our average positions from Saturday. How on earth are you supposed to play a possession based style of football with a shape and system like that? Once we lost the ball Millwall went direct and we were left exposed 2v3 in the scrap for the second ball, and they drew those set plays time and time again from that.

Needs to drop Siggy and move to a 3 across the midfield.

Take the ball and do what with it? Barkley doesn’t run with it, he just sits on it, hangs on to it, moves it backwards or sideways, almost never moves forward into space even right in front of him. He doesn’t tackle anyone, either. He’d make us MUCH worse.
He would take it and pass to the opposition and everyone would groan. That's how I remember him

Aye, but it's helpful having a player who can pick a forward pass in midfield.

I see no reason why Gylfi can't fit in a central three. At least try it. If it doesn't work, so be it.
That’s what I’d like to see, he’s done fine there when they’ve taken off Gomes and dropped him deeper, he can pick a pass but is useless at all the little flicks he tries around the box.

We need a striker. Ideally one for the short term and one for the long term. I hope that DCL is the one for the long term, but we need someone else competing in that time frame. But we definitely need one for the end of this season and the next season who can carry the burden whilst the longer term options start to produce.

For that I'd move heaven and earth for a Dzeko or Giroud right now. A decent front man would take so much pressure off the team and allow them some relief. It's not rocket science, and it's pretty much just a sticking plaster for the major surgery that needs doing to the squad, but what would we give for a Kevin Campbell or Big Dunc right now. Get the longer term option in during the summer.

This is my panic for the transfer window.

I would love to see someone come in and not only make the position their own, but be the player that fans idolise. We deserve a hero, just a shame we will have to wait for the summer at least (you would hope that a striker is a big priority) to get one.

Ideally we just sign heroes for each position.

Given the way the season has panned out and given the fact our midfield have been utter dirge for years even with gana, I'd take the money and start the rebuild.

I am a fan ofGana but even with him we don't utilise him correctly, I like him but if it means the end of 4231 I'll deal with him going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back