Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
We really need to stop with all of this negativity right now. Our team besides the cup match is unbeaten in 2017. We are making strides and improving with each game. Davies, Schneiderlin, Holgate have been playing very well. With this new formation Barkley is finding some new footing and feeling more confident. I think with our schedule this month we could take 9 points maybe if we are good all 12.

Playing direct has a dirty name in footy these days. There's a massive difference between hit and hope and playing direct though. Although we all hate to give them credit, Liverpool's style when they had Gerrard pinging precision passes for Suarez and Sturridge to run on to was lethal.

Personally I love blood and thunder footy with pace, power but also technique. Chelsea absolutely schooled us in this earlier in the season. If I remember correctly Koeman more or less said that's what we should be aiming for. The transfer activity so far in to his reign certainly have us moving that way. Bring it on.

spurs have 3 of the top 10 players who hit the most long balls in the league too, alderweireld, dier and vertonghen

CM was the most crucial position to strengthen prior to the window in my opinion. Barry, McCarthy aren't good enough, Besic is never fit. If we didn't sign Schneiderlin we would only be left with just Gueye and Davies who are good enough, one is 18 and one is currently thousands of miles away. We have been scoring for fun lately, Barkleys playing great, the positions you mentioned can wait until summer.

No. It wasn't. Not when we had 5 CMs.

I dont mind him either. But I dont think his purchase was wise.

In the Gareth Barry thread
Coming up to 36 soon though, so a successor is required urgently and I'll be disappointed if he isn't being pushed for his place after the next two windows.

Will somebody put this tiresome old drone out to pasture please?

You're missing my point (stated a lot) by a country mile...we need players in other positions desperately. It's not a matter of refusing to see we could in the future require additions to CM.

If the player becomes available you get him if possible. If Koeman rates Schneiderlin and wants him in the team then if he becomes available you move before someone else does. His attacking targets may not be available until Summer, do we waste money on players he doesn't really want or sit tight? Remember there's Bolasie'd injury as well. If he recovers there's no point in splashing out big money on his squad place.

No. It wasn't. Not when we had 5 CMs.

No, they cant. Lukaku gets injured - what happens next?

We could have 100 CMs, but even if 98 weren't good enough, we would still need to sign another.

Last 10 goals in the league have come from..

Coleman, Lookman, Davies, Mirallas, Lukaku, Lukaku, Baines, Valencia, Barkley, OG

Not..

Lukaku, Lukaku, Lukaku, Lukaku, Lukaku, Lukaku, Lukaku, Lukaku, Lukaku, Lukaku

Although he is our best player and integral to us. I am still confident with that we could keep clean sheets, dominate the midfield (now we have strengthened it) and nick goals and wins without him as we have many players capable of getting on the score sheet. Not a one man team by any stretch. We have enough to get us to the summer.

Everton have yet to receive an official offer for Phil Jagielka despite the club captain’s predicament at Goodison Park alerting several Premier League clubs, including the inevitable – Sunderland – to his potential availability. The 34-year-old is frustrated at losing his regular first team place under Ronald Koeman – his last start came in the draw at Hull City on 30 December – with Ashley Williams and Ramiro Funes Mori favoured in central defence so far this year.

Koeman still values Jagielka’s leadership in the dressing room and would have no experienced cover in central defence should he allow the England international to leave this month but, as always, that resolve will only be tested by a firm offer. And one has yet to be submitted. Sunderland are also believed to be interested in James McCarthy and Bryan Oviedo – so too Newcastle United for the Republic of Ireland midfielder – but once again Koeman is reluctant to part company with players he views as important cover.

Mind you, he said the same about Gerard Deulofeu before Everton eventually accepted Milan’s loan terms for the Spanish winger. The Everton manager remains keen on securing support for Romelu Lukaku up front before Tuesday’s deadline.

From Andy Hunter in the Guardian

If we do not sign another striker the combination of either: Walsh is content with Valencia as backup to Rom (Option to buy solidifies this statement)

Or We have won a few games and the board do not wish to invest anymore money and are actively looking to get rid of players (Mccarthy Jags Niasse Tom Del) to balance the books and get net spend as small as possible.

Either one is worrying for me

We will sign a few no doubt about it, you can see the difference in Everton, if it wasn't for the Nando post, we wouldn't have know about Donker. I think we play a better poker game then in the summer and are keeping it tight lipped about who we are after.

We need to spend now for STCC rules, otherwise it means a big sale, also think that's why we're loaning player so we can sell them in summer for next years STCC.

Have faith Blues 5 days to go

This. I can't see them wanting to hinder themselves now by not spending the money on wages while we can. I think we'll sign two decent players before the window closes solely because of this.

You're missing my point (stated a lot) by a country mile...we need players in other positions desperately. It's not a matter of refusing to see we could in the future require additions to CM.
What if players of the standard required aren't available? If schneiderlan was and is an improvement on what we have, what's the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back