Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
davies seems to have emerged as a proper 1st team player just as we were getting schneiderlin...
He was impressing months ago though, and Koeman sees him every day in training.

I hate waste, and this seems like waste to me. Giving United back their cash for a player they would never use and a player we dont desperately require.

Idiocy.

overpaying in January or not being able to get players because they're critical to teams' end of the year plans is common. making signings like schneids and lookman were good moves and we needed to clear out niasse and cleverley. it's been an acceptable window. this summer is where it's at for me in terms of what walsh and koeman can really put together

I hate waste, and this seems like waste to me. Giving United back their cash for a player they would never use and a player we dont desperately require.

Idiocy.

i like him(schneidy)

Yep, which is why it was heartening for us to score a goal like Davies vs City the other day. Power and subtlety; any club in Europe would have been pleased with that goal.
That's true. But how we've played for the bulk of this season suggests that will be the exception that proves the rule. Hope I;m wrong because we can ill afford to go back to route one or semi route one football. We spent years dragging ourselves away from that muck and its return would be unwelcome to say the least.

Davies, McCarthy, Besic, Barry...any of them are good enough to partner Gueye. Now we have another CM that cost £25M which could have been better spent elsewhere in more crucial positions to be filled.

Madness.
Dave , you were the one who comments about Everton supporters having become accustomed to second best and accepting a lower standard from the club.

I think most neutral and unbiased commentators would suggest that Schneiderlin is a better player than the players mentioned by you. Davies is only eighteen and should not have the success or failure of our team on his shoulders.He will need to be rested and there will be games when everything goes wrong for him.
Wrong or right the manager feels that we will have a better team with Schneiderlin and we should compliment him for that.

Dave , you were the one who comments about Everton supporters having become accustomed to second best and accepting a lower standard from the club.

I think most neutral and unbiased commentators would suggest that Schneiderlin is a better player than the players mentioned by you. Davies is only eighteen and should not have the success or failure of our team on his shoulders.He will need to be rested and there will be games when everything goes wrong for him.
Wrong or right the manager feels that we will have a better team with Schneiderlin and we should compliment him for that.
I dont doubt Schneiderlin can do a job here. My point is that a better use of resources would have been to bring in a playmaker or second striker.

Idiocy.
Modern football appears to be heavily midfield based with less and less focus on out-and-out strikers. With that in mind, having a decent selection to choose from is not a bad thing and I think Schneiderlin will prove to be a great signing however much he may have cost.

That's true. But how we've played for the bulk of this season suggests that will be the exception that proves the rule. Hope I;m wrong because we can ill afford to go back to route one or semi route one football. We spent years dragging ourselves away from that muck and its return would be unwelcome to say the least.

Bulk of the season is likely to be first half of the season, which you'd expect would be a transition period as a new coach introduces their ideas. So while not great, I suppose that functional stuff was vital at that stage, mainly because there wasn't a player to link Gana (who breaks up attacks or takes it off the centre backs) to Barkley (who is supposed to make the magic happen in the top third).

Enter Davies and (I think) Schneiderlin. And ok, now we have the football that we like.

Davies, McCarthy, Besic, Barry...any of them are good enough to partner Gueye. Now we have another CM that cost £25M which could have been better spent elsewhere in more crucial positions to be filled.

Madness.
I don't actually think Barry or McCarthy are good enough to partner Gueye. Besic I think is but is too injury prone. The issue for me is balance and we've finally got that if Davies plays because he's box to box, can play an incisive forward pass and can score. This helps out Barkley. If we play Gueye, Schneiderlin and Barkley then it's not as balanced and the creativity and scoring fall on one players shoulders.

Given the way Ron pulled his face at the start of the window, he either:
a) thinks we don't need another striker
b) Rom's off in the summer so he will make do for now and then go big
c) Has something up his sleeve for Tuesday night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back