Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest though, you could say that about United too, if Zlatan gets injured they're toothless.

Only sides in the league I think that wouldn't tank from losing their main forwards would be Chelsea, Spurs, probably Arsenal. Mane leaving for ACN has killed the horrors, for example.

I keep hoping that Pelle's time in China has been a disaster and that he gets sold back to Europe, us in particular. Solves the target man issue straight away

I fear that's where we're headed. If not him then some other Pelle type.

We'll revert back to a team that just hits a few balls into the box and hope to get a goal from there, or knock it long to a target man and pick up the second ball on the edge of the box.

That is the nightmare scenario. That we revert back to that dinosaur club that goes from front to back way too quickly and have zero guile on the pitch. If we turn into Southampton last season then that is a poor indication of where we're headed as a club.

I fear that's where we're headed. If not him then some other Pelle type.

We'll revert back to a team that just hits a few balls into the box and hope to get a goal from there, or knock it long to a target man and oick up the second ball on the edge of the box.

That is the nightmare scenario.
That we revert back to that dinosaur club that goes from to back way too quickly and have zero guile on the pitch. If we turn into Southampton last season then that is a poor indication of where we're headed as a club.

Interesting one though Dave - Spurs defenders play the most long passes in the league and they play excellent football. All about the quick transfer of passes from one end of the field to another.

Yes. It was easily our weakest position and biggest need. We are starting Barry for heavens sake. Having numbers also does not help when none of them are any good.
Davies, McCarthy, Besic, Barry...any of them are good enough to partner Gueye. Now we have another CM that cost £25M which could have been better spent elsewhere in more crucial positions to be filled.

Madness.

Provided that we're a stronger outfit by the end of the window than we were when we first came in, then I for one consider it a massively successful window.

Well in that case most windows we've had have been 'massively successful'... including the summer...

Happy with lookman and Schneiderlin but was expecting a bit more tbh. Especially after Moshiri said this window was our chance to make a statement

Who is a statement though? Maybe if we had made more of a statement on the pitch between October and December, we may have been able to have attracted a player who saw an outside chance of playing Champions League football with Everton next season.

I'm all for strengthening the squad, but it has to be the right player. If that player isn't available then you don't buy player's just to keep fans on a internet forum happy.

The way I am seeing this - We have already managed to offload Niasse, Clev, Del and McGeady and there looks like lots of talk of Gibson, Oviedo and Jags going too before the end of this window, possibly Kone too.

The 2 players brought in so far are very welcome additions and add a bit of something already, plus the emergence of Davies and Holgate is a massive bonus.

I reckon we will spend big on a couple of major targets and shock a few people. One will be a striker, the other a winger or play maker. Also another centre back in for sure if Jags goes, but of not a big name centre half in the summer.

This is what I am hoping for.

Interesting one though Dave - Spurs defenders play the most long passes in the league and they play excellent football. All about the quick transfer of passes from one end of the field to another.
Spurs don't just have that string to their bow though do they? Look at the players they have like Eriksen and Alli, and the class of Kane. They are multi talented outfit and mixing the play up just makes sense...it shouldn't be any PL club's modus operandi.

Spurs don't just have that to their bow though do they? Look at the players they have like Eriksen and Alli, and the class of Kane. They are multi talented outfit and mixing the play up just makes sense...it shouldn't be any PL club's modus operandi.

Agreed, but neither do we; Davies, Barkley and Mirallas all more than capable of the subtle stuff. All about doing it in the right areas

Davies, McCarthy, Besic, Barry...any of them are good enough to partner Gueye. Now we have another CM that cost £25M which could have been better spent elsewhere in more crucial positions to be filled.

Madness.

davies seems to have emerged as a proper 1st team player just as we were getting schneiderlin...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back