Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole Baxter story and some of the comments on this thread, some of you should hold your head in shame. None of us know what the lad has been through. Its easy to say he has wasted a wonderful opportunity presented to him twice by taking drugs. We do not know what led Jose to take the path he has. There could be all sorts that has gone on in his personal life that we have no right to know about.

If the club are offering him the chance to get back into football with the U23's i would imagine they have a greater insight into a. what the reasons are/were for his drug taking and b. the state of mind the lad is in now. I for one welcome that our club are seen to be trying to 'help' ex players etc who for whatever reason have hit hard times or are trying to get back on the straight and narrow.

We as a club are a leading light when it comes to the local and surrounding communities, and i for one long hope that continues.

lollollol The lad used to go out and get off his head all the time, hes not a victim.

Ok, tell me how a lad from Bootle who is well known round here for being an absolute whopper, who can't stop sniffing bugle and getting off his box compares, or as you say 'puts it all in perspective' how Gary Speed, (not a wayward young man, like you also described him as) sadly saw no other way out of his troubles than taking his own life.

I can't say he compares, I can't even say I was aware of his reputation till you've enlightened me.

I know he might be an addict, I know addicts in comparison to non-addicts have a reduced life expectancy.

Is he that much of a whopper that you don't want the profession that made him have such an over inflated opinion of himself help him?

It's not fair though, not when players like Ledson and others being let go when all they've done is work hard and keep themselves out of trouble. Why aren't they being given 2nd or 3rd chances when this lad is getting a 15th? Baxter is a waster, he threw any chance of a career at a decentish level through his own stupidity and immaturity. I wouldn't be against the club giving him a job of some kind if he needs the money and a bit of direction in his life to get himself on track but a contract to play football and get paid for it? Even if it's just 10p a week it's still a joke. The club act like a foundation and it has to stop. I'm all for looking after our own and being a caring family but not to be a club that just hands money out to any bloke on the street we used to know.
ledson asked to leave so he could get first team football to be fair.

This whole Baxter story and some of the comments on this thread, some of you should hold your head in shame. None of us know what the lad has been through. Its easy to say he has wasted a wonderful opportunity presented to him twice by taking drugs. We do not know what led Jose to take the path he has. There could be all sorts that has gone on in his personal life that we have no right to know about.

If the club are offering him the chance to get back into football with the U23's i would imagine they have a greater insight into a. what the reasons are/were for his drug taking and b. the state of mind the lad is in now. I for one welcome that our club are seen to be trying to 'help' ex players etc who for whatever reason have hit hard times or are trying to get back on the straight and narrow.

We as a club are a leading light when it comes to the local and surrounding communities, and i for one long hope that continues.

Michael Johnston, who played for Man City in the nineties was labelled in the same way, except his was ale and gambling. The stuff that the press wrote about him, in comparison to what was actually going on his life bore no semblance to the actual reality of his life at that time - chronic depression. I'm not saying Baxter suffers from depesssion, but who knows, he may have real problems, rather than just itchy nostrils.

Unsworth isn't soft, he knows what he's doing. Baxter is never going to get near the first team. At best he gets another chance and gets sold to a lower league club. At worst he blows it and his contract gets ripped up.

I can't say he compares, I can't even say I was aware of his reputation till you've enlightened me.

I know he might be an addict, I know addicts in comparison to non-addicts have a reduced life expectancy.

Is he that much of a whopper that you don't want the profession that made him have such an over inflated opinion of himself help him?
He's that much of a whopper I wouldn't employ him to pick litter let alone on a lucrative (by any standard) professional contract.

Puts it all in perspective, doesn't it?

embargos are literally whenever the club sets them, could be 2 in the morning, or 10am.

Not necessary set by the club but yeah, whenever.

I know of plenty of stories where the journalists have agreed upon a time for the embargo so it benefits them in terms of writing, social media and getting in the next days paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back