Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would guess it would be daft from a balance sheet point of view as well. As in, instant loss versus the contract being spread over time. There is a long word beginning with A that I cant spell for that.

Plus, we pay Morgan off for £12m, then as sure as night follows day, he signs for *random club* with a few bob as a signing fee, plus say a pitiful £50k pw.

Everton = Mugs.
Amortisation??
That the one ?

Imagine the minds that would be lost if Sandro came back to the squad next year and became our first choice striker and bagged 15 goals in the season with 8 assists.

The club would be in complete chaos.

View attachment 53120

I think Brands has done a very decent job so far in reducing the wage bill and loaning out players.

These are rough figures but should not be far away from reality.

15 mill in wages from sold players. But the potential to reduce up to 42 mill in wages for another 18 players.

Still a big job on his hands. I would also expect us to want around 6 new players in for the next 2 windows.

So we need to get rid of the big earners and see how much we can recoup in transfers fees along the way.

Your total wage bill is about £110m. The actual wage bill*, as reported in the 2018 accounts, is £145m. Should we just add the extra £35m to the keep column?

*This is for all staff, not just players.

View attachment 53120

I think Brands has done a very decent job so far in reducing the wage bill and loaning out players.

These are rough figures but should not be far away from reality.

15 mill in wages from sold players. But the potential to reduce up to 42 mill in wages for another 18 players.

Still a big job on his hands. I would also expect us to want around 6 new players in for the next 2 windows.

So we need to get rid of the big earners and see how much we can recoup in transfers fees along the way.

So we can’t buy any players, our squad is awful as it is and we can’t sell any players, because no one wants them.

What a great situation we find ourselves in.

We need big money spending, that is if Moshiri trusts Brands.

Pointless bringing Brands in and then not giving him a budget to work with.
Disagree mate. Our squad isn't what it should be given the amount of money we spent over the last 3 years, but it isn't awful. We're probably 4/5 players away from having a team that can compete.

I'm pretty certain that Moshiri does trust Brands. In fact I'm pretty certain that the relative common sense that is coming out of Moshiri's mouth of late was put there in the first place by Brands. That doesn't change the situation we are in, but at least we now have a proper plan and vision to work to and , hopefully, in Brands and Silva, the right people in place to execute that plan.

It won't happen overnight but good steps have already been taken. There is a lot of deadwood to get rid of before we can bring in more players we need, and we have to accept the fact that there is no easy way around that. You can either have a bit of patience as the process will take another 2/3 transfer windows after this one, or you don't.

Disagree mate. Our squad isn't what it should be given the amount of money we spent over the last 3 years, but it isn't awful. We're probably 4/5 players away from having a team that can compete.

I'm pretty certain that Moshiri does trust Brands. In fact I'm pretty certain that the relative common sense that is coming out of Moshiri's mouth of late was put there in the first place by Brands. That doesn't change the situation we are in, but at least we now have a proper plan and vision to work to and , hopefully, in Brands and Silva, the right people in place to execute that plan.

It won't happen overnight but good steps have already been taken. There is a lot of deadwood to get rid of before we can bring in more players we need, and we have to accept the fact that there is no easy way around that. You can either have a bit of patience as the process will take another 2/3 transfer windows after this one, or you don't.

This all day long. Brands and his team need patience.

Can someone put up a list of the 43 first team squad members when their contract ends and how much we think they are been paid
I’d say with some certainty that there are a few players on there that are unsellable due to either been crap players or overpaid and in some cases both
These players we will be stuck with until their contracts run down
Galloway , Garbutt , Mirallas ,Bolassie are some of these.
Also if a player cost 30m and is on a 5 year contract can we knock 6 m off his value every year and if we sell below that price it’s a loss on the books , so the longer they stay the cheaper we can sel them
So loaning them out helps us financially in the long run as they are easier to sell

Can someone put up a list of the 43 first team squad members when their contract ends and how much we think they are been paid
I’d say with some certainty that there are a few players on there that are unsellable due to either been crap players or overpaid and in some cases both
These players we will be stuck with until their contracts run down
Galloway , Garbutt , Mirallas ,Bolassie are some of these.
Also if a player cost 30m and is on a 5 year contract can we knock 6 m off his value every year and if we sell below that price it’s a loss on the books , so the longer they stay the cheaper we can sel them
So loaning them out helps us financially in the long run as they are easier to sell

People could try, but wages would have to be guessed, I just counted how many players our wiki lists really.

If we invested Moshiri's money in quality rather than wasting it on disappointments then we'd be rubbing shoulders with the top 6 and be a good few levels above where we currently are.

Unfortunately we blew it on too many players that offered, or are still offering, too little.

Moshiri is quite obviously not the problem - it is bizarre that some think he is. He's a rich man that has provided a lot of money for us to try and improve but instead we've stockpiled mediocrity.

It's hard to shift ageing, over-payed, mediocre players. It's even harder when we take too long to identify that they're not worthwhile keeping at the club and instead let them stagnate and their value drop while they carry on picking up their wages for essentially making up the numbers in training.

Firing Walsh and appointing Brands has been the turning point but, as good as he may be, he is going to struggle shifting the over-payed, past-their-prime or simply not-good-enough players that we have on our books and it will take more than two transfer windows to write their wages off the books.

Well, could be worse. This time last year Big Sam was our manager and @Eggs news for the day was

#9,339
.....day 17 of the January transfer window and here’s a round-up of rumours for this Wednesday morning:

- Various outlets report Theo Walcott has completed his medical and will finalise a move to Everton today. Depending on which you read, the fee is said to be £20m or £25m.

- The Daily Star say Everton have rejected a loan bid from Real Betis for 22 year old striker, Sandro Ramirez. The Toffees prefer a permanent deal and have set a minimum price tag of £8.8m.

- Estadio Deportivo reports the agent of Barcelona’s Aleix Vidal saying he is talking to clubs in Liverpool and Manchester about a possible transfer but fails to mention which specific teams. The 28 year old mainly plays right wing back.

- According to Guardian’s Deputy Sports Eitor, Ed Aarons, Everton will find out this week if they have won the race to sign French U21 Forward, Martin Terrier. The Toffees are apparently fighting it out with Bournemouth for the £13m rated Lille player, with Lyon also reported to be interested.

- Italian media is reporting that Inter Milan’s move for Barcelona midfielder, Rafinha, is being held up because the player is also considering an offer from Everton.

- Spanish news outlet, Marca, say Everton and Sevilla are interested in Eintracht Frankfurt midfielder, Omar Mascarell. The 24 year old left Real Madrid in 2016 after spending a season long loan at Derby County.

Apologies in advance, but I couldn’t see any links to a Left Back.

Discussion then went onto whether Creswell, Chillwell, or Shaw would make a better LB and if Garbutt could be activated! And a jarg rumour that we were in for Vardy! Bolasie was still being put into teams and Keane was being derided for being complete gash.

We were one position better in the table, but three points worse off. The most remarkable thing for me given our business in the summer is that we're only three points better off. But say what you will, I wouldn't go back one year for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back