Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only other outgoings this window now should be Kone and Gibson.

As it stands, we are one CB short. We play 3 centre backs and only have 4 in the squad; lest we forget that one of those (Holgate) is also our backup RB. So an injury to Coleman would leave us with Williams, Funes Mori and Jagielka. An injury to one of those and we are really struggling.

Oviedo is not good enough; but he's serving a purpose as backup to Baines until this is addressed properly in the summer.

Stekelenberg likewise to Robles. Given Robles' form, a new number one GK can also wait to summer.

Priority: starting CB and a forward player (LW/RW/CF).

I'm already thinking ahead to the summer, not sure if we'll get anyone else in by Tuesday.

£30m+ is a decent enough net outlay for January with poor/non-existent performers offloaded but I think we would have to look at doubling that between June-August if we are to be competitive from the off.

I think we need another 5 signings and my naturally cautious take on all matters Everton is already wondering how we might afford them, not to mention being organised internally and ready to do business early. The stories of Kenwrights continuing involvement in transfer negotiations do not inspire confidence.

Not sure if expecting a ball-park net spend in the summer of approx £60-£70m is fair? Should it be higher? Lower? Would like to hear other opinions on this, in the context of increased TV revenue, commercial revenue etc. Given our current January spending, and the near break-even efforts of last summer, another £70m would see us roughly at the £100M budget that was mooted last summer for Koeman.

I have to admit whilst I'm generally happy with progress, I'm dubious as to whether the summer will finally herald visible evidence of a big net-spend and that we get "take-off" on becoming the ambitious club with means to deliver that we all want.

If we do have that sort of money left in the coffers for transfers, then it will still have to be carefully managed. One £30m signing from a budget of say £60m would mean that Walsh in particular will have to be very creative in finding cheaper solutions in addressing some of the gaps in the squad.

With the Emergence of Holgate and Davies, we've had the impact of 4 new signings this window, which we needed.

I agree we need 5 in the summer, especially if we get Europa league.

I know it's a big ask but could another 1 maybe 2 emerge to fill some gaps? Leaving just 3 or 4 to be recruited.

One or 2 of the below could step up and become big players, or solid fringe players.

DCL, Pennington, Kenny, Dowell, Connolly, Walsh, Browning and Galloway to come back, Niasse, Grant, Charsley, Gethin Jones

...but we desperately needed another CM to add to the others we have for the last 16 games?
Yes. It was easily our weakest position and biggest need. We are starting Barry for heavens sake. Having numbers also does not help when none of them are any good.

We will sign a few no doubt about it, you can see the difference in Everton, if it wasn't for the Nando post, we wouldn't have know about Donker. I think we play a better poker game then in the summer and are keeping it tight lipped about who we are after.

We need to spend now for STCC rules, otherwise it means a big sale, also think that's why we're loaning player so we can sell them in summer for next years STCC.

Have faith Blues 5 days to go

We will sign a few no doubt about it, you can see the difference in Everton, if it wasn't for the Nando post, we wouldn't have know about Donker. I think we play a better poker game then in the summer and are keeping it tight lipped about who we are after.

We need to spend now for STCC rules, otherwise it means a big sale, also think that's why we're loaning player so we can sell them in summer for next years STCC.

Have faith Blues 5 days to go
Always wanted a Terrier, taps nose*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back