Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well its been well documented that we have cash, so if Koeman et al are ok with the squad till Summer, then fine.

Over to you Ronny.
Thing is again we have proved nothing in terms of 'having money' still. I'm not meaning to sound negative here, but we have spent 30 million give or take depending on real amounts which puts us roughly spending TV money at best.

We still in two windows haven't put up any actual cash for anyone so I don't believe we have proved in any way we have any more money than we did before. Granted I don't want us to go and spend for the sake of it and I am happy with the business we have done this window if that is that minus one or two outgoing, but it still doesn't look like we are using any financial muscle as of yet, even less so if we sell lukaku in the summer

...just watching him on YouTube. The stats are unconvincing but he looks a bit like Arteta in his movement and Barkley in his runs forward. I found it difficult to judge what position he plays.
I didn't see Arteta, but I did see a CM that could push Barkley further up the field. I get that impression from Koeman that he wants Barkley up forward in more of a #10 role. The fact that this kid can make a tackle and has a bit of nasty to him isn't a bad thing, nor does it mean he's a DCM.

He certainly can make a ball move. Talk about being able to strike a ball, my heavens.

Thing is again we have proved nothing in terms of 'having money' still. I'm not meaning to sound negative here, but we have spent 30 million give or take depending on real amounts which puts us roughly spending TV money at best.

We still in two windows haven't put up any actual cash for anyone so I don't believe we have proved in any way we have any more money than we did before. Granted I don't want us to go and spend for the sake of it and I am happy with the business we have done this window if that is that minus one or two outgoing, but it still doesn't look like we are using any financial muscle as of yet, even less so if we sell lukaku in the summer

Sake.

What do you want, a bank statement?

The landscape is changing.

Sake.

What do you want, a bank statement?

The landscape is changing.
Haha not at all. I just think it is premature to be talking about being rich without seeing it used on the pitch.

I mean if we announced the new stadium this summer chances are we will spend next to nohing then as well to pay for it. I will believe we are a financial force when we do something about it. Paying off debts is grand and all but when the teams above us minus the kopite are spending cash and we don't, just feels like not much has changed.

Haha not at all. I just think it is premature to be talking about being rich without seeing it used on the pitch.

I mean if we announced the new stadium this summer chances are we will spend next to nohing then as well to pay for it. I will believe we are a financial force when we do something about it. Paying off debts is grand and all but when the teams above us minus the kopite are spending cash and we don't, just feels like not much has changed.

I think we are the biggest spenders this window.

And dont recall selling anyone of note.

It's not just Liverpool that don't exceed in their spending. It's Spurs and Arsenal as well. To start challenging you don't need buckets of money, just smart recruitment. To win things you'll need money though. So whilst I think it's no surprise we aren't buying big, we don't necessarily need to just yet. When we start mixing it at the top, then that's the time to flex some financial muscle.

I think we are the biggest spenders this window.

And dont recall selling anyone of note.
Aye but it puts our overall spend quite low still even if we did bring a fair few in.

All I'm saying is we haven't proven it yet. Yes we may be the highest spenders this window but that is for 2 only, one of which is for the future anyway. Considering we spent nothing in the summer overall it doesn't count for much we have out spent everyone by signing one player only, just means the other teams got their targets in the summer.

Hell if the rumour of Mccarthy going for anywhere near 15 million are true then thst brings the costs down again even more! Haha I hope we do see an attacker come in, certainly we have apparently put 13 and 10 million up for the two lads we didn't get so I hope we do spend something on one but perhaps lewen is seen as the solution this season now?

As I say I'm happy with our business overall so I'm not moaning about spending. We bought a player in each area in the summer and added our prime target and meant to be a great young winger this window so overall whether you rate the signings or not we have done the job. But in terms of being a financial muscle at all, there has been no signs of it. If 3 years down the line we are playing in a new stadium and spending money in the market then yes, there's the proof right there.

It's not just Liverpool that don't exceed in their spending. It's Spurs and Arsenal as well. To start challenging you don't need buckets of money, just smart recruitment. To win things you'll need money though. So whilst I think it's no surprise we aren't buying big, we don't necessarily need to just yet. When we start mixing it at the top, then that's the time to flex some financial muscle.
Aye I'm not in the mind frame of spending money yo prove a point. We signed well n the summer and signed well this month. I'm not expecting 40 million pound signings whatsoever to come in, said it many times thst we are a mid table club so of course we aren't attracting them here.

My general Pont is that we also haven't proven financial muscle as of yet. In terms of where we need to be we are right on track. 7th is a fair position and I'd be happy to finish there and hopefully bag a Europa place from it. I do feel we need that one summer though where we spend money and sign better players to put our name out there if we do have the money. It would go a long way in perception of us especially if we then built a brand new stadium afterwards. The top 6 needs to be a top 7 basically, and that is us forcing our way into the sky and media attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back