Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
The transfer market is out of control average players are commanding ridiculous fees, if China really gets stuck in they will go higher.
The only way forward is to have the best youth policy, both academy and buying, only the mega-rich clubs, which we are not, will be able to buy the very best players
Eh, it's all a matter of good investment and cash up front. If we buy say Kessie for 25M...his value isn't dropping unless he is a complete mess and could be dealt to someone else if we are suddenly cash strapped. If it's because he's young and protectable and that's your point, then I agree. Of course it's cheaper to have academy players coming in, so no arguments there. But the main point is about wise investment in players that hold their value.

The transfer market is out of control average players are commanding ridiculous fees, if China really gets stuck in they will go higher.
The only way forward is to have the best youth policy, both academy and buying, only the mega-rich clubs, which we are not, will be able to buy the very best players

Where on earth have you been for the last 2 decades, our transfer conductor has been relying on sell to buy in inflated markets since the PL started.

Will say though we are one winger down

Which is a bit odd if we don't get cover.
Agreed, which is why we've smartly been linked to a bunch of ride sided middys and strikers. It's to me the biggest need. I'd love a backup for Rom, but he's irreplaceable. However, you find another first team attacker, maybe we have enough flexibility to line up differently and still score goals.

what we are really saying is we can't recruit the finished article so we will target the next generation, hence the links to young Hirst at Sheff Wed and the Manchester City centre half, makes sense and it is great to see young talented youngsters in the first team, they have ability and desire and will offer value in the long term transfer market, play on I say

Those comments are all well and good but we still need a striker. Doesn't seem to be any strikers from the academy that are quite ready for the PL. Unless Lookman is able to play there?
I think he's fine with seeing what Calvert-Lewin can do this season. He made special mention that his injury came at a time when he was going to be in the team quite a bit. Who knows if he can be an adequate backup for a team chasing Europe but I guess we'll see.

Where on earth have you been for the last 2 decades, our transfer conductor has been relying on sell to buy in inflated markets since the PL started.
And the market isn't changing or going anywhere. It's the same for everyone. But it's far from perfect and there is opportunity.

That's a full team though; we'd only be bringing a few of that team up wouldn't we.
It's nice to be top of the under 23 league, but it's all about producing players as opposed to successful teams, as strange as that sounds. Koeman would much prefer a player of the standard of holgate and Davies coming through each year, then a successful title winning team but doesn't produce stand out players.

We need to push the boat out more. Yes it's great we have good youth, but it's the big name signing which we lack. We need one to prove we have the capability to make one happen. Supposedly money is no object, so let's show that.
Yeah but if the one we want isn't available why overspend on someone they don't really want just to get a big name in?

Lukaku getting injured is an issue but we arent getting a top class striker in. Not in January, so its Enner Valencia as back up.

Wingers are not crap; Mirallas, Lookman, Lennon, as well as others can play there.

We have 4 cbs (Williams, Mori, Jagielka, Holgate) which is the standard amount.

I'm not saying our squad is perfect, but we don't need signings anymore than the other 19 clubs.

Can use tgatt line of thinking to not sign any player mate.

Lookman looks a real talent but caveat here, he has played 30 minutes in tgeckeague when we've been playing well in tgoaecganes before he came on..Lennon isn't good enough, mirallas has turned around two years of poor form with a few consecutive good games, as for others who can play there, errrm who exactly?

Jagielka as backup, mate he is finished, his legs have gone, and playing a back 3 you ideally need 5 cbs. We are an injury away from having to revert to four at the back which has never seen us play well this season.

Also why is it tgecoption a top class striker, or Valencia, who was about the fifth best striker at west ham, is there nothing in between?

We desperately need some winners in the squad i.e. people who have actually won trophies / leagues.
I love Baines, Coleman, Jags (although seemingly on his way out) etc but they have never won anything. So we've got these kids coming through who have bags of talent with no-one around them who can lead them through 38 games / a cup competition using their experience.
If we've got cash, go out and get some winners.

We desperately need some winners in the squad i.e. people who have actually won trophies / leagues.
I love Baines, Coleman, Jags (although seemingly on his way out) etc but they have never won anything. So we've got these kids coming through who have bags of talent with no-one around them who can lead them through 38 games / a cup competition using their experience.
If we've got cash, go out and get some winners.

...attitude is an important factor, football needs to matter. I'm not sure we need players who have won something, though. I don't recall many of the mid-80s side winning things before they came and of course Kone, McCarthy and Robles won an FA Cup.

Who we move out is as important right now as who we bring in. Koeman is shaping a squad to suit his approach. We'll only really know where he is going with it at the end of August.

It would be extremely positive if come 1/9/17 the squad still includes Lukaku, has two more £30m level players, two more £10m types players and two more youngsters with Kone, Gibson, Jags etc. gone.

If a bit of this happens in the next 3 days then great but I'd rather we take time than overpay like we did for Bolasie (because Rom was lobbying for him & signing him helped keep him happier).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back