Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
We desperately need some winners in the squad i.e. people who have actually won trophies / leagues.
I love Baines, Coleman, Jags (although seemingly on his way out) etc but they have never won anything. So we've got these kids coming through who have bags of talent with no-one around them who can lead them through 38 games / a cup competition using their experience.
If we've got cash, go out and get some winners.
To that logic we should've won something with Neville, Howard, Saha, Gibson, Distin etc in the side! But we didn't, no point in recruiting for the sake of it. We seem to have brought in better quality than we have so far and arguably done better than most for January. Time for a bit of perspective.

We are not in Europe and we are out of all cup competitions, barring injury , it is not too much to ask him to play one game per week.
Only going on the past 3 seasons mate. He's tailed off in each of them.
I hope I'm wrong and you are right. Just think we'll get a better return from him if we can keep him fresh. Not playing this week will help.

..you're right. The Youth Cup, though, is traditionally a good indicator that you have a good one. The Rooney team wasn't great but it had an exceptional talent and the at this stage of the season, it can oly made it to the final.
I think you will find winning Premier League 2 is the main priority
Sorry mate, what do you mean by this?
Why do you have to judge two separate instances at the same time?
If we sign 4 players @ 30m this window that would be classed as a success by some, if we finish 9th with those extra players it would be a failure.
There can be no sound judgement made, it can only judge success or failure after the fact, not before or in the middle of the season.
If you wanted to make a preliminary judgement on the summer signings, then Gana, Williams and Calvert-Lewin could be judged to be successful, I would put Bollassie in that category, unfortunately, we do not know how his injury will effect him, Valencia maybe not so.
If we finish in the top six then the season and therefore the transfer policy was excellent. We finish 9th or lower questions have to be asked.
However, from my point of view, given the squad, Koeman inherited I expected a relegation fight, therefore my idea of a success may differ from others.

In normal circumstances What you have said is correct, however Everton Don not require some emergency cover from this window, we need root and branch change. We also have to consider that this is the second window of our new era, so it is being realistic to look at the totality of our transfer activity over both windows and that falls short of what was expected. I personally am disappointed and can see why our transfer dealings, our lack of such, ha generated some negativity.
Finally, Koeman went into this window talking of 4/5 signings, we, as supporters, have taken our lead from the manager. We expected more. We can't keep making excuses and believing the next window is the one for us.
It looks like once again we have generated a hope for a much brighter future but have managed to settle for mediocrity.
If we're not happy the chances are RK wont be either.

...attitude is an important factor, football needs to matter. I'm not sure we need players who have won something, though. I don't recall many of the mid-80s side winning things before they came and of course Kone, McCarthy and Robles won an FA Cup.
Genuine question Eggs as I know you've played a high level...

The fact we've won nothing for so long, does that not have an impact on the senior players (the dominant forces in the dressing room)?

I take your point on both the mid-80s and the Wigan lads but in debate i'd say:

We were still a power in the game in late 60s, early 70s so perhaps had more of a winning mentality within the club.

Robles, McCarthy and Kone, whilst brought in as FA Cup winners, I can't imagine are big personalities, or bigger personalities I should say than the likes of Baines, Coleman, Jags etc.

Just imagine, as an example, bringing Wayne Rooney back. Farfetched maybe, but there's a player who would gain respect from talent and that fact he's won everything.

...attitude is an important factor, football needs to matter. I'm not sure we need players who have won something, though. I don't recall many of the mid-80s side winning things before they came and of course Kone, McCarthy and Robles won an FA Cup.
Good point, I recall the Clough Nottingham forest side and at the time thinking "where the f.... did they come from"

To that logic we should've won something with Neville, Howard, Saha, Gibson, Distin etc in the side! But we didn't, no point in recruiting for the sake of it. We seem to have brought in better quality than we have so far and arguably done better than most for January. Time for a bit of perspective.

Yeah that's a good point but:

Did Howard win anything? (genuine q)
Neville I thought was a winner and had a good effect on the team until he started saying we should be happy with top half or whatever he said.
Gibson was a crock
Same with Saha
Distin won the FA Cup I think?

My point, probably poorly executed, was 'Now we have substantial money, let's go out and supplement these talented youngsters with top quality winners. Neville, for all his good practices as a captain, wasn't very good technically. An able CB but not good enough at CM.

Can we not now have both? Quality players who have won leagues.

At the moment they are looking up to senior figures who, despite all the love for them, have won the square-root of nothing.

I think you will find winning Premier League 2 is the main priority

If we sign 4 players @ 30m this window that would be classed as a success by some, if we finish 9th with those extra players it would be a failure.
There can be no sound judgement made, it can only judge success or failure after the fact, not before or in the middle of the season.
If you wanted to make a preliminary judgement on the summer signings, then Gana, Williams and Calvert-Lewin could be judged to be successful, I would put Bollassie in that category, unfortunately, we do not know how his injury will effect him, Valencia maybe not so.
If we finish in the top six then the season and therefore the transfer policy was excellent. We finish 9th or lower questions have to be asked.
However, from my point of view, given the squad, Koeman inherited I expected a relegation fight, therefore my idea of a success may differ from others.

Great post
I'd just say in response though: If we sign a top quality player now but he takes 6 months to acclimatise, it would still be a success getting him in the building.

Conte confirmed Begovic can leave this window. Been linked with him last summer.

i think we should be all over this tbh. Koeman want's 3 keepers and even if he only comes in to be first choice until the end of the season, he's still a very very capable backup should we go for pickford and to replace him when he'll suffer obvious dips in form given his age. No brainer for me, think he's a great keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back