Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesnt seem like there is much in the hopper for us right now. With the amount of money being dished out these deals dont seem to appear out of nowhere unless we are planning a couple of unknown Walshy signings from lower euro leagues, I just dont see us adding to what we have. any outs can only be the peripheral or sick notes.
We are in good hands mate, its still early days into his and Moshiri's reign and already there are massive improvements. There WILL be at least one more signing.

I'm absolutely fine with us being more direct

Not bothered in the slightest

If that is indeed Koeman's aim, then I personally would welcome it

We play it on the carpet and we play it in the air

Playing direct has a dirty name in footy these days. There's a massive difference between hit and hope and playing direct though. Although we all hate to give them credit, Liverpool's style when they had Gerrard pinging precision passes for Suarez and Sturridge to run on to was lethal.

Personally I love blood and thunder footy with pace, power but also technique. Chelsea absolutely schooled us in this earlier in the season. If I remember correctly Koeman more or less said that's what we should be aiming for. The transfer activity so far in to his reign certainly have us moving that way. Bring it on.

Modern football appears to be heavily midfield based with less and less focus on out-and-out strikers. With that in mind, having a decent selection to choose from is not a bad thing and I think Schneiderlin will prove to be a great signing however much he may have cost.
You cant do without players who can slot. Dont matter if they're called false 8s or whatever, you need players who have one thing in mind: get a shot off and get as near as you can to the goal to do so.

Bulk of the season is likely to be first half of the season, which you'd expect would be a transition period as a new coach introduces their ideas. So while not great, I suppose that functional stuff was vital at that stage, mainly because there wasn't a player to link Gana (who breaks up attacks or takes it off the centre backs) to Barkley (who is supposed to make the magic happen in the top third).

Enter Davies and (I think) Schneiderlin. And ok, now we have the football that we like.
I think you're reading way too much into the last few games...which also included abject muck against Leicester and Hull.

I don't actually think Barry or McCarthy are good enough to partner Gueye. Besic I think is but is too injury prone. The issue for me is balance and we've finally got that if Davies plays because he's box to box, can play an incisive forward pass and can score. This helps out Barkley. If we play Gueye, Schneiderlin and Barkley then it's not as balanced and the creativity and scoring fall on one players shoulders.
...you've just described Schneiderlin....

Dont be disheartend Tim the club have lost many better players than Rom over the years & survived.
It will be Roms decision if/when he goes , nowt to do with the club.
The year after we sold Lineker we won the league.

Yes, because we could never possibly be replace could we?

Come on Tim, that's not how it works is it old chum?

I just don't think we can get someone better. Certainly don't trust Bill.

A "statement" signing doesn't concern me, City made a few of them when they were in a similar position to us and ended up with Jo and Robinho.

I agree with this to a point.

Adebayor was a bell and everybody knew that, Robinho thought he was signing for Man U and Jo was a big gamble.

You can still make a shrewd statement signing, Koubilaly would have been one of those IMO but it obviously hit snags.

Our starting midfield contains a teenager and a 35 year old. Both will for different reasons lose form. Yet you think we don't need Schneiderlin and still want us to challenge the top 4? Who comes into the team when Davies hits a dip and needs taking out? Top 4 quality players like McCarthy and Gibson? No. Gueye Schneiderlin Barkley Davies and Besic is good competition for 3 midfield spots.
You're missing my point (stated a lot) by a country mile...we need players in other positions desperately. It's not a matter of refusing to see we could in the future require additions to CM.

CM was the most crucial position to strengthen prior to the window in my opinion. Barry, McCarthy aren't good enough, Besic is never fit. If we didn't sign Schneiderlin we would only be left with just Gueye and Davies who are good enough, one is 18 and one is currently thousands of miles away.

No. It wasn't. Not when we had 5 CMs.
We have been scoring for fun lately, Barkleys playing great, the positions you mentioned can wait until summer.

No, they cant. Lukaku gets injured - what happens next?

If we sell lukaku in the summer then we may as well give up and go home. If that's the plan then we can kiss goodbye to so called new everton
I actually don't think he will leave, especially if we keep playing like we have been. We brought in Bolasie who is a really good friend of his, and we are constantly building and growing, showing him the team that we can be and making him the focal point of it. I would really hate to see him leave, but with how we have been playing and growing, I for one think he will stay

Just over 2 weeks ago we were knocked out of the FA Cup and Koeman demanded new signings. I'm not having that the 2 we've brought in Schneiderlen and Lookman (who arguably was brought with the future in mind) are enough to satisfy what he thinks we need. I'm pretty sure we're not done with new signings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back