Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fear that's where we're headed. If not him then some other Pelle type.

We'll revert back to a team that just hits a few balls into the box and hope to get a goal from there, or knock it long to a target man and pick up the second ball on the edge of the box.

That is the nightmare scenario. That we revert back to that dinosaur club that goes from front to back way too quickly and have zero guile on the pitch. If we turn into Southampton last season then that is a poor indication of where we're headed as a club.

There were times over the past two seasons where I briefly awoke from the coma the players had hypnotised me into with their non-penetrative sideways fanny-about-on-the-ball passing where I was screaming at them to just launch it into the box.

It's about balance Dave.

Davies and Barkley being in the team will prevent us playing complete hoofball, they want to get on the ball and pass it on the deck or in Ross' case take it up the pitch on a run.

I said 3/4 first team players would be a good start and prep for the summer.

So far two, could turn out to be a disappointment again

I dont doubt Schneiderlin can do a job here. My point is that a better use of resources would have been to bring in a playmaker or second striker.
I'm firmly in the @davek camp for this one. I'm sure Schneiderlin will be alright, he has to be 22 million pounds of value for me to be taken with him and that's going to be hard for me to see in a defensive midfielder. Though I would have paid it for Gueye, he's brilliant.

I also didn't understand why we had to go out and spend that amount of money on another "does a job" center midfielder and would have preferred another attacker.

If we do not sign another striker the combination of either: Walsh is content with Valencia as backup to Rom (Option to buy solidifies this statement)

Or We have won a few games and the board do not wish to invest anymore money and are actively looking to get rid of players (Mccarthy Jags Niasse Tom Del) to balance the books and get net spend as small as possible.

Either one is worrying for me

Not point in signing turd players just for the sake of signing players. In fact Ron said that he wants quality not quantity so unless the right players with the quality to improve us become available ( which is rare in January) then best wait till the summer.

Last edited:
Awful lot posted about the standard of player we can attract with or without europe.To me only the the very very top end players at the top of their game insist on Champions lge.
Wonder why Kante shunned Champs lge to sign for Chelsea ?
I'm a firm beleiver players moving want lots of money , guaranteed playing time ,stability and possibly a chance of silverware.
Ultimately if you throw enough money at them they will come.
Players wanting Champions lge ....do us a favour....ask Mr Kante.

Really? How about because they stood a much better chance than Leicester of qualifying for it the next year?

I'm firmly in the @davek camp for this one. I'm sure Schneiderlin will be alright, he has to be 22 million pounds of value for me to be taken with him and that's going to be hard for me to see in a defensive midfielder. Though I would have paid it for Gueye, he's brilliant.

I also didn't understand why we had to go out and spend that amount of money on another "does a job" center midfielder and would have preferred another attacker.
So you would prefer McCarthy or Barry over Schneiderlin? Kin unreal

We really need to stop with all of this negativity right now. Our team besides the cup match is unbeaten in 2017. We are making strides and improving with each game. Davies, Schneiderlin, Holgate have been playing very well. With this new formation Barkley is finding some new footing and feeling more confident. I think with our schedule this month we could take 9 points maybe if we are good all 12.

He's hardly done anything of note in his two sub appearances, not that I expected him to, let's not get carried away here.

He's hardly done anything of note in his two sub appearances, not that I expected him to, let's not get carried away here.
I am not saying he has done anything yet, I'm just saying he was a big signing who when he is match fit and comfortable with our team will make our midfield a force to be reckoned with alongside Gueye and Davies

You'd have paid 22m in summer for Gana? Not a chance.

Hes not a Does a job midfielder though... the others are..we are striving to get better ..and we are

Until he proves otherwise to me then I'm convinced he's just a more expensive McCarthy.

In his two substitute appearances he has played very deep. He's another defensive midfielder, not what I wanted personally. I wanted someone like Davies who is constantly looking to get the ball forward support the players in the final third. So far from what I've seen of Schneiderlin that isn't his role.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, or that I'd rather have McCarthy and Barry instead. What I am saying though is the money we spent on yet another defensive midfielder is money I'd have rather seen spent on a different type of player. Obviously, I'm not the manager or Steve Walsh so we bought Schneiderlin and I just have to support him but I'm still allowed to have a bit of a moan about it on this forum.

You'd have paid 22m in summer for Gana? Not a chance.

No, after seeing him play now I'd say he's worth that though. Gueye represents 22 million of value in my eyes. I'm expecting Schneiderlin to deliver the same level of quality to justify his price because if he doesn't I'm going to keep bringing up his fee as a stick to beat him with like the Bolasie boo-boys do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back